Author Topic: Darth Crassus Customs  (Read 43298 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:49 AM »
Nice, please post all future model reviews here as we have a section:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?board=83.0

Off to share. Also, if you could include the amazon link for the model I could feature that too.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »
Nice, please post all future model reviews here as we have a section:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?board=83.0

Off to share. Also, if you could include the amazon link for the model I could feature that too.

Done!

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
Review: Revell TFA Resistance X-Wing
« Reply #257 on: November 17, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. The Resistance X-Wing might just be my favorite variation of the X-Wing, so I decided to try it out. The model kit is available here: http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Resistance-X-Wing-Fighter-Building/dp/B0125KV6AU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447807192&sr=8-1&keywords=revell+resistance+x-wing

First of all, this is only a model in a very loose sense. The pieces aren't attached to a rack so there's no cutting required. All the pieces snap together very easily. In fact, the entire construction took less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn't really recommend this for anybody looking for an involved build. In terms of difficulty, it's probably suited more to younger kids.

That said, the final product is a really nice version of the X-Wing. The ship is over 8 inches long, and unlike Hasbro’s X-Wing this model uses nice, hard plastic (these laser cannons won’t bend) The ship itself is very detailed. The wings expand so the ship can go into attack formation and the cockpit opens. The interior is quite detailed, but sadly there’s no figure. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with pretty good sound effects!

The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the blue stripes and the cockpit hatch. However, I admit I was a bit disappointed in the lack of weathering. I understand that Revell probably needed to keep down costs (and the retail price for this model is very reasonable), but it just seems so central to this ship. I decided to add a black wash, which I think brings out the detail and gives it a "used" look. I’m very happy with the way it turned out. I might add some more carbon scoring and streak marks like I’ve seen in the promotional photos, but I haven’t decided yet.

The ship unfortunately isn’t entirely accurate to the film because the tips of the laser cannons are sideways. Although I’m disappointed, I can’t say it takes away too from the model. I wouldn’t even have noticed if another reviewer on Amazon hadn’t pointed it out. Truth be told, I actually prefer the laser cannons sideways. I realize this is reason enough for some people not to get the model, so hopefully Revell fixes this in the near future.

Another (tiny) complaint is that the model doesn't include a stand. It does have landing gear, which works well enough, but a stand would still have been nice to so we could display the ship in mid-flight.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of the Resistance X-Wing, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of the Original Trilogy X-Wing during the 1990s. It cost about not much less than this, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have sounds, so the retail price for this kit is a bargain.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:55:29 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »
Nice, model review is now on our front pages.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
Review: 6'' Incendiary Stormtrooper custom by shoeboxtreasures
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »
While most of the collecting world was obsessing over the Battlefront Shock Trooper last week, I discovered a custom Incendiary Stormtrooper on eBay. I haven't bought too many customs from other customizers, but this one really spoke to me.

The custom was made by shoeboxtreasures, whom I haven't heard of before, but this is a really nice quality figure. The paint design kind of resembles the Shock Trooper, but the patterns are a darker red and the figure has more wear. I especially like how it looks like the damage has come from fire, with occasional burn marks and ash.

Perhaps the best part of the figure is the weapon. Unlike Hasbro with the Shock Trooper, shoeboxtreasures took the time to give the figure a cool new looking weapon, as well as a plastic flame effect. If I were to be picky, it doesn't quite look like a flamethrower because there's no fuel tank, but who knows how flamethrowers in Star Wars work.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this figure. A flamethrower trooper is such an intuitive idea that we're getting one in The Force Awakens (and having seen this figure I wish it had similar armor decoration). In fact, it looks like it fits better in the Original Trilogy era than the Shock Trooper. It also helps that shoeboxtreasures sold the figure at a very reasonable price.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #260 on: November 29, 2015, 01:49:05 AM »
Cool! Thanks for the heads up on a possible source for customs.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #261 on: November 29, 2015, 03:50:18 AM »
Nice Trooper. I might have to look this customizer up!

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
First Order pauldrons
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »
I had a few extra First Order pauldrons, so I decided to repaint a few white and black to fill out the ranks of my Stormtrooper and Snowtrooper squads:

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Great review, read whole review! Love the troops! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2015, 03:55:38 AM »
I like the new pauldrons. Makes me wish Hasbro would release an accessory pack like they did in the old days and pauldrons would be great.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
I've always been a big fan of the Hawkbat Battalion Clone Troopers from the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars show.

I decided to make a custom version. I just used a Tamiya weathering kit to add some sand and dirt to the legs, then a poncho from an eBay seller. Quick and simple!

I decided to go with a lighter shade of brown than what we saw in the cartoon, partly because the characters in the show look like they're in the shade.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2015, 03:52:25 AM »
I loved this series, so gotta watch again over Xmas break. You have a great rendition of these characters. Wouldn't it be cool to see a six inch version (or a 3.75" would be even better) version in this style again! Like the soft goods too. Was this rickhor409 for the soft goods? I would love to share the eBay Link in case others want to purchase those soft goods if you don't mind.

Off to share on the pages.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2015, 07:04:30 AM »
I loved this series, so gotta watch again over Xmas break. You have a great rendition of these characters. Wouldn't it be cool to see a six inch version (or a 3.75" would be even better) version in this style again! Like the soft goods too. Was this rickhor409 for the soft goods? I would love to share the eBay Link in case others want to purchase those soft goods if you don't mind.

Off to share on the pages.

Thanks! There was a 3.75'' scale version of this character released a few years back under the TAC line.

Yes, it's from rickhor409, but I don't think he lists this poncho for sale anymore on his eBay store.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
The weathering on your Hawkbat Battalion Clone Trooper looks great.
Is this the Tamiya set: https://www.google.at/search?q=tamiya+weathering+set&biw=1906&bih=946&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj29qyi4tHJAhXKvxQKHRHqACkQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=zI0U5Te1rO9CMM%3A
I have the orange rust/gun metal/silver version. The sets are pretty expensive but worth the price.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:05:47 AM by FialaFernbrugg »

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs