Author Topic: What is your favorite SW Book or Series?  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
What is your favorite SW Book or Series?
« on: July 05, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
I started up an Amazon Book Widget (some of my favorites), but I know I haven't read em all.

I was also wondering which was your favorite? I would like to get them all together on the Amazon Book Widget and then folks can go look at em in one place. And thank you for giving me your favorite. If possible when you list a favorite here to make sure I load the right one can you list your favorites this way please:

1. Book title
2. Book cover image
3. Very short synopsis or story description (if possible)

Personally, I liked the Republic Commando Series and the Darth Bane Series as well as the Lost Tribe of the Sith. I have heard the X-Wing Books were good and am planning on buying those next. Currently I just purchased Darth Plaeguis and need to start reading that one.

Books on our Widget so far:

Republic Commando Series:

As the Clone Wars rage, victory or defeat lies in the hands of elite squads that take on the toughest assignments in the galaxy–stone-cold soldiers who go where no one else would, to do what no one else could. . . .

Hard Contact

Triple Zero

True Colors

Order 66

Imperial Commando: 501st

The Thrawn Series

Five years after the fall of the Empire, Luke Skywalker is the first in a new line of Jedi Knights. Han Solo and Princess Leia have married, together assuming many burdens of the New Republic's government. But across the galaxy lies a dying part of the Empire - all the more dangerous near death - and it has just discovered something that could bring it back to life! The last of the Emperor's warlords, Admiral Thrawn, is ready to destroy the New Republic - and the odds are stacked heavily against Luke, Leia, and Han!

Thrawn Trilogy

Individual Books in Series:

Heir to the Empire

Dark Force Rising

The Last Command

All three paperbacks

The Hand of Thrawn

Spectre of the Past

Vison of the Future

Shadows of the Empire

Shadows of the Empire illuminates the shadowy outlines of a criminal conspiracy that exists in the background of the events in the movies, ruled by a character new to us. Prince Xizor is a mastermind of evil who dares to oppose one of the best-known fictional villains of all time: Darth Vader. The story involves all the featured Star Wars movie characters, plus Emperor Palpatine and, of course, Lord Vader himself.

Death Star

The Death Star’s name says it all, with bone-chilling accuracy. It is a virtual world unto itself–equipped with uncanny power for a singularly brutal purpose: to obliterate entire planets in the blink of an eye. Its annihilation of the planet Alderaan, at the merciless command of Grand Moff Tarkin, lives in infamy. And its own ultimate destruction, at the hands of Luke Skywalker, is the stuff of legend. But what is the whole story, and who are the players, behind the creation of this world-killing satellite of doom?

Darth Bane Series:

“Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it.”
–Darth Bane, Dark Lord of the Sith

On the run from vengeful Republic forces, Dessel, a cortosis miner, vanishes into the ranks of the Sith army and ships out to join the bloody war against the Republic and its Jedi champions. There, Dessel’s brutality, cunning, and exceptional command of the Force swiftly win him renown as a warrior. But in the eyes of his watchful masters, a far greater destiny awaits him.
As an acolyte in the Sith academy, studying the secrets and skills of the dark side, Dessel embraces his new identity: Bane. But the true test is yet to come. In order to gain acceptance into the Brotherhood of Darkness, he must defy the most sacred traditions and reject all he has been taught. It is a trial by fire in which he must surrender fully to the dark side–and forge from the ashes a new era of absolute power.

Path of Destruction

Rule of Two

Dynasty of Evil

Star Wars Zombie Series:

When the Imperial prison barge Purge—temporary home to five hundred of the galaxy’s most ruthless killers, rebels, scoundrels, and thieves—breaks down in a distant part of space, its only hope appears to lie with a Star Destroyer found drifting and seemingly abandoned. But when a boarding party from the Purge is sent to scavenge for parts, only half of them come back—bringing with them a horrific disease so lethal that within hours nearly all aboard the Purge die in ways too hideous to imagine. And death is only the beginning. The Purge’s half-dozen survivors will do whatever it takes to stay alive. But nothing can prepare them for what lies waiting aboard the Star Destroyer. For the dead are rising: soulless, unstoppable, and unspeakably hungry.

Death Troopers

Red Harvest

I will work on more of these as time allows. I think this will be a really cool section. I also think this book (for those who want to get serious about their SW Reading) is a great compendium of most of the stuff that is out there. It is hard to fathom so much has been written:

The Essential Reader's Companion
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:56:00 PM by Tamer »

Spookymufu

Re: What is your favorite SW Book or Series?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
out of the few I have read, I enjoyed "Death Star" the most.

Offline Hand So Low

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »
Plaeguis is a good read.

I just finished the Bane trilogy about a week ago.

My suggestion isn't really a series. If you haven't read Phantom Menace, put that on your widget. It tells the story much better than the movie and its much more a boy's adventure than what we saw on screen.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
Spooky, I like what you did. Folks if you have a SW Book to share for the widget here is what I would like to see so I can get it right for our widget

1. Book title
2. Book cover image
3. Very short synopsis or story description

Thank you for sharing your general favorites and any new reads you liked!

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »
Don't have time to put all the info but my fav is still the Thwarn Trilogy, awesome series. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
Don't have time to put all the info but my fav is still the Thwarn Trilogy, awesome series. 

How could I forget that one! Or Shadows of the Empire too!

Spookymufu

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
I must be the only one on the planet that didnt like Shadows of the Empire

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »

I just think the story was so character rich you just had to like it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »
Ok, I want to add the X-Wing Novels, but think that is pretty much up to date with what folks have given me here so far. Keep em coming and I will keep adding them.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »

I won't say I hated it but I didn't love it either.  Dash seemed a cheap Han Solo fill in and I hated how Luke "Suddenly knew" how to use the force.  Granted it would have been hard to handle Luke in another fashion without screwing up continuity, but I thought it was lame as presented.

Only thing I can add is I tried to read Death Troopers over 5 times and couldn't get past the second chapter.  It simply did not engage me in the slightest which is hard to do because regardless I can find some merit in almost any book but with Death Troopers everything was just so forced and it was so obvious that it lent itself to a very unenjoyable read for me.  Again just my opinion but I felt it was a "Slap a fad" on a Star Wars logo rather than being something interesting.  Hopefully they never try "50 Shades of Leia"   

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Spookymufu

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:46:54 AM »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
Oh yes, deathtroopers is a must read.

Offline nickeltcd

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:42 PM »
The X-wing series is the best if you were ever a rebel fan. I just bought the new one.
I also loved the Han Solo trilogy.
 Sorry i can't get the pictures to load.

By the Knights of Mandalore, our Quest will ring true

Offline nickeltcd

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »
okay i can load them, SIlly me!!!
the other two HS Trilogy are: #3 Rebel dawn with a fateful meeting with Boba Fett at the end ( no spolier)
and # 2- The Hutt Gambit
 They tell a great back story on the great hero and smuggler.

By the Knights of Mandalore, our Quest will ring true

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »
Cool, I will get those and the X-Wing Series loaded real soon. Thanks for the input folks.