Author Topic: Bubba Fett's Dios  (Read 9163 times)

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
Bubba Fett's Dios
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »
This is Jessica's and my first dio. We made it about a month ago. We googled sw dio images and printed a photo of this one. We then had to figure out how in the heck to make a dio...lol. And if this was a pic of your dio, I apologize, but we had to start somewhere. We made some changes to the original photo concept. We added LED light to door, and cardboard backdrops to add depth and the illusion of a larger than 20"x12" dio base. I grew up with Kenner cardboard playsets so I like using cardboard. The cardboard slides out easily to change scenes. The moisture vaporator is made from mini-blinds, washers, foam, wall anchor, and precision paint brush handles. The building structure is made of foam board, bandages, and lightweight spackle. Then white-wash paint. The building is also removable for future customization. The son is enjoying it so far. Improvement ideas and tips are welcome!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:24:57 PM by Bubba Fett »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Bubba Fett's First Dio Attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »
So the bottom one is yours? That is cool as hell. You really have to look to tell em apart and if you hadn't told us, I would have swore that moisture evaporator was a factory hasbro item. Welcome to the diorama board!
Once you confirm which is yours I will put it on the front page.

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
Both photos are of mine. I just changed the figs. The one picture did not show the LED light on the door panel so I changed things up. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »
Great work on this diorama. You guys did a fantastic job on capturing the feel of Tatooine, which is my personal favorite of the SW planets. This would be outstanding for a seasoned veteran, but the fact that this is a FIRST diorama.... Wow!
It doesn't surprise me that your son absolutely enjoys this. It's super cool of ya'll as parents to make something like this for him to play with.
I've seen tons of Tatooine dios, and this is up there with the best of them. I would have also thought the moisture vaporator was from Hasbro.
A+ on all aspects of this!

Barry

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
And your name is up in lights, This diorama is featured on our front page for everyone to marvel at. Nice job again, my friend.

Spookymufu

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
hummmm, looks familiar.

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6341.0

looks like I've been copied, thats cool!

(Mine also has lights in the door control panel ;) )

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:28:42 PM »
Well now if that isn't just great. Glad to see it made the front page.

And Spooky for the life of me I am not sure if yours did so I might be way late in saying awesome job on yours too. Imitation is the biggest form of flattery.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:00:45 AM »
Very cool! You made your own version of Spooky's dio! Very nice work, as Barry said, you have bone a great job capturing the feel of Tatooine. If this is your first dio, you certainly have the skill set to knock several more buildings out of the park. Then you can group them together in different configurations every time "the kids" play. Small modular sets are the way to go for playability and storage. Great work!

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »
Spooky, it is so cool to find the artist behind the photo we found on google images. We hope you are not offended that we chose your dio to make our first attempt. And we hope you approve. I only wish we were able to know you then so we could ask how to make it...lol. Showing the photo to the hobby lobby employee and asking how to do it was embarassing. Spooky, we would be honored by any critiquing you would have. And we apologize but we could not see that yours had a light on the door. We could not see that from the google image that we printed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:40:05 AM by Bubba Fett »

Spookymufu

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »
no, I'm not offended at all, I'm flattered and you did a great job of doing one similar!

When i saw the pic on the FP I was like "hummmmm, is that mine?"

Yours is very cool. If you follow my build thread you'll see the lighted panel.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
well Spook they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery mate ,well done it looks excellent.
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
Well done dio! Congrats! Do you have the photos of the WIP?

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 06:07:54 AM »
No, sir. With it being our first dio, the chaos overwhelmed us. It did not cross our minds to do something like that. But I would bet that Spooky would have WIP pics of his original.

Spookymufu

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
No, sir. With it being our first dio, the chaos overwhelmed us. It did not cross our minds to do something like that. But I would bet that Spooky would have WIP pics of his original.

yeah, i linked it in one of my posts up this page ^^^

I'm curious, do you remember what you used in the search to find it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:08:26 AM by Spookymufu »

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
No, I do not remember. I know we tried about every possible word in the Star Wars dictionary...lol