Author Topic: Disney shuts down Lucasarts!  (Read 9775 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Disney shuts down Lucasarts!
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/04/04/the-mouse-cleans-house-disney-shuts-down-lucasarts/

Well it looks like 150 employees were let go from LA today with them announcing cancellations of 1313 and another game that I am forgetting.

My wife coined my feelings, "Didn't they buy it to actually do something with it?"

As Han would say, I have a bad feeling about this. I guess we knew there would be chanes, but wow. This was the company that gave us the X-Wing Games and Republic Commando!

RIP Lucasarts, rest in peace.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:00:08 AM by Tamer »

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Disney shuts down Lucasarts!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
And so the culling continues.  First, The Clone Wars.  Now LucasArts.  Any guesses on what's next?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »
do they now own ILM?

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:46 AM »
do they now own ILM?

god i hope not !  it smells like all they wanted was the license and everything else is surplus to requirements,wonder how those people at LucasArts and Lucas Animation are feeling about "Uncle George" now? if it was me i would be feeling damn well betrayed at the moment...
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:10 AM »
And so the culling continues.  First, The Clone Wars.  Now LucasArts.  Any guesses on what's next?

I hate to say it but thought of Industrial Light and Magic although I am thinking now they might be independent. Good lord I hope so. I wonder if George know about any of this before he sold?

do they now own ILM?

Not sure, but if they do oh lord!

do they now own ILM?

god i hope not !  it smells like all they wanted was the license and everything else is surplus to requirements,wonder how those people at LucasArts and Lucas Animation are feeling about "Uncle George" now? if it was me i would be feeling damn well betrayed at the moment...

I bet everyone at any Lucasfilm Division is on edge now. I am reminded of the Robocop movies with their rather sarcastic take on corporate America and wow does what Disney is doing so much remind me of that.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:59:49 AM »
i bet Bob Iger laid it on thick .. reckon at this rate Ep7 will be a sodding musical!! can see it now Han Solo with a singing mini Rancor on his shoulder ...YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 03:01:42 AM »
i bet Bob Iger laid it on thick .. reckon at this rate Ep7 will be a sodding musical!! can see it now Han Solo with a singing mini Rancor on his shoulder ...YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just am trying to keep the Avengers movie and how great that was in the back of my head, but do agree Jay the thought of Star Wars going rate at G gives me the shudders.

Offline TakeshiInhaba

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:16 AM »
As i said in the LG.de forum: Disney is going to kill the whole Star Wars Franchise and burns down everything around it. First CW, now LA, whats next? ILM? THX?
"Arent you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
"Shut up!"

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 04:33:02 AM »
apparently there have been layoffs at ILM!! as well.......

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »
All i can say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Lucasarts! 1313!!! NOOOOOO. DISNEY YOU SUCK!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:13:36 AM »
Well, here goes...

My hope is that this is a business restructuring. That people are being released and divisions shut down so Disney can reorganize these Lucas divisions into Disney divisions. Then it will all be under one Corporation Umbrella instead of having Disney, Lucas Arts, Lucas Annimation, etc...

The realist in me say Disney may be screwing it all up and having the same affect on Star Wars that they have on all child actors that come from Disney. Episode 7, could honestly be a sham. It could simply be a way of giving fans something to drool about for 20 years and never actually producing a single thing. It was nearly 20+ years between the 1st and 2nd trilogies. It is possible they want to do the same thing.

Those are my thoughts. I am possibly TOTALLY wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »
Well Mungo, I find a lot of your points I agree with.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »
I'm not positive, but I think ILM is a separate entity now with minimal ties to Lucasfilm.  ILM is so widely used in cinema that there'd be no way to replace it.  It's used in almost any film these days in ways we can't even comprehend.  Then again, what do I know.  Still, it's large and widespread enough, I don't know what other entity out there can fill that void if it becomes true.  I don't even think Disney has the capabilities to produce what ILM does.  Perhaps the layoffs that Jay was talking about are strictly the Lucasfilm extension of the corporation.  I do find it rather curious that they paid almost the same for Star Wars as they did for Marvel, yet they barely touched Marvel licensees at all.  However, they seem to be shuttering the many factions of Lucasfilm as if they're a disease.  And sadly, no matter how much we grumble and groan, there's not one single thing we can do about any of it.  Hell, Hasbro gave us a chance to ask them questions and give our opinions weeky (then tri-weekly, then monthly, then bi-monthly, then not at all) and we couldn't even get through to them.  Sad, but true...

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
Yes ILM is... You think Speilberg is going to let Disney **** up his 3D dino creators for JP4... No...

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
With all this negativity about what Disney is doing with Lucas Arts, I have one thing to say...

Run, J.J., Run!!! Just stick with Star Trek.