Author Topic: Star Wars Figure Display and Diorama Project [LIVE]  (Read 18757 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Star Wars Figure Display and Diorama Project [LIVE]
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »
Wow, how cool are these!

They look awesome, I can see these selling like hot cakes.

Ron

Offline damonsfast

• Ensign
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »
Are you selling any?

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
Got my sets in today... also posted this at Yakface.

As you can see, the pieces are modular.  You can remove the floor bases if you like, and rearrange the sets (even upside down) if you so desire.  You can have a lot of fun with these as they are very versatile.  The Death Star ones show more "grooves" than the Tantive sets in the pics, but in person they really aren't as noticeable, at least not to my eyes.  And the Tantive sets has some stickers that the Galactic Merchants team used for the black panel areas - these turned out excellent. 

Are these perfect?  No.  Are they worth it?  Hell yes.  Is this better than anything Hasbro has ever done in terms of playsets?  Without a doubt, YES.  And in my opinion, these are way under-priced.  Galactic Merchants has done the collecting community a service with these that deserves the highest praise.

I also noticed that in spite of the $5.00 shipping charge, Galactic Merchants was charged a whopping $30.00 for my order (which I am happy to send them another $25 more to cover this)!  Which I assume means they are going to need to up their charges on future orders.  But it's worth it, in my opinion.  I also hope we see the community to support these guys.  This is obviously a labor of love for them, and to me, this is the BEST item of 2013.  Nothing else even comes close.  These are the best playset items I've seen since Owen Driscoll used to make custom styrene playsets.  Hasbro is clueless... what a goldmine they could have with sets like these.

And for fun... a photonovel-style pic...

Let's hope more environments are on the horizon!  If you got in on the kickstarter campaign, I assume your order will be shipping soon.  I just got my notice last week, and my order was at my doorstep today.

0/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 03:49:14 AM »
For the price I agree with you, I just don't see how you can argue with the type of play and pose ability these sets offer for the price you have to pay for them. This is one of the biggest "duh" moments I have had with Hasbro over the years and there have been many. Thanks CHEWIE for the review and I plan to do the same when I get mine.

For other folks out there who ordered sets of these too we would love to know what you think!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:25 AM »
Great review and yes, these look great! So glad these guys were able to make this happen and hope it is the first of many offerings from them.

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »
These really are fantastic sets - I definitely hope we see more offerings from them, and these open up a whole new world for the collecting community.  The thing is... I don't know if they will be able to meet the demand! 

0/

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
I ordered my perks a little after Chewie did, so I'm hoping to see mine soon.  These look absolutely tremendous!  I appreciate what the guys at Galactic Merchants have done (and are doing) in producing and offering these dio pieces.  I love the fact that they are trying figures, of a certain kind at least, with the upcoming T3 astromech. 

I would love to see what they could do with some Bespin hallways or carbonite chamber flooring... :)

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 06:18:05 PM »
I think Bespin hallways would rock... also, environment pieces like Death Star consoles...

0/

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 03:07:48 AM »
I posted Chewie's pics in the Star Wars Google+ community as well. Furthermore, FlyGuy of Boring Conversation Anyway will upload a YouTube review. I say as soon as you have received your set, take some nice pictures, write up your own thoughts on these and spread the word!

I already mentioned the possibilities of adding LED lights in the Space Station ones, but if I understand correctly, that center piece is a solid piece of plastic, right? Shouldn't matter, we're customizers after all :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
Folks, I just got in my set today and can say hands down that this is the best action figure purchase I have made in years. It just happened to coincide with an order from Hasbro Toy Shop of Mara Jade and the new Stormtrooper and my daughter and I willed away the evening playing with these playsets and I am not sure I have played as much with her in regards to SW Action Figures for years. Needless to say I will be ordering more. Stay tuned for my full review which at the very least will include pictures and I think a video is in order.

Spookymufu

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
new stormtrooper?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »
new stormtrooper?

The new Wave 2 Black Series Stormtrooper Spooky. The one with the E-11 blaster that folds out.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
Death Star Action Figure Display Stand Review:

Hands down I think it is the best action figure product I have bought all year for the price as well as the quality. If you watched the video you saw how simple it is to construct, how easy it is to re-arrange it, and how sturdy it is to play with. My biggest fear with this off the bat was that it would not be able to serve in a playset capacity as it would be too delicate due to the 3D printing. Needless to say that worry was unfounded. My daughter and I have torn it apart dozens of times already and it locks together as soundly as it did when first put together.

The next thing I was worried about from the pre-production grooves which were showing and I happy to report that they really are not noticeable and only enhance the true vintage feel in my opinion. The overall appearance is just iconic. My wife, who rarely delves into my AF Life, comments on it being the scene from the Death Star and she knows little about my beloved films. To compare it with an older Hasbro or Kenner playset the difference in production grooves and molds marks and things along those lines is striking.

I was also overly surprised at the amount of room this possesses. You can easily fit ten figures on it with both sections together (stay tuned for pics of my Driver Customs on it). About the only thing I think I would change about the floor pieces is the pegs as I am not sure they are really needed, but they already offer a peg-less floor base anyhow. I am also thinking that for iconic scenes like Vader vs. Ben one would probably just drill up through the floor if you wanted pegs in specific places. Speaking of altering this, one must note there is ample room for you to hollow out a few areas to light up the wall panels in certain places. I could really see lighting up the middle section and maybe adding a red light here or there.

To continue its praises I was also very surprised about its connectivity. It is like  Lego set in that regard. Everything is interchangeable and I can really see them being able to offer even more combinations like this in the future and being able to connect it all together for an even larger playset. I already can see me wanting to add to this in various floor and wall areas. The size of this is literally up to your area size or your imagination. Can you imagine an Episode 1 through 6 connection!

To wrap this up, I will be promoting this a good bit when they announce their new site when they are ready for new orders. They have given us everything we have wished for for years with Hasbro. I can also see them taking 3D Printing to the next level with dio accessories and even action figures should they put their mind to it. So, if you didn't see it from my daughter, I gave this four thumbs way up. I look forward to doing the review on their Space Cruiser set too and I can already say it will be more than favorable too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:44:46 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 03:41:57 AM »
I noticed this on the Galactic Merchant's Facebook Page!

Now that was a pretty cool thing to do!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
Aw, that's great! And well deserved!

....stay tuned for pics of my Driver Customs on it....

Still staying tuned here.... Don't know how much longer I can hold on....  ;)