Author Topic: Figure take-down  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
Figure take-down
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Hello,
is there a patented way of taking the recent SW figures apart so that parts can be exchanged and the figures re-assembled?
So far I've only repainted figures and made simple changes of heads and helmets, but not of arms, legs, torsos, kamas, etc.
Thanks for sharing your tips with me.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Figure take-down
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:44:37 AM »
Boil-n-Pop.  It's only trademarked though, not patented.   ;D

What *I* do is:

- Get all tools ready.  Saucepan of water, salad tongs, towel, figures to be disassembled, glass of tap-water, needle-nose pliers (as backup)
- Remove all accessories (belt, head, gun, vest, etc) from figs that can be removed.
- Heat water in saucepan to a rolling boil then reduce heat to "half" ("medium" on my electric stovetop).
- Pick up first victi- erm, "subject" in tongs.
- Hold him under for about a minute.  (maniacal laughter at this point is optional, but entertaining)
- Put figure on towel and use it as "gloves" so I'm not in bare skin contact with hot plastic.
- Holding torso in my off hand, I take hold of the shoulder or hip in my strong hand and gently pull.
- If you meet with fierce resistance, he's not hot/soft enough yet.  Grab the tongs and re-immerse for another minute, then repeat the pulling.
- You want a towel, because you have boiling water everywhere.  The towel will soak it up.  A warm, wet towel is far better than blistered skin!
- Repeat until all parts are removed.

This has served me well and is very simple and straightforward.  The legs are held in by mushroom-shaped pegs and the arms have ... "arrowheads" is the best way I can think of to describe it.  I have not *yet* separated elbows and knees, but I think that may be happening soon.

Now, reassembly.

- If you had two fig's in disassembly, the parts may cool and stiffen before you get to work with them.  Be ready to re-boil.
- Limbs go in easier if you put them in the glass of tap-water after removal so that they cool and stiffen.
- Re-boil torso, holding it in the tongs.
- Hold torso in towel and insert peg of limb into hole of torso. 
- With a hot, soft torso and a cold, rigid limb-peg, things should pop together fairly easily.  Legs might not always be accomodating.
- If leg is stubborn, use pliers to gently pinch mushroom of peg so it fits into hole.
- Steady pressure, careful attention to what is working where, and frequent movement of limb should pop the peg into place.

This is really easy, I promise.  If you need, I'll try and take pics next time I do one.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
Doc, thanks for the detailed how-to.
I'll try it and present the results in my customs thread.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »
Update - elbows and knees perform just as well as other joints.

Have fun, Commander!  (you know...I may have to create a Commander Kurgan figure and fiction character...)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 11:04:37 PM »
I may have to create a Commander Kurgan figure and fiction character

O boy...