Author Topic: Bubba Fett's Dios  (Read 9164 times)

Offline PrimitiveTodd

• Ensign
Re: Bubba Fett's First Dio Attempt
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
Very nice Dio!  I particularly like the speeder painting...

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
Re: Bubba Fett's Dios
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
This is Jess's and my newest dio. As I've said, I like the vintage stuff, so I am enjoying taking a vintage playset piece and customizing around it. For this one, I used the Land of the Jawas as my inspiration to make a custom "Purchase of the Droids". The Land of the Jawas sancrawler is actually a custom repro we made from foamboard, adhesive label paper. We cut out the windows,then we added a cardboard desert backdrop, steps, door, and lights. I purchased all of the droids from eBay, even the LIN droid from Clint. Without needing this LIN I would have never met Clint and been invited to join this site. Thanks Clint! The only droid that is not original is the security droid. We made this one because we wanted to continue the theme of lights from the sandcrawler and the house. Some photos are taken in room full light, room dimmed light, and no light on in the room. Tips and hints are always welcome on our projects. We are always seeking ways to improve!

House made from foambaord, papertowel rolls, plaster, transparancy paper, styrofoam
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:24:08 PM by Bubba Fett »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
Buddy, this piece is exquisite in its execution and design. I love that you integrated the repro backdrop that reminds some of us older folks of an easier time and a more exciting time for SW. The integration of the lights is well done and I especially like them in the security droid. I love the hut and have to ask, what did you use the transparancy paper for. The junk/fodder outside the hut adds a personal and realistic touch. You had asked me for suggestions. All I can come up with is consider installing some heavy gauge wire scraps for foot pegs if you have an idea where to put all of the characters, and, possibly upgrade that R5 unit to a more modern version. I really had to dig to come up with that much as I like this one so much. You are not going to tell me that this is your second dio attempt, are you?

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
Clint, thanks for the improvement ideas. I went through some boxes in the basement and found a packaged Saga R5. I will make that change. I will also look at the footpegs. The transparancy paper was used on the door front of the hut. The lightbulbs could be seen through the door so I hot glued a piece of transparancy paper across the entrance that I had taken an orange marker to. This allows the light to come through without seeing the lightbulbs. I also did this with the windows of the sandcrawler. Thanks again!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
I agree I like how you blended all of this. Just awesome execution. Back to the front page.

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
Gorgeous display/dio.  Excellent combination of elements and very, very nice work on your custom homestead!

The lighting adds SO MUCH texture and realism, too. 

Wonderful work!!!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »
Holy  cow this is amazing!!!! Clonehead  said it the best , it does indeed bring back alot of good childhood memories !!  Well done

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »
Another great dio! I love the entrance to the Lars' Homestead. The only suggestion I would make is to put some dry sand around the base of the domed structure.
Again, great work!

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
Thanks for all of the kind words and improvement ideas. They really help!

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »
I don't think you and Jessica need much help ! You are producing great work, with great effects already! You will just keep on getting better and better! It's also great you work on these together! :)

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »
Well, I am sure you are all aware by now that I prefer taking vintage playset parts and improving them...or at least I think improving them...lol. For this diorama playset, I started with an incomplete Creature Cantina base. I wanted to achieve a nice looking diorama but still with a playset vibe. The roof, walls, and dome cap easily slide apart.

Original Vintage Creature Cantina Base

Next I printed a vintage cardboard back scan. Then went to work with paints: primer, faux textured stone floor, airbrush tables with multiple colors/shadowing.

Top view of completed playset. Constructed primarily with foamboard and sculpted plaster for texture to exterior and interior.

Shot of exterior door access panel. Access panels and drinking glasses are made from parts of old graphics card.

Shot of interior door access panel. This shot also shows that the door easily slide open to modify scene.

Front view of finished diorama playset.

Rear view of playset. This is a full 360 deg. view playset. This was a little tricky to achieve since I wanted to use cardboard backdrop from from view to show depth. So I had to use a rear view photo also. To accomplish this I simply used a razor knife to cut a slit on this inside of the arch and placed the front and rear view cardboard photos.

Scene with room lights and playset lights off. I just threw some of my fodder figures in here for effect.

Scene with room lights and Cantina lights on. I used 2 removable LED lights in the ceiling. I tinted them blue for a realistic bar lighting effect.

Closer shot of Cantina interior to view the details. You can see the LED lights and Air Conditioning Unit.

Shot is from a patron perspective. Tried to show you in the Cantina from Blue Snag's point of view.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:29:49 PM by Bubba Fett »

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
Yet another work of art & a vast improvement on the original! Brilliant! :)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »
That may be one of the most brilliant mods to a vintage playset yet. I love this!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 06:13:49 AM »
That may be one of the most brilliant mods to a vintage playset yet. I love this!

Amen, had to get this on the front page. I can't even imagine having something like this to play with as a kid.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »
That is excellent !! You took a great playset and made it a million times better !! awesome job i love this!!!!