Author Topic: Darth Crassus Customs  (Read 43253 times)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
Nice job on Rey.
Big H had better watch out with the six inch scale.
Between price and distribution, seeing your customs may the final push serious collectors need to switch to Bandai.

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2015, 03:02:35 AM »
Rey looks so much better now than the way she looked before. Weathering really can improve a figure tremendously and you proved it with this figure!

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
6'' Boushh Leia wash
« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2015, 12:05:16 PM »
I added a bit of weathering to the Leia in Boussh outfit 6'' figure. I used a black detail wash. It's a light effect, but it helps bring some of the detail out and dirty up the outfit (the figure comes with no weathering).

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
Your weathering on Rey and Leia Boussh really look fantastic. It really makes both figures "pop."

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
Your weathering on Rey and Leia Boussh really look fantastic. It really makes both figures "pop."

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the 6'' line, but Hasbro really needs to invest more time and money in adding those finishing touches to the paint apps.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #245 on: October 17, 2015, 04:14:03 AM »
Looks great. I need to get some of this great weathering on the front page. It really does make the figures pop more.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
Review: Revell TFA Millennium Falcon
« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »
I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. I was particularly excited for the Episode VII Millennium Falcon as the Falcon has always been my favorite ship.

First of all, this is only a model in a very loose sense. The pieces aren't attached to a rack so there's no cutting required. All the pieces snap together very easily. In fact, the entire construction took less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn't really recommend this for anybody who wants an involved build. In terms of difficulty, it's probably suited more to younger kids.

That said, the final product is a really nice version of the Millennium Falcon. The ship is over 8 inches long (I believe it's the largest version of the Episode VII Falcon on the market so far). The ship is very detailed. I don't have good photo references of the Falcon from the new movie, but it looks pretty accurate. The guns aren't posable, which is a shame  (but the turret does rotate). However, I'd rather a gun turret that looks too accurate than one that's articulated but too big. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with lights and sounds!

The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the red and gray panels and the cockpit windows. But it doesn't have any weathering or scoring. I decided to add a black wash, which I think brings out the detail and gives it a "used" look, which is appropriate to the Falcon. Part of me thinks Revell should have included a bit more weathering in the basic paint job, but I understand that it probably needed to keep down costs (and the retail price for this model is very reasonable). Besides, it's easy enough to do yourself (this is after all a model!) and highly recommend doing so.

Another (tiny) complaint is that the model doesn't include a stand. It does have landing gear, which works well enough, but a stand would still have been nice to so we could display the ship in mid-flight.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of the Falcon, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of the Original Trilogy Falcon during the 1990s. It cost about $10-15, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have lights and sounds. So $20 for this kit is a bargain.

If you collect Hasbro's Titanium Series, this ship is in scale with the X-Wings and TIE Fighters

NOTE: I received this model for free in exchange for an honest review.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:37:20 PM by darthcrassus »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2015, 04:01:35 AM »
Nice review, I need to find some place to send me some models for honest reviews. Awesome gig!

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »
Nice review, I need to find some place to send me some models for honest reviews. Awesome gig!

Thanks. It's from Amazon. Got the X-Wing and TIE Fighter too. This is actually the first time they've offered models through the review program, so I got lucky.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »
Thanks for the review on this model. Your weathering applications really make it look great.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2015, 09:52:48 AM »
Time to get that model review on the front page.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
Review: Revell TFA Poe Dameron's X-Wing
« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »
I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. Poe Dameron’s X-Wing isn’t my favorite ship, but it seems like it’ll be one of the main ships in the new movie, so I decided to try it out.

First of all, this is only a model in a very loose sense. The pieces aren't attached to a rack so there's no cutting required. All the pieces snap together very easily. In fact, the entire construction took less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn't really recommend this for anybody looking for an involved build. In terms of difficulty, it's probably suited more to younger kids.

That said, the final product is a really nice version of Poe Dameron’s X-Wing. The ship is over 8 inches long. It’s not as large as Hasbro’s X-Wing, but this model uses nice, hard plastic (these laser cannons won’t bend) The ship itself is very detailed. The wings expand so the ship can go into attack formation and the cockpit opens. The interior is quite detailed, but sadly there’s no figure. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with pretty good sound effects!

The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the orange stripes and the cockpit hatch. It doesn’t have any weathering or scoring, but I decided this ship looked better clean (I added a tiny bit of weathering inside the engine intakes).

The ship unfortunately isn’t entirely accurate to the film because the tips of the laser cannons are sideways. Although I’m disappointed, I honestly can’t say it takes away too much from the model. I wouldn’t even have noticed if another reviewer on Amazon hadn’t pointed it out. Truth be told, I actually prefer the laser cannons sideways. I realize this is reason enough for some people not to get the model, so hopefully Revell fixes this in the near future.

Another (tiny) complaint is that the model doesn't include a stand. It does have landing gear, which works well enough, but a stand would still have been nice to so we could display the ship in mid-flight.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of Poe Dameron’s X-Wing, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of Luke Skywalker’s X-Wing during the 1990s. It cost about $10-15, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have sounds, so $20 for this kit is a bargain.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #252 on: November 13, 2015, 03:59:20 AM »
Nice review, do you think these are better than Hasbro's versions of the new ships?

Also, we have an Imperial Review Section where reviews like this would be perfect. Off to share.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »
Nice review, do you think these are better than Hasbro's versions of the new ships?

Also, we have an Imperial Review Section where reviews like this would be perfect. Off to share.

Well it's not 3.75'' scale so it's not quite the same. This one is 8.5'' so it's not small, but obviously not meant to hold a figure. There is a larger Revell model available (I built the Level 1 version, but there's Level 2). I definitely think these are better than the Disney Elite die cast ships, which have rubbery laser cannons. These are made of hard plastic and feel very sturdy, so no warping cannons.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
Review: Revell TFA First Order TIE Fighter
« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »
I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. I’ve grown to love the Special Forces TIE Fighter as a neat variation on a classic ship, so I decided to try it out.

First of all, this is only a model in a very loose sense. The pieces aren't attached to a rack so there's no cutting required. All the pieces snap together very easily. In fact, the entire construction took less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn't really recommend this for anybody looking for an involved build. In terms of difficulty, it's probably suited more to younger kids.

That said, the final product is a nice version of the TIE Fighter. The ship is over 8 inches tall, and unlike Hasbro’s TIE Fighter this model uses nice, hard plastic (these wings won’t warp) The ship itself is very detailed. You can open the cockpit hatch, but sadly there’s no figure. The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the white wing panels and red marking, so no need to worry about paint. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with pretty good light and sound effects! The cockpit lights up red and it has shooting and flying sound effects.

One (tiny) complaint is that the model doesn't include a stand. It does have landing gear, which works well enough, but a stand would still have been nice to so we could display the ship in mid-flight.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of the TIE Fighter, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of the Original Trilogy TIE Fighter during the 1990s. It cost about the same price, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have sounds, so the retail price for this kit is a bargain.