Author Topic: Commander Kurgan's Customs  (Read 70740 times)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
Commander Kurgan's Customs
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:35:20 AM »
Hello,
the first three pictures are customs which my (8-year-old) son did while mom was cooking lunch.
He started by putting the brown robe of Master Sev on a CW Clonetrooper, then raided by sewing box and came up with this:

He then required my help to sew a holster for the DC-15 Blaster Carbine to the poncho of this guy here:

That's the whole gang:

This last pic shows the test-fitting of a Marion Ravenwood head onto the body of a CW Cody. This will be the base for a character named Jenna Gant. You'll see more of her and the lads of the 175th Special Operations Group in a short while.

Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline jenki87

• Ensign
    • My Custom photos
Re: Commander Kurgan's Customs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »
nice.. does her hair interferes with her head movement?

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:13:04 AM »
Yes, she has long hair wich reaches well down to her shoulders and over the back of her armor.
No head movement for her with this headsculpt. She'll have her helmet taken off in this upcoming scene so it won't matter.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Very nice, Commander k.
We are starting to accumulate some father and son customizing teams around here, it seems. I love that cloak with the sewed on holster! I am anxious to see how that Ravenwood Cody fig turns out.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:30:27 AM »
SPLINTARN!!!!!!  ;D  I have several items in that pattern...

VERY nice work there!!  Very "tigerstripe meets Star Wars" look to the pattern.  *IF* you happen to have a Kashyyyk Trooper with the removeable belt/pouches rig, I'd love to see how it fits over one of the ponchos, kinda like Luke and Leia's Endor ponchos and belts.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
That's a cool idea!
The splinter material comes from an old Swiss Army shelter half so it is pretty thick fabric.
I'd have to see how a belt could be made to hold it snug on the waist.
But yes, it surely would enhance the look of the Kashyyyk trooper.
My son was inspired by the Hawkbat Battalion figure as you will have guessed.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »
very cool.  My kids had me do somthing similar with an old potf boba fett.  I'd lost the cape years ago and they wern't satisfied that it didn't have one so I cut off some fabric from a pair of old camo shorts and glued a cape in place for them.  I love the sewn on holster for that blaster! that is awesome.  even better that it came from an 8 year olds head.  Kid's don't think like us and I find myself asking mine all the time "what should I do to this figure, what gun should it have, etc..."  they come up with some great stuff. 

on the female clone, are you going to leave the armor the way it is or sculpt onto it to make it more feminine? if you are going to sculpt I definately recomend using apoxi sculpt two part self hardining sculpting clay....  it's what I've used in the past.  However, if your going to set that figure up next to regular clones the animated figure does look very feminine already!

nice stuff, keep up the good work.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:07:59 AM »
See, I looked at the female head on the animated Clone body and immediately thought it should do well as female armor alongside Legacy Clones.  Guess I need to go grab up a few ani-Clones now... 
 ;D

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
I thought about building up her chest armor, but decided not to do it on this figure. My guess is that it will look feminine enough when standing alongside non-animated figures.
Maybe I'll do some sculpting on another female figure in the future.
You will get some entries from her personal diary, though, to explain who she is, what she does and so forth.
Hang on.

PS: thanks for the positive comments. I feared that simple stuff like this would look stupidly easy compared to the superb customs you guys do.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:19:56 PM by Commander_Kurgan »

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
PS: thanks for the positive comments. I feared that simple stuff like this would look stupidly easy compared to the superb customs you guys do.

HA!!  My figs are just head or accessory swaps!  Well, for now, at least.  ;D

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
hey man, we all started doing simple customs like this.  Hell even I've done a few simple head swaps and accessory changes lately to supliment the more detailed stuff.   The simple things are sometimes the most rewarding.   Take yours to the next step by getting a set of acrylic paints and doing a few repaints as well. 

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
Paintjobs are underway.
I got myself a set of Citadel paints and I'm basically just waiting for some bits and pieces to come in.
It's been quite a while since I did 1/35 scale military figure modelling, but I'm excited to see if I can still do it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »
Cool deal. I like that female head on the Cody armor.  I look forward to seeing what you update us on later!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »
Let's see what I could extract from that holocron:

Personal diary of Jenna Gant, Field Agent, Republic Social Administration

The Republic is really starting to scrape the barrel when it comes to resources.
In the past it was me accompanying a Jedi Knight on the semi-diplomatic mission of  “winning hearts and minds” of potential allies.
Now it is me running the mission with a unit of Clones in my wake.
Or am I in their wake?

Most citizens probably don’t see a difference between a Clone and a droid. I guess that is not just because of their armor, but also that –at first glance only, of course – they all look the same.
But they are all different even if they come from the same pool of genes.
Officially they have serial numbers, but they also have names. Either chosen by themselves or given to them by their comrades or their training sergeants back on this planet…shebs, I forgot its name again.
Shebs…I even start talking like they do.

Yesterday Commander Grim detached Sergeant Bass to bodyguard me. He says that I could use a bit of tutoring if I want to stick around with the 175th Special Operations Group for a while.
I guess he’s right.
Only a few days ago, a trooper stepped in front of me in an ambush situation and caught the blast from a shattergun which was coming for me. He was medevacked as soon as possible, but I am not sure if the medi droids were able to help him. I didn’t know him, yet he threw himself into harm’s way.

Fortunately, the 175th has relatively few casualties. They are called “The Shooters” as they are believed to be the unit with the highest rate of confirmed enemy kills. An elite outfit with a great reputation.
Sergeant Bass explained that for every enemy killed, they estimate another twelve wounded or regarding clankers, with heavy oli leaks and in dire need of maintenance.

It seems like the Seps have made the locals a better offer than the Republic so the unit has issued me with a set of armor and a helmet.
Bucket, they call it.
Commander Grim said now that diplomacy has failed, some armor might be a good idea until we will be picked up again by Dustoff...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 09:26:50 AM »
Love the backstory, can't wait to see a finished product.  I'm working on a female clone figure myself.  Do you have a dremel you can work with?  if so I would suggest trying to dremel the waist down and making it even more petite, at least that's what I'm going to try... we'll see how it turns out! lol