Author Topic: Rogue Jedi's custom figures  (Read 40766 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Rogue Jedi's custom figures
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 06:08:33 AM »
One update for the night: When I saw this figure a few years I knew it would make a great base for Valance the Hunter. Once I had finished putting it together I realized I liked the black and grey better than the blues from the comic. Originally he had an interchangeable head but I ended up using it on a second battle damaged version. I think I would like to go back and redo the battle damaged one at some point because I was experimenting with different things and looking at it now I am not entirely happy with how it turned out. To me it's just to messy I guess. Anyway enjoy!
Valance the Hunter

Battle damaged version

Thank you. I try to give credit where credit is due and I know that I saw a custom on here of Baron Fel that was the inspiration for the Anakin figure but I can't remember who made the figure. Also to some of the more experienced guys on here; I'm working on a few sets of figures based of the Jurassic Park franchise for my son and have run into a problem with one of the figs. The jacket I am using is very pliable and the paint keeps chipping off. I have tried to seal it the traditional way and when that didn't work I tried glue but I encountered the same problem. Any suggestions?
I really like the valance figure. Is there any way to apply a light sanding prior to paint to said vest. Also, I am having pretty good luck by applying the acrylic varnish first, then the paint, and then even more varnish.

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 06:28:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice CH. I'll definitely give it a try. I guess I've never ran into this before because when I do my customs they are for display but now that my son is getting older and I can use this particular skill set for him I'm running into the "play" issue. I'll give your suggestion a try and if it doesn't work then I'll just have to adjust the plans for the Dennis Nedry figure and make him without the yellow rain jacket.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 08:28:26 AM »
I am missing some great updates. Back to the front page. I like both versions of your Valance by the way.

Offline DarthDrew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »
Very cool stuff! The battle damage looks so cool!

Offline dr0d26

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »
Great looking portfolio you got going here. I like your interpretation of Jorus  pre crazy days..

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
What a great custom thread - you certainly have a creative spark in you to say the least.  I really enjoyed going through and viewing your work.

0/

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
That Mon Cal rebel officer is awesome, impressed me a lot!

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 08:23:15 PM »
Thank you. I try to give credit where credit is due and I know that I saw a custom on here of Baron Fel that was the inspiration for the Anakin figure but I can't remember who made the figure. Also to some of the more experienced guys on here; I'm working on a few sets of figures based of the Jurassic Park franchise for my son and have run into a problem with one of the figs. The jacket I am using is very pliable and the paint keeps chipping off. I have tried to seal it the traditional way and when that didn't work I tried glue but I encountered the same problem. Any suggestions?

I think BlackSh33p was the one whodid that pilot; that was a cool-looking custom.  Your Anakin (pilot gear) look great too; the blue flight suit was a good choice.

Regarding your second question, maybe use a dye?  I think some people have tried Rit (for dying clothes), but I don't know exactly whether that is the best to use as I haven't tried it before.  Just a thought...

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 05:54:05 AM »
That looks awesome! Great customs man!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Rogue Jedi

• Ensign
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »
Well first off thanks for the kind words. It's truly appreciated. It's great to share work that you are proud of and have others enjoy it. Secondly thanks to those who gave me some advice on my sealing issue. Haven't tried it yet (get a huge shipment of "parts" in for my side project for my son so I have been focusing on that). Like I said I am focusing on doing the customs for my son right now but I do have a couple of my own to share. Up first is a realistic Clone Wars Plo Koon.
Plo Koon

The next three are more of concept figures. Here's the background. First off I am eternally grateful to Mr. Lucas for making the Star Wars movies and I appreciate that they are his stories and were told in the way that he wanted to tell them. That being said I, like most, was let down by the prequels (they have grown on me I'll admit). I guess the let down stems from the fact that for many years that era was open to our own interpretation and over the years we, the fans, made our own prequels based off of given information and clues and the let down came from the movies not being the story we imagined. Now these concepts are of how I envisioned that the Jedi would be a generals in the Clone Wars. I know some people took issue with the Jedi dressing like monks and felt they should have worn something different. I disagree and feel the robes are the only attire that makes sense but will conceed that when the War started the robes make little sense. I feel like by Episode III we should see battle worn Jedi in armor that is individual to them. This would serve to visually communicate that not only has the war taken it's toll on these once noble beings but the armor would also serve to show how far they had fallen from their peaceful ways and the fact that the armor isn't uniform but differs to a great extent between Jedi would also show just how fractured this order had become. Phew...That was a mouthful. So that being said these 3 customs are inspired by that idea.
Seasee Tiin

Agen Kolar

Anakin Skywalker (I wanted a look that was closer to Vader while still being "heroic" and I also wanted to allude to the line "...great pilot...")

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52:51 AM »
I love the concept Jedi, especially Saesee Tiin and Anakin.  Tiin looks great in the AT-TE tank gunner armor; nice choice there!  The metallic helmet is so much better than the plain white clone armor we see in TCW.

I love your alternate take on Anakin!  The parts work really well and the Starkiller legs, for some reason, just seem to work very well with this fig.  The addition of the pilot harness sells the look too.  

A very nice job!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:29:19 AM by JediMerc »

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 06:04:20 AM »
I liked the agen kolar improvements but that anakin just rocks! After passing up anakin figures for years, I would snatch that one up, were it on the shelves.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
I liked that Anakin too, but still for some reason went with Plo for the front page news article. Keep em coming!

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »
Cool Stuff.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
Wonderful custom Jedi. I really like the battle armored look.

I agree with your thoughts when it comes to the Clone Wars. "I [ also ] feel [ that ] by Episode III we should [ have seen ] battle worn Jedi in armor that is individual to them. This would serve to visually communicate that not only has the war taken it's toll on these once noble beings but the armor would also serve to show how far they had fallen from their peaceful ways. The fact that the armor isn't uniform but differs to a great extent between [ individual ] Jedi would also show just how fractured this order had become."

FYI...the [ ] symbols represent the words I changed to simply give my perspective in my TOTAL agreement with Rogue Jedi's thoughts about the prequel movies. In NO WAY was attempting to correct anything. Just wanted to clarify for everyone reading!

Again...great work!