Author Topic: Lucasclones's Massive Vintage GIJoe haul  (Read 6481 times)

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
Lucasclones's Massive Vintage GIJoe haul
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
I decided to make a new thread for this rather then posting in the "Recent Joe Purchases Haul" for a few reasons. One:  even though this was a recent purchase non of these figures are by no means recent and two: I figured I could do a mini review of each figure as I post them to fill you guys who may not be familiar with these characters (especially you young whipersnappers) as to what made them so great.

So, to start I must say that I got a great deal on this haul roughly around 50 figures mostly complete and in very near mint condition. These were all mostly post '86 era Joes so you wont see Duke, Flint, Lady J and Roadblock like in the new Retaliation movie.

I will begin with my all time favorite vintage cobra trooper figure... the Alley Viper.

The ALLEY VIPERS are the Cobra equivalent of a police S.W.A.T. unit or British S.A.S. (Special Air Service). They form the spearhead of Cobra's inner-city invasion forces. This elite contingent of marauders are true masters of brutality, possessing a style of ruthlessness not present in other Cobra soldiers! Recruited from Cobra's most diabolical combat divisions, Alley Vipers use various forms of treachery to achieve their objectives! In order to graduate from their training program, they are required to survive a full burst of machine gun fire across their frontal body armor, execute a thirty foot jump onto concrete with full combat load and run down a hundred meter gas-filled corridor without a gas mask!

"Alley-Vipers are big and strong as well as ruthless! Their body armor alone weighs 50 pounds and they carry at least 30 pounds of weapons, ammo, grenades and climbing gear. You definitely don't want one of these gorillas running up and kicking your door down!"

-From the file card
He is pretty much Mint. Only way to get him better is to go back in time and pick him up off the pegs.
I remember getting him and thinking the neon was too much, but as time went on it grew on me to where now he is so awesome. Here is a link to all his details on Yojoe if you want to know more about him:
http://www.yojoe.com/action/89/alleyviper.shtml

I will be posting these guys a little at a time. Hope you enjoy the posts.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
Re: Lucasclones's Massive Vintage GIJoe haul
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »
I really love Alley, on paper it shouldn't look so cool but it really is awesome.  Who'd thunk blue and orange would work on an action figure. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
I think it looks great. Look for me to spotlight these on the front page if you don't Chad.

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:22:55 AM »
This is taking me back to my childhood. I look forward to seeing more in this thread.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:27:35 AM »
You and me both buddy. There is just something about these old toys even though I am totally hooked onthe modern designs of figures I still love these.

Ok next up is Outback:

http://www.yojoe.com/action/87/outback.shtml
Outback is just one of those all time awesomely designed character and toy. From the removable flashlight and webbing to the headsculpt and the great backstory on the file card:
http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/87/outback.shtml

He is just one of my all time favorite Joes. My favorite story about outba ck was in this issue of special missions:
In Borovia, Outback has just slipped down through a sewer grate. Above him is the injured Snow Job and Quick Kick with Stalker protecting them, he has just been ordered by Stalker to leave his teammates behind. The mission that they were on has gone very wrong and Colonel Ratnikov's Army has surrounded the Joe team.
Outback's new mission is to escape and report back to Hawk what really happened. As Stalker, Snow Job and Quick Kick are loaded up into a truck to be taken to a gulag prison; Outback takes off down the sewer. Col. Ratnikov realizes that Outback is missing and has his soldiers begin searching for him, including the sewers.
Using a compass and a Michelin guide Outback makes his way to the outskirts of the city. Ratnikov orders his troops to fill the sewers with gas and light it up. Outback sensing that something is wrong climbs out of the sewer just as the flames go past him. His exit brings him to a market, where he steals some clothing to disguise himself, makes a deal with a chicken farmer to buy his truck and takes off out of the city towards the border.
Col. Ratnikov has closed the border and intensified the search for Outback. His soldiers discover the chicken farmer, who then agrees to help Ratnikov find Outback.
Driving along, Outback sees a hitchhiker thinking it is better to travel with another person he picks up the hitchhiker. The hitchhiker pulls gun on Outback and threatens to kill him. As the truck is headed down a hill, Outback slams on the breaks forcing the hitchhiker into the window, just to make sure Outback slams his head into the window a couple more times. He then jumps out of the truck as it goes off the road.
Col. Ratnikov and the chicken farmer are in a helicopter when they spot the crashed truck. After landing, they follow a blood trail that Outback has left behind. The blood trail leads to Outback laying face down in the snow. As they approach the body, Outback jumps up from the side catching Ratnikov off guard. He had set a trap using his clothing to look like he was dead. He then takes Ratnikov's clothing and they climb in the helicopter and he destroys the helicopter's compass. Guiding the chopper with his personal compass, he guides the helicopter to a specific area and then jumps out of with a parachute.
Outback has guided them to the border, not realizing that they have crossed the border's air space the helicopter is blown up with Ratnikov inside it. The border guards then capture Outback, who asks to see the American Consul.
Summary by Josh Eggebeen

Hope you guys enjoy, back in a few days with more

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
Nice, on the front page. Making me want to get some vintage joes.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:30:21 AM »
That guy looks like he needs to be revisited like a lot of the others have been.
I like that head sculpt.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
Outback is one of my fav Joes of the post sunbow era.  He was greatly cool to say the least. 

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »
Cool story, wish I would have read the comics back in the day.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »

Been a while since I posted here so I am back with another vintage Joe fig. This time its a Steel Brigade fig.

These were really cool mail away figures back in the day.

From Yojoe.com:
"Steel Brigade was first available in the sixth series (1987) as a mail-in offer from Hasbro Direct. The offer was hyped as a "personalized" figure, and came with a personalized bio certificate. It essentially was a figure made up of repainted parts from other figures with the head being the only original piece.

From the years 1987 through 1994, Steel Brigade was offered off and on from Hasbro Direct. As the years passed, different parts of different figures were recolored and used to create new variations of the Steel Brigade figure."

http://www.yojoe.com/action/87/steelbrigade.shtml

Here is a pic of the order form from back in the day.

I musta filled out ten or more of these back then but I never got a chance to place my order. I sure wish i had one of those old forms so i could show you guys what i picked out.  I am happy to finally have one of these guys!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:06:37 AM by lucasclones »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
Cool fig and a neat gimmick with that order form. was it a upc redemption or just a money send in?

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
Cool fig and a neat gimmick with that order form. was it a upc redemption or just a money send in?
Clint I think you had to pay for it and i wanna say it was like $2.99 plus shipping.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »
It wasn't much, but I do vividly remember not having a big interest in it.  Not sure why other than I recognized some of the parts used and thought "cheap"

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
I like some of those old Joe weapons. Cool Chad.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:44 AM »
This one looks very familiar to me, think I may have had one. Back on the front page. This is a cool project Chad.