Author Topic: Imperial Shipyards Custom Build-Off contest  (Read 30255 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Imperial Shipyards Custom Build-Off contest
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2009, 10:16:47 AM »
Or even in a pod-racing arena! That would be killer, shawn!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
man a Racing arena dio would be AESOME!  it could be a pod racer/ swoop/ speeder race track! it could be a one size fit's all race track. 

Hey, do you guys ever go to any conventions and stuff and get the site advertised?!  that'd be an awesome way to advertise the shipyards, someone put together a large racetrack dio that could be set up on a table and then everyone make a custom speeder/pod racer/ swoop to go on the dio and have it displayed with member's names who contributed to the dio,

I'd be willing to set up the dio if I could... people not able to attend could always mail their pieces in to someone who goes and sets it all up at the conventions... hell it could be a traveling piece too, make the dio where it can break down into small parts and make it easy to transport! 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »
That is an awsome idea, Devon. Perhaps one of these days we could do something like that.
If of was an arena, there would have to be some stands for a bunch of figures to watch the race.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »
yeah, neat idea, I'd have no problem mailing my racer to ya.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Well, I'm being pressured to attend AdventureCon next year with a buddy from the 405th (HALO costuming) and I know the Mando Mercs turn out big there, as well.  AND it is up in the same neck o' da woods as several other members...  So I'm kinda already figuring on being there if work situation permits.  So, I think that would be GREAT to have a race dio set up as advertising!!

As for the contest, heck, I participate whenever a competition theme catches my fancy, prize or no.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2009, 05:18:20 AM »
adventurecon in knoxville?

yeah, I'd be down for that.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
man if it's in knoxville I'd be willing to go too. 

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
Man I would love to make a podracer... those things are such an awesome vehicle design, definitely my favorite scene in episode I!  Wouldn't know where to start on the engines though, but I'm sure I'll definitely be looking around just for fun now  :D

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
I just watched that, xv. Perhaps a large scale jet fighter model kit could donate some parts for this project.
I may have to start hunting for one.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2009, 07:43:49 PM »
do I sense another board wide challenge.... hmm....

Offline Cubanpete24

• Ensign
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
if I modify my custom speederbike and/or rider, can I still enter this?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
if I modify my custom speederbike and/or rider, can I still enter this?

I don't see why not!

Offline Cubanpete24

• Ensign
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »
alright, thank you. also, I like the way my rider is, and I already modified him in my thread, without knowing of this contest, is it alright if I use the updated version as the "modified" rider, I know in the rules it says you can use any customs from before, and if I can't use him, it's fine, I'll just repaint another figure.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
well guys there's been a few posts of people's entries so I figure I'll go on and post mine.  I want this to be inspiration for those of you not yet finished!  I wanna see some speeders guys!

Spudafett's Planetary Vehicle and Rider contest entry:

For this contest I wanted to make a bike from scratch or close to scratch.  I also wanted my figure to be a Gi-joe based figure customized to fit into the star wars universe.  In the course of this project I started with my rider first. 

For my rider I used a gi-joe 25th aniversary para viper for the base figure.

I started with a lower leg and foot swap as the original's lower legs had been sculpted to clip on flippers...

I added several details, including a clone trooper's shoulder pauldron which was trimmed down. I added little greeblie bits with some red wireing and a removable cape.  The cape has a new feature I tried out and will be using from now on.  It's an old boba fett cape and has a copper wire strung through it so that it can be posed in a "flapping" position.
   I wanted this figure to realy be equipped for swoop bike racing.  I realy liked the look of the shoulder and knee pads of the para viper and thought the pauldron added to that.  BUT what about high atmospheric flights?  I took a removable clone helmet and trimmed it down so that only the lower half remained and fitted a range finder to the side.  A repaint later and I have a respirator that looks realy good on my rider.  I also figured he'd need a back up oxygen supply so I trimmed down a Assassin Droid's backpack and made a canister which fits into the figures back peg hole.
  As this will be the leader of my biker gang I wanted to decide on a color scheme that the whole gang would use.  Red and Black was decided upon.  Several details were brought out with red and silver detailing.

ok enough explaining here are some pics of just the rider:
Some of these pics were taken early on and the flash brought out a few spots of missed paint, which were fixed about half way through my photo session.  The final figure doesn't have any purple showing through and is completely painted.   :( I guess I should have retaken the pictures...

ok, you've already got a few glimpses of his custom swoop.  let me explain a little bit about it first and then you can see some pics. 

Go back to the top and look again at the wip photo of the figure.  See that engine laying in front of him?  I took that from a 1:18 scale die-caste model car.  I believe it was a maisito (sp?) model.  Anyway, I used it as a starting base and started from there fitting parts together.  I wanted his swoop to slightly resemble an "S-swoop" but look like it'd been stripped down to almost nothing but a motor, a seat, and steering vanes.  In essence this is a super light, super fast, racing swoop. 

I also wanted to have a couple weopons encorporated into the speeder and have a set of saddle bags or pouches on it.  The weopons include one blaster cannon on the speeder, a swoord (vibroblade?) for the rider to use, as well as a holster for a blaster pistol.

You guys remember the wip teaser pics I put up eirlier?

That astromech's head... well it didn't get to be an astromech any more.  Try to find it in the finished speeder:

"pickin up chicks"

I hope you guys enjoyed that.  I know I realy enjoyed building and creating both the figure and the swoop especially.  It's probably the first from scratch vehicle that I've made that actually turned out looking realy good (in my critical eye).  Now I know I used existing components and didn't make it completely from scratch like the mando chick's bike I did before with just sheet styrene... I hope noone was disapointed I didn't do it that way ;) 

Offline Cubanpete24

• Ensign
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
alright, I'll give a whack at this contest. after all who doens't want money?

everything I used to make the speeder  bike, Vanilla coke included

a quick glance with  Number 7 with his speeder bike.

showing the blood on the front blades of the speederbike

showing the holster and gun on the side of the speederbike
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:02:15 PM by Cubanpete24 »