Author Topic: GI-Joe Retaliation wave 2 Firefly Review  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
GI-Joe Retaliation wave 2 Firefly Review
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:18:03 AM »
Got this one in the mail today and as far as the prior to official release hype goes, this one is the most popular, probably because it looks a lot different than the typical firefly figure that we have been used to seeing as far as not grey in color and covered with weapons or explosives and gear.

First off, lets talk about the sculpt. The head that does a decent job of looking like actor Ray Stevenson is exquisite featuring some convincing scar detail  and a great look into your soul type of stare. Upper body sculpt is cool and I like the collar detail. The paint apps are pretty interesting with a kind of tribal stripe design on the back of his molded on vest, a slightly different black and yellow cobra symbol on one upper arm and a red one on his chest. His lower arms are cast in clear green plastic that is supposed to take advantage of the light up handle feature of his blast board by traveling through the clear parts of his hands and travel up into his arms so that they light up. Neat idea if it worked but it doesnt. I'm not sure how that will translate into the movie or if it is just a failed gimmick. Lower body has some nice holster,strap, kneepad, and boot details. Watch out for those holsters as they dont want to hold onto his two sidearms, nor do his hands really so, keep track of those or risk losing them.

About the articulation:
It is the same as the Wave 2 Flint with the diminished articulation in the knees and no articulation in the ankles. Too Bad about that.

Accessories: He comes with an alternate skimask head, possibly the same one that we have seen for years with some greenish camo detail applied
He includes his two side arms
His Blast board includes a launchable explosive device which is also molded in a clear plastic but doesnt try to take advantage of the light up effect of the blast board

About the blast board
This is obviously something that firefly uses in the movie to launch explosives at gi-joe, during a chase scene, I would guess. Its a cool little vehicle and the light up feature that I keep mentioning is controlled by an on-off push button switch behind the seat. What lights up are the green clear plastic control handles and a couple of areas under the vehicle. I should have took a shot in the dark to see if it gave a disco sled neon light up under the car frame effect. Gimmicky? Yes. Still pretty cool? Yes. certainly a worthy pack in compared to those wonky zip lines.

all in all, I like him. Other than the articulation losses, he is a winner and worthy of display in my joe collection.

I hear that the firefly that comes in one of the newest three packs is seriously cool and I am anxious to get my hands on one to see.

Offline lostcauze501st

• Lieutenant
Re: GI-Joe Retaliation wave 2 Firefly Review
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:07:52 AM »
Great review, I'm definitely picking up a couple of these when they hit retail.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:09:10 AM »
Nice. Must feel good getting all those new goodies in. Off to the front page. I will get a chance to make a new review button soon I hope.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »
thanks guys, he is pretty cool. Tyler, you should bust out those new three packs and take some pics for us. I am anxious to see what that firefly looks like.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:25:06 AM »
I hate that they did that to the arms. I will be buying this fig mostly for the heads I am sad to say. The ski mask sculpt is new by the way Clint. Its the all new one also featured on the much better firefly in the cobra invasion 3pack. That is the Firefly everyone is after. The unmasked head sculpt here is worth the purchase imo.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
Button made for this for the IA.