Author Topic: TRU Animal Planet Deep Sea Sub Review  (Read 3974 times)

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
TRU Animal Planet Deep Sea Sub Review
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
Toys R Us "Animal Planet" Deep Dea Sub

I picked up this cool, large sub tonight at Toys R Us with the intentions of customizing it into a 1930's "Flash Gordon"/"Buck Rogers"-type rocketship. I think the shape of this sub (just look at that profile!) begs to be made into an old timey spaceship!

The sub features 4 opening hatches (2 forward facing cockpits and 1 outward facing access hatch on each side) with rather stark interiors. The interiors consist of a seat in each area (the 2 side ones have much shorter bottom parts than the 2 forward facing ones as the sub begins to slim in these areas tapering to the tail) and the 2 cockpits feature blank control areas. The interiors will require extensive reworking for my project, most likely scrapping the stock interiors completely and scratchbuilding new ones. There is a bit of empty space behind the 2 outward facing side seats that could become a cargo/troop area when the stock interior is removed.

Another cool little feature is a pair of hidden, extendable servo arms mounted one on either side of the forward facing cockpits. The arms are very well articulated with ball jointed "shoulders", hinged "elbows" and hinged claws. For my rocketship project, these will be removed and replaced with weapons.

The sub also comes with a decent compliment of additional goodies in the form of 2 figures (7 swivel POA- head, shoulders, hips, ankles), a set of dive gear (mask, flippers, air tank, camera, knife), a wicked little sea sled, a large solid plastic but highly detailed stingray and a gigantic barracuda with lever-activated jaw.

Overall, this is a cool little set for the money ($27.99 + tax) but it does have some drawbacks. The silver plastic used for the hatches feels very flimsy and has a lot of flex often resulting in the hinges popping out of the mounts on the sub so be careful when opening or closing the hatches. The elbows on the servo arms also have similiar issues of popping out, so the same warning applies to them.

This set will be of use to collectors and customizers across the board with some work (mostly redoing the interior areas to look more realistic). Joe collectors can use this sub for either Joe or Cobra with a simple coat of paint or even for the Adventure Team unpainted as yellow is their signature vehicle color. Star Wars and sci-fi customizers can make a retro rocketship like I am or even a steampunk transport with some additional work! Run out and buy at least 1 as soon as you can!

P.S.- If anyone that buys one (or more) of these and doesn't want the stingrays and sea sleds, I can always use more :)
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: TRU Animal Planet Deep Sea Sub Review
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »
Very cool dan, thanks for the review! I too like the looks of this one and can't wait to see you start working on it.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »
Hostile-environment landspeeders.  In fact, when you posted the review and I *tried* to respond on my phone, I was actively writing a piece of fiction set in my Crossing The Black 'verse with a crew that needs a couple of these.  I'll likely pull the side seats out to make a cargo bay and have it be more the equiv of a pick-up with a camper shell.  Remodeling the side doors to swing *up* would be a neat thing, if I can engineer it.  Wish I could hang the turret from the blue HISS on it, but there's too much taper.  And I think I'll replace those small engine-cans with something the just says "POWER!"

Thanks for the review!!  This is definitely a purchase!!

Offline IMPURGE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
wow so funny i just saw this on Sat. are here u wrote a review on it. Thanx for sharing now i know it'll be a for sure buy.
i was thinking of a joe/cobra sub and never thot of maybe speeder. thanks for the review and i can't wait to see what u make of this Spectre.

Offline jenki87

• Ensign
    • My Custom photos
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
looks like something that can be modded into a mini repair vehicle for starships!! then put two astromechs at the side XD