Author Topic: Star Wars: Rebels  (Read 27992 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Star Wars: Rebels
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 01:30:04 AM »
Anyone have any opinions after seeing this first episode?

For me I loved it for the most part. I don't think the animation is as superb as it was in The Clone Wars though. I saw those Wookies and grimaced. They looked to me like walking piles of you know what, especially the young one. Some of the shots were just flawless and then some were just leaving me with a what the (insert own expleteive). I also thought if I saw Ezra's hair flip awful one more time (the animation is really bad for that) and go from one position to another because there wasn't any animation I was gonna go nuts (it made my eyes twitch at one point). I also think it draws heavily on the animation and character art we see from Disney too so I might be a bit biased when it comes to that as well.

I also had just a bit of a problem with transitions. Some of them were forced, some of them were just non existent and you just went to a new scene out of the blue. I also thought some of the problems they got themselves into they got out of a little too easily. I know the Imperials are not flawless, but it literally looks like most of the Imperials outside of main characters are gonna look like the clowns. I mean four people sneaking back onto an Imperial Star Destroyer that the bad guys know is coming and everyone still gets surprised? Once again I had to keep remember this was for kids, not big kids like me. Not everything has to be perfect or rationale. It just has to be fun, and fun it was!

However, it is way too soon to make an overall judgement. I am thinking perhaps the budget for this is  not as large as TCW so I won't expect the extreme of 3D animation we saw in TCW. I know I am wrong for even bringing that series even into this semi-review. It is like comparing apples to oranges. One thing I think is their strong point is their characters. The heroes especially seem like they are gonna be a fun group and it will be great seeing them get into and out of trouble together. Chopper is a hit and I must sat the AT-DP and AT-DP Drivers are gonna be a fun new way for me to enjoy walkers. I am also already hoping we get to see those great new speeders in three and three quarter format. It also didn't hurt my eyes to see numerous Star Destroyers.

Star Wars is back on TV folks and there is just nothing bad you can say about that!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:35:19 AM by Tamer »

Offline halnarthax87

• Non-Canonical Legend
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
I haven't been so excited about the Star Wars universe in a long time (ago in a galaxy far far away). I think back on how Clone Wars got off to a somewhat mediocre, uneven, kinda crummy start and evolved into something incredible. In my opinion this series is off to a start on par with the later seasons of Clone Wars. For a start, it's set in the era of Star Wars that I prefer. I will say that Clone Wars made me like the prequel era better than the films did, but we're finally back to a man against man struggle which I prefer to man against machine. It adds more drama to know that the enemies are humans. I will say for all the people claiming it isn't as "dark" as Clone Wars... I would argue it's as dark and probably going to get darker. Two episodes in and we're dealing with fascism, slavery, illegal arms dealing, genocide... and we have actual people getting shot and killed on a frequent basis, and in some macabre cases played for laughs.
More importantly though, the show is just plain fun, which Star Wars should be. I have no problem with Star Wars getting dark, in fact it should at certain points, but it shouldn't be the overall tone. Rebels captures that tone of light spirited adventure set in a dark time punctuated with moments of levity. I found all the characters engaging and I'm excited to see how they all develop. None of them came off as obnoxious pandering, even Ezra and Sabine who I worried about came off as likable and very intriguing characters that were easy to root for. The main villain thus far is a worthy foe, and clearly ruthless as any good star wars villain. Seriously, Kallus kills one of his men just for asking a fairly reasonable question in a  moment of black comedy. This dude is bad news.
The animation is different from Clone Wars, yes, and not quite up to par in detail but stylistically I think it's a vast improvement. As the show progresses I have no doubt the animation will improve (Yes, the wookiees looked a bit... off) but I honestly didn't care because I was wrapped up in the story and the characters... and in the words of Lucas back in the day, "Special effects are just a tool, a means of telling a story. People have a tendency to confuse them as an end to themselves. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing" (I wish he remembered that in the late 90s early 2000s but oh well).
Most importantly, like the original Star Wars there is a true sense of wonder and awe for the events unfolding given that we are following a fish out of water everyman who is easy to identify with. For example, when Ezra first travels through space it's no longer a dull routine of getting from point A to point B, it's a huge deal. And whereas the lightsabers were overused to the point of boredom in the prequels... now whenever we see one ignited it has a serious impact.
Given that Clone Wars had an incredibly rocky start and became something incredible, this series is off to a firmly entertaining and well thought out beginning and I can't wait to see where they go with it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:08:46 PM by halnarthax87 »
The exploits of my life are less canonical than they are legendary.

-H.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »
The show was quite ok, I didn't have high hopes at first, but was better than expected. A bit too stretched with the might of Empire being fooled so easily by a small gang of rebels, plus some of the scenes were too artificial, but I guess they were ok for a cartoon. I was never a fan of Clone Wars, but I kind of Like Rebels.

Not that I would start collecting from the show or that I'd get the DVD unless a big discount. But nice to get back in the SW universe even if the animated characters and some of the locations are a bit too stylized. It captures the feel of OT pretty well, with minor exceptions/fails. Will be waiting for more

I like the McQuarrie nod:

BTW the Rebels main ship looks a lot like the Aliens Narcissus ship:

https://www.google.ro/search?q=alien+narcissus&biw=1067&bih=733&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xKEvVJfSGYS_ywPtj4KIDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 06:27:38 AM »
I thought so too on the ALIEN ship Serg. I can see there will be a lot of nods to other Sci-Fi vehicles and characters and the trailer video for the next installment (on the front page yesterday) showcased a really Pitch Black Riddick feel.

I am watching this right now as I am going along and I am really liking all the OT nods I am seeing and being a mainly OT fan this is really appealing to me a bit more than TCW. I am still having a hard time looking at the Wookies, but thats probably just me.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
Watched the Droids in Distress episode today on the xd app.
The walkers were awesome. I like watching Ezra discover his force abilities. I could do without the familiar droids being in there. I'll bet george loves it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2014, 05:27:21 AM »
I was thinking the same about C3PO and R2, this already has enough classic nods that I don't think any of them need to play major characters or be involved in major plot lines.

Isn't it funny how you can stay one episode ahead online? I don't know what the thinking is with that one, I mean who will want to watch it on tv at the regular time when you can watch it a week earlier and just plug you hdmi cord into your tv (thats what I did to get the big screen experience)?

Did anyone notice the speeders? Believe we saw that yellow one in the front of the cantina during A New Hope.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »
Guess I missed the speeders.
Don't know what the reasoning is for the one week jump. Guess they are trying to push the whole online thing. A little competition for netfliks.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
Spoiler Alert here is the Speeder I am talking about from Droids in Distress:

http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/star-wars-rebels/video/VDKA0_phcyp1px/01/01-droids-in-distress

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 04:24:17 AM »
Spoiler Alert: the second regular episode is up on Watch Disney XD Go. It was cool to see the Imperial Troop Transport:

http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/star-wars-rebels/video/vdka0_0pm8o2cu/01/02-fighter-flight

Offline bobby-brazil

• Ensign
  • I made a few modifications my self
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »
 I for one really like this series, I like this series much better than the clone wars and episodes 1through 3. I like how they use the "prototype" drawings and we allready have alot of the figures in the show, most of the Ralph McQuaries characters have been used or will be. Disney has shown tie fighters do not have landing gear, I like the different helmets in use. But most of all chopper is the best. I know tamer has his likes and I like them also, but we have tie pilots! And more tie pilots! Even if they seem dumb. But seriously this show has the "feel" of the ot and I like it

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 01:59:16 AM »
I agree, it has enough of an OT Feel to get me hooked. I am just waiting to see an AT-AT!

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 01:21:39 AM »
Same here, will be watching the series as well. If I miss it on Disney Channel there are online sites having it for free too.
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »
Disney has shown tie fighters do not have landing gear,  I know tamer has his likes and I like them also, but we have tie pilots! And more tie pilots!

To be honest of all the things I've seen in the show that I could criticize is the Ties "parked" on their wings like the 3-3/4" toy is the 1 thing that's kind of annoyed me. In the 1hr episode where Hera sees them parked on the launch deck of the Star Destroyer and when Zeb sees one and jumps inside it.

I've always been a tech-schematic head... and known that Tie/ln Tie-Interceptors Tie-Bombers hang in racks up in an ISD's launch bays's rafters and don't park on their wings as they wouldnt be strong enough to hold up the cockpit over time. So even in the rogue squadron comics they have portable tie-mover vehicles that move them around when on land/decks, I know it's a small think to be irked about ... but i cringe at it... oh and the Stormtroopers terri-bad aim...lol. Then I remember it's a kids show sprinkled with adolescent themes and drama.

and that it's STAR WARS back on TV every week again... so I can forgive it... then I saw all the girly posters in Zeb's room and I let it ride..lol.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:14:07 PM by Rezikai »

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »
I agree about the TIEs sitting on their wings.

Anyway we really need a show to present us the first days of the emperor, of Vader and the Clones transitioned to Stormtroopers. Because I'm still amazed how good the Clonetroopers were in Clone Wars and now they suck as Stormtroopers. And we have to really consider them being the same guys, but in different armor and with different agenda.
My collection
Trade Feedback