Poll

What do you think about TCW being cancelled?

I am excited about the new animation Disney has announced!
2 (7.7%)
I am cautiously optimistic still.
1 (3.8%)
I am kind of in the middle
1 (3.8%)
I wish they would have had one or two more seaons
12 (46.2%)
This was a horrible decision on Disney's part
10 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: The Clone Wars is cancelled  (Read 4187 times)

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
The Clone Wars is cancelled
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:47:44 AM »

Well I think by now we have all heard that The Clone Wars is over as far as regular TV Programming. We recently heard that there might be some new footage regarding Order 66 and the rumor is abounding that that is going to amount to two videos and then TCW is officially over as we know it.

I had a rather interesting discussion last night with a writer for The Clone Wars and he was understandably upset over Disney cancelling his story in the middle and not allowing him to finish. I have even heard the word "tepid" used to describe Star Wars fans' attitudes over this being stopped. I am interested to hear your opinions on this.

Now that being said, there are gonna be folks who disagree and we are not going to bash eachother over differing opinions on this. If I see that expect to have your comments deleted. I also plan on doing ISY's and CAFN's very first editorial on this when we podcast this week. Let the opinionating begin!

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
Re: The Clone Wars is cancelled
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:46:56 AM »
Disney made a terrible decision in prematurely canceling the CW. Failing to give the show a proper ending and resolve the fates of Ahsoka, Rex, Cad Bane, and other major characters is tragic. Disney should have allowed the CW to continue one final season and deliver a satisfying end. After five seasons of incredible story telling  it is hard to believe the Clone Wars has fallen victim to a hack job ending by the Mouse. Let me be clear, I would have been okay if they finished up the Clone Wars. Just let it be a worthy ending for such a great show!!! Between this and the Abrams announcement I fear for the future of our beloved saga.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:03:53 AM »
CloneCrazy those are some valid points. According to the one TCW Writer I was talking with last night they needed about two more seasons to really close things off. Then part of me realizes that some of us wouldn't have been satisfied with even that too. I will be honest, when I first heard about Disney buying Lucasfilm one of the first things that went through my mind was that TCW was probably going to be ending for the sheer fact that Disney has its own animation studio, although I had hoped that perhaps Filoni and his crew would be joining Disney. I can imagine most of those artists are probably crushed they didn't get to finish.

And then there is the other part of me that says well we did get seven years worth of programming on The Clone Wars and wasn't it really time to see something new? I mean lets face it, in the realm of tv programming that is one pretty long running sieres on one time frame if you count the first anime Clone Wars and then the five season TCW story arcs.

As for what this means to our new SW movie I think we can pretty much rule out a good bit of the EU storylines most of us have come to love too. I would love to hear what folks like Timothy Zahn (Thrawn Trilogy) think about what will happen with the new SW Episodes (7 to 9). And then there is the part of me too that realizes that with Disney at the helm we can pretty much be assured of both new animation and new movies every so often and they have done so well with the Marvel Franchise. I am so torn! Trust me folks, I can see both sides of this.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 07:08:51 AM »
well i am for one am horrified at the way the Clone Wars has been treated ,i had a bad feeling when i heard that GL had sold out to Disney and it looks like i was right i believe we have been sold down the river ,i bet Disney gave all sorts of assurances but the fact is that they have not only cancelled a great and popular  show with unseeming haste but then have taken an award winning animation team that would have surely been an asset and junked it i believe they just wanted to get their grubby little mitts on the license and everything else is surplus to requirements  they said that they valued LucasFilm on the Star Wars license alone ,so Indy fans dont hold your breath on anything getting done tho if they way Disney are going to treat this franchise is anything to go by ...
i predict that they will throw the EU out of the window you will see the connection theat LFL has with the fans wither and die (disney have no experience in dealing with a fanbase such as this one) within 3 years LFL will no longer exist i hope i am wrong but the way they deep sixed the Clone Wars almost instantly and almost straight after they broke up the very succesful animation team who are fully knowledgable in the source  material   and what Disney do with this asset? they couldn't wait to disband them ,

i don't have much faith in EpVII...
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline peakob1

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:52:55 AM »
Before I say this I will go on record as being the number one clone wars fan! So that being said of course I want more if simply to tie up loose ends!
Honestly I feel like they could have wrapped it up at three or four seasons as far as giving us a definitive tie in to episode 3 to keep all the "is this canon nerds quiet!" Because it is CANON BY WAY just in case you guys have tolls here or even worse Disney decides to sweep it under the rug. Plus it didn't help when all if us "movie sophisticates" started bashing it because they didn't think moogan tea or night sister magic or even the return of Darth Maul was interesting! Really? Believe me we are partly the cause for the clone wars demise! Well I enjoyed all of it for shizzle!!!! 

What might have been far better is have a story that spans 3 seasons and then continues into the dark times after episode 3!!!
This was written in the stars though.... no way Disney would let a second animation house work under there umbrella! This show as an animation is too dark for Disney! But is beautiful non the less! Probably the best show on TV!!! If we get another animation it will feel like a Disney film minus the song dance!

Spookymufu

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
I actually enjoy this show, it was getting better in the area of animation and the stories were mostly pretty good, too bad, hopefully Disney will pick up the live action show vision George had...

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
Good point on Marvel Tamer. That is why I was so thrilled when Disney bought SW. But Disney didn't scrap long running comic book series and cancel TV shows with Marvel, they expanded it!!! I have a bad feeling about this...

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »
It was interesting to hear what a TCW writer actually described as canon last night. I am not sure I agreed with him, but I could see his feelings were still very raw over the end of TCW so I left that point alone. And I do so agree with you Peakob1 that there was no way they would let another non Disney animation house continue. I think we all knew it. I also agree that Disney will not let it be that violent or dark and who knows we may even get a song or two (I am shuddering as I write that too).

Clone Crazy I still remain hopeful they will do right by SW, lets face it The Avengers was awesome. I also still gotta love they have announced so many new films not even just a continuation of the main episodes.

Offline TakeshiInhaba

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:29 AM »
Iam more than warned by what has become of the Marvel Movies, they've not become horrible yet, but the new Movies have not been as near so good than X-Men 1/2 oder Blade 1.
What frightens me most is that Disney is a Firm for Kids Movies, and not for Adult Movies. No wonder that the Deadpool Movie has been put on hold. I doubt we ever see the Deadpool Movie or another Punisher. :(
Not to mention what they did to Pirates of the Caribbean, that series really got worse with every new episode.

What Disney did to TCW was just horrible wrong, it had so much more potential and was becoming so great the last 3 Seasons that they at least could give them a 6th Season of 15 Episodes to finish some of their Storylines. :/
Same thing with LucasArts, Disney is thinking about closing it, the new Game has although be put on hold - because it didn't go with what Disney was planing for the new films...

"Arent you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
"Shut up!"

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
The combination of the series ending and the cancellation of the animated figure line was a huge disappointment to me.  I watched the show with my nephew, and we both really enjoyed it.  I think we all knew it had to end eventually, but a final season to wrap up the various storylines would have been the right move in my eyes.

Offline PROVOST

• Ensign
  • Colonel In Chief
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Personally I am dismayed at this decision.
You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
I've thought long and hard about this one, and in the end, I have to say that I'm...

Neutral.

I wasn't a huge fan of the TCW series, as a whole.  I think it was wonderful for what it was intended for, which are the kids.  Sharing our passion with an entirely new generation of fans is priceless, and there were some cool elements, to be sure.  But as an adult, I couldn't ever really get into the show because it was way too geared for children for my personal likes, and the dialogue was painful to me.  Again, this is just to me, but I think it was perfect for its intended audience.  I stopped watching the show after the 1st season.  To see it end was really nothing for me since I haven't been following it.  I will agree with many of you though, that they needed to wrap up some of the bigger questions before they did so.  It'd be like ending LOST in the middle of the final season.  That tells me that there was some pretty big in-fighting between the people at Cartoon Network/Filoni and Disney.

My first thought was that Disney was just rounding up their newly acquired license and bringing it back in-house.  But then I looked at the remaining line-up on Cartoon Network, and there are quite a few Marvel shows on there still.  Disney also owns Marvel, and never did the same with that license, so that again tells me that there was some big time in-fighting that we just aren't hearing about.

That brings me to the concern for the future of the Star Wars film franchise.  When I had first heard about the sale to Disney, I was absolutely against it because I was afraid that it would cheapen and degrade tha which we love so much.  But I've had time to think about it, and with the moves that they've made, I can't be against it at all.  They re-signed all of the big names, which is huge.  Continuity was my greatest concern.  Then they brought on J.J. Abrahms, and I'm very excited.  What he did for the Star Trek franchise was amazing in my opinion.  I was never a big fan of Star Trek, but the newest movie done by JJ is still one of my favorite movies in the last decade.  I still watch it on a regular basis.  So what can he bring to the table for Star Wars?  I'm super excited to find out!  And let's look at what Disney has done with the Marvel movies since they've taken over.  Remember, Spider-Man is owned by Sony currently and X-Men is owned by 21st Century Fox currently.  I honestly don't know who own's the Blade franchise.  But all 3 have one big thing in common, in my opinon; they started off great and ended on a poor note.  Spider-Man 1, X-Men 1, and Blade 1 were pretty damn good, and they got exponentially worse from there on.  They couldn't keep up the steam in those engines.  Now they've rebooted Spider-Man and X-Men, and are talking about doing the same for The Fantastic Four and Blade.  I did like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men 1st class, so we'll see if they can keep that train chugging along. 

But what Disney has done is incredible!  They've taken 3 of the greatest Heroes from the Marvel Universe and given them epic films in their own right, and culminated them all into possibly one of my favorite movies of all time, The Avengers.  I'm not even really that much of an Avengers fan, as far as comics go, but Holy Jebus, what a spectacle!  And that was PHASE 1!!!  Now they're starting on Phase 2, and I'm so eager for them to hit I'm already counting down to them all.  So what does that tell me about the future of the Star Wars franchise?  To me, with the money Disney has to put on the table, and the drive they have for success, and J.J. Abrahms at the helm; the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades  8)

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
LOL. Doesn't sound like much in the middle to me Pat, but daggone fine points.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
Well when I say I'm in the middle about the cancellation, I guess I'm saying that it doesn't matter much to me, but for those who are ardent fans and want closure, I'm on your side!

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
Some info on upcoming clone wars arcs.........looks like more info on sifo dyas,Ahsoka tano could get more air time.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-clone-wars-bonus-videos-coming-soon-135000219.html
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/movies/2013/04/30/2123105/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:23:36 AM by benjani_1976 »