Author Topic: Its time to announce our Birthday Custom Contest!  (Read 25980 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Its time to announce our Birthday Custom Contest!
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »
We are still in the middle of getting all of this worked out as you can see by my graphic below, but we do have the general plan and wanted to let you get started.

Hello Shipyarders, it is contest time again and boy do we have a challenge for you this time! We wanted to bring you a good one that will be ending on the Birthday of ISY (October 27th). For this event we ask you to reimagine/redesign/create your favorite or your own toy line. You may ask, what exactly does this mean? Let's start with reimagine, this would consist of figures from mixed verses. Such as Steampunk Star Wars or Gi Joe, Road Warrior Star Wars,  and many other mash up style customs. Redesign involves things such as looking at a current line at stores and showing how they could have been much better. An example of creating your own line would be a Batman 3 3/4 inch scale line with GI Joe or Micro-man articulation. This is just a few examples of what you could do and we can't wait to see what ideas of your own will be rolling in. Here are the contest particulars:

We want the line to be in 3 3/4 inch scale with a minimum of 4 figures.

For those that choose to, we will allow 2 of these figures to be made prior to this contest (ones you may have posted before). This means you have to make at least 2 new figures as the minimum entry requirement for your line.

For those that choose to you can submit up to 12 figures but no more.

You can also make, repaint or improve a vehicle or beast to submit.

You will have until October 27th to complete your entry. Our birthday is a little earlier than that, but figure folks will like the extra time.

Work in progress pictures are fine here and I will be creating a separate Birthday Contest Final Entry Pictures thread once we get closer to our ending date so my celebrity judges can easily navigate your entries and when we do this you will get twelve pictures of your final entry to post. It is your responsibility to get your entry pictures in said thread when I create it (either as attachments or direct post img codes) so if you need help with that you will need to query a moderator prior to the contest ending. I know it can be a pain posting pictures, but we have great mods here than can help you. Here is the link to post your pictures too:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=8824.0

This one is really wide open as far as options go and feel free to ask questions if you have them. All staff, besides me, are also eligible to participate as I am assembling a panel of custom judges to help me sort these out when this one wraps up. So far our panel of celebrity judges includes (might have one or two more so stay tuned):

Dayton Allen aka Sith Fire 30

Justin aka CHEWIE

Dan Curto

Yours Truly

This one is really our biggest custom contest of the year as we celebrate our birthday and we will be posting up a list of very nice prizes for you to see real soon, but we wanted to give you the contest particulars early so you can get started!

Prize List so far:

Thanks to Hunter PR (courtesy of Hasbro)

SDCC Boba Fett with Han in Carbonite

SDCC Angry Birds SW Special Action Figure Set

Star Wars Black Series 6 inch Sandtrooper

ISY Zombie Exclusive Parts Set
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:47:39 AM by Tamer »

Offline JetpackBlues

• Building Better Worlds
  • Lieutenant
  • We Keep Odd Hours
    • JetpackBlues Blog
Re: Its time to announce our Birthday Custom Contest!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
Sweet. I may have to enter this. I actually had plans to rework an old Steampunk figure. I'm sure I can come up with 3 friends for him. Question (though its probably self explanatory). I was looking at making figures for a relatively new comic that came out. It doesn't fall into Joe, Star Wars or any current superhero universe. Will that be acceptable?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
I was looking at making figures for a relatively new comic that came out. It doesn't fall into Joe, Star Wars or any current superhero universe. Will that be acceptable?

Any line is fine. Its up to your imagination!

Offline DarthDrew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
Very cool, I actually had an idea for a while that would be perfect for this contest, time to get started!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
Sounds like another awesome comp I'm in.

Ron

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:41:36 AM »
Oh boy, this is going to be so exciting! I have a few ideas in my head for this one. Looks like it is time to decide on what I want to go with and get going. I am torn between a Steampunk line and reimagining a Joe line, hmm...

What is everyone else thinking about?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:56:50 AM »
I am kinda wondering if someone will go the new six inch Black Custom Line? I know JPB just made an awesome Shadowtrooper.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
I like the contest and especially like the time frame. I want to say I'm "in" but alas I have many time constraints. I'll try to get into this one, though.

Spry, I have a few ideas but none I want to commit to right now. I always start with delusions of grandeur and have to talk myself down.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:42 AM »
Oh boy, this is going to be so exciting! I have a few ideas in my head for this one. Looks like it is time to decide on what I want to go with and get going. I am torn between a Steampunk line and reimagining a Joe line, hmm...

What is everyone else thinking about?

Hey Spry,

I'm looking at 1 of 5 options maybe a second if time allows, I want to do small dios for each figure but I have no idea which one to choice decisions decisions,

1: DC Superhero line with Batman, Superman, Aquaman and The Flash.
2: Star Trek TOS line with Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty.
3: Star Trek TOS line Villians with Klingon, Gorn, Khan and Romulan.
4: Hanna Barbera line with Birdman, Mighty Mightor, Blue Falcon and Space Ghost.
5: Thunderbirds are go with Scott, Virgil, Gordon, Alan and John Tracy.

Ron

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:59:32 AM »
Would love to enter a contest again, but like DarthSinister I can't say I'm in, at this point. Already got a few ideas though... Which isn't good, because now I just have to get started and add to my huge pile o'WIPs :D

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
Production Platform 3 is committed to providing at least 1 prize to this contest.  At least 1.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
Production Platform 3 is committed to providing at least 1 prize to this contest.  At least 1.

I like the sound of that.

Offline darthstreams

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Streams Customs
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:49 AM »
I'm hoping I have the time to! I've got a lot of ideas! 0/

Offline rex smoke

• A Droid's Worst Nightmare
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
A sad attempt at a WIP preview image

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
A sad attempt at a WIP preview image

Looks good to me.