Author Topic: 3d printers  (Read 1934 times)

Offline clonetrooper360

• Commander
3d printers
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:38:08 AM »
hey guys , i was thinking about investing in a 3d printer, I thought they would be perfect to make customized part, for figures , ships bases, even as replacement parts for vehicles like broken at-te legs. what do you guys think, would it be profitable in the customs world?
May the Force be with you !

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: 3d printers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:24 AM »
i dont know anything about them but may understand the concept. How about some more detalis?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
I have a friend who is researching them and he's not sure the resolution is fine enough for our needs yet.  But he's still looking.  I'm all for it, personally, especially if I can shanghi someone who can provide me with good CAD designs...

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
I too am very interested in this. From what I understand from another artist that has tried one, the surface is pretty rough. So at this time you can't produce a really smooth surface. I guess it is the nature of the product. It feds like weed eater string, gets hot enough to start to melt, makes the shape then dries. I will be waiting for future developments.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
The 3D printers have peeked my interest as well. From what I've read the end product does come out somewhat rough which would lead me to believe that some hand finishing work would be necessary.  I think small objects can be printed though, because they are printing guns and clips for them; also prosthetic limbs that have movement (which requires small parts).

I also found this site: http://www.shapeways.com/

The items here are sometimes small but again I think sanding is necessary to give it the finished look.

I think this is the future of toy making and eventually you'll be able to print your own designs via Hasbro and Mattel, etc. and have them shipped directly to you.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
Here's something from the above site that applies to us: http://www.shapeways.com/model/443593/saboteur-set-1.html?li=productBox-search

Offline clonetrooper360

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:(  unbelievable it seems that every single idea i have someone else had it and is already making money on it freaking believable! i was thinking about making my own website and selling 3d designs and art but the way i see it this shapeways website has it covered ! back to the drawing board! thnx for the links darth, i didn't know that the product are rough since the pictures and videos i see it looks pretty smooth, could it be different quality 3d printers? i think that the company that makes your face into action figures uses 3d printing. My plan would be to design and take custom designs from customers and print it out. How cool would it be to own a unique tie-defender , or a death star turret, sure alot of you customs artist would still want to build your own , but for those  like me with no skills and no available equipment would definitely like this .
May the Force be with you !

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:09:14 PM »
I can also think of some awesome one to one props that could be made with something like this.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »
I had heard the same story from my brother that some sanding may be required to get a smooth surface. He said that he had seen one of the older larger models when he worked for Pixar. he also suggested that a good pc might be in order for the 3-d rendering.