Author Topic: Jrnyfan's Custom Plastic Diorama Playsets  (Read 53662 times)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Jrnyfan's Custom Plastic Diorama Playsets
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2014, 05:36:45 AM »
Whoa!
Bacta tank good.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
This is coming along brillantly, I can't wait to see more.

Ron

Offline jrnyfan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2014, 07:27:18 AM »
Glad ya'll are enjoying this as much as I am!

This week I managed to get a chair printed on a 3d printer. I'm so impressed that I've gone crazy and just ordered a 3D printer. Work will pause on the Death Star for the moment until I learn how to use this new machine and can add some awesome new stuff to the Death Star. :)

SW Plastic Playsets FB: https://www.facebook.com/swplasticplaysets

SW Plastic Playsets Website & Galleries: https://www.plasticplaysets.com

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2014, 05:03:09 AM »
Well that is pretty cool. Can't wait to see how you like this 3D Printer and how it either makes your life easier or the opposite considering how easy it is to use and print. If I may ask how much did it cost you to get that chair printed? And where did you send your design to have this printed?

I also hope you will share your 3D Printing journey and how you decided what printer to buy, how to set it up, and how to load it up to print, the software you used to create your design, etc. I would love to interview you on an episode of Custom Action Figure News about your playsets and then perhaps down the road we can get into 3d printing once you figure it all out if you are ok with said interview. I am very curious to see how this works.

Off to the front page.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:09:23 AM by Tamer »

Offline jrnyfan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
Well, I work at a school that just got a 3D printer and I sweet talked the teacher into printing this design I made. I really just wanted to test printer and see and feel what a 3D printed object is like. It's much more stiff than thin pieces of Instamorph are. Of course it allows for quite a bit more fine detail. Instamorph mostly sticks to this 3D printer PLA plastic. So, my plan (once I learn how to use the printer and get some decent prints) is to really utilize both materials into the playsets - the results will still be all plastic. :)

I did price the chair out on Shapeways and a couple other printing services - they wanted anywhere from $40 - 80 just for the chair. Clearly I figured I'd be better off biting the bullet and buying a printer rather than getting pieces done professionally. I figure the chair likely cost around $3 - 5 for materials.

I've used 3d software for many years now (I've been a video production teacher for 15 years) - so I don't have too much hurdle to jump through to be able to design things to print - it will just be the actual process or printing (well) I really need to learn how to do.

In the end I suppose I'm picture still using Instamorph to do landscape type pieces, whereas 3D printing can provide detailed, evenly designed pieces (such as guns, chairs, walls, floors, consoles, etc). I'm bubbling over with creativity at the moment - just wish the printer was here, it was in good working order, and I had hours and hours to dedicate to playset making :)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
Expect commissions.
 DH

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2014, 02:38:27 AM »
I am definitely looking forward to seeing your progress as you get one of these and set it up and then start printing.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »
wow great job!!! i too will be watching your progress cant wait to see more !!!

Offline jrnyfan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2014, 02:28:14 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm certainly having a blast and look forward to learning how this 3D print thing can take the playsets to the next level!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »
The chair looks great and as everyone else I'll be watching the progress very closely.

Ron

Offline jrnyfan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:22 PM »
While waiting for the 3D printer to get here, I've been designing. I'm sure these will have to be "fixed," but it's a starting point for some of the playset components I hope to create in the printer. Click on over to FB (in my signature)  to see the other designs.

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
While waiting for the 3D printer to get here, I've been designing. I'm sure these will have to be "fixed," but it's a starting point for some of the playset components I hope to create in the printer. Click on over to FB (in my signature)  to see the other designs.

Seeing Sketchup used to make 3D printer blueprints is so rad. I remember when I first started fiddling with Sketchup years ago having the thought that it would be cool if you could produce models of the things you built onscreen.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
Looks fantastic! I don't know who is gonna be happier, me or you when you get this printer just so I can see what you do with it.

Also folks, I am happy to announce that CAFN will be interviewing this outstanding customizer on May 8th around 6:15PM Eastern so we can hear about all his work and this new printer he is gonna get!

I also got a little package in the mail this week with some of JF's work. Folks, it was like opening the box on a Kenner Playset. It really made my day when I was really having an awful day. Thanks JF. Can't wait to talk with you about your work.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »
This will look great once printed.

I was just wondering do you have to do a computer 3D model for it to print to the 3D printer or can you just scan a picture for it to do the same job?

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »
Ron, far be it from me to comment before Jrny Fan, but I think you have to have some type of CAD type software to get it to work. Trust me, I definitely want to shed some light on that topic.