Author Topic: Vader's Quest Chapter 9 "A Time to Lament"  (Read 4015 times)

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
Vader's Quest Chapter 9 "A Time to Lament"
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »

All comments and critiques are welcome!!

Jason

Offline Kualan

• Background Jedi Fanboy
  • Colonel
Re: Vader's Quest Chapter 9 "A Time to Lament"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »
Wow, love this. So many excellent little points that contribute to a magnificent issue. I don't know where to begin listing them, but I'll give it a try! I love;

- That the Force Spirits are distinguished by the colours highlighting their speech bubbles. We know exactly who is speaking without having to ruin the suspense.
- The use of the 'flash forward' 24 hours at the very beginning.
- Jar Jar! This is one of the few times where I (and I think most people :P) have actually enjoyed his presence in a story. He was sincerely amusing!
- All the little callbacks to the Prequel Trilogy and how they link up to the OT. A ceremony in honour of Padme, the callback to Naboo uniforms, etc.
- Characterisation. Han and Leia's exchange at the beginning, and more potently Bail Organa - we don't even see him, yet that small bit of information regarding why he never took Leia to Naboo before makes us instantly realise what's going through the guy's mind.

Top-notch chapter jlw515, I look forward to more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:48:25 AM »
Sweet. Time to take the update to the front page. I will read this during my lunch hour today and try to leave some appropriate comments.

Thanks as always for sharing this with us.

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
Outstanding work, this could be my favorite chapter of your's thus far!!! Including Jar Jar was an inspired decision, he really added great fun to the episode! The force ghosts were another wise inclusion, I could just imagine the three of them fearing the consequences of Jar Jar's careless mouth!!! A truly enjoyable chapter, keep up the great work!!!

CC

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »
Great story. Just an excellent filler episode that is totally in line with canon. It was pretty neat to see Jar Jar almost get himself in trouble. It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
WOW! The Jedi Spirits have been accepted better than I thought. I almost regret deleting a scene now.

I'll wait for more responses before I say more.

As always with each chapter there are "easter eggs" all over! I'm waiting to see if any of my British friends pick up on a homage.

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
Wow, love this. So many excellent little points that contribute to a magnificent issue. I don't know where to begin listing them, but I'll give it a try! I love;

- That the Force Spirits are distinguished by the colours highlighting their speech bubbles. We know exactly who is speaking without having to ruin the suspense.
- The use of the 'flash forward' 24 hours at the very beginning.
- Jar Jar! This is one of the few times where I (and I think most people :P) have actually enjoyed his presence in a story. He was sincerely amusing!
- All the little callbacks to the Prequel Trilogy and how they link up to the OT. A ceremony in honour of Padme, the callback to Naboo uniforms, etc.
- Characterisation. Han and Leia's exchange at the beginning, and more potently Bail Organa - we don't even see him, yet that small bit of information regarding why he never took Leia to Naboo before makes us instantly realise what's going through the guy's mind.

Top-notch chapter jlw515, I look forward to more.

What an excellent comment! Thank you so much! I'm not a big fan of the PT, but I tried to fill in what I consider to be gaps in the story. Thanks again.

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
Outstanding work, this could be my favorite chapter of your's thus far!!! Including Jar Jar was an inspired decision, he really added great fun to the episode! The force ghosts were another wise inclusion, I could just imagine the three of them fearing the consequences of Jar Jar's careless mouth!!! A truly enjoyable chapter, keep up the great work!!!

CC

Thanks CC! Yeah I imagine with the weight of the galaxy riding on Luke and Leia all the Jedi Spirits would be keeping an eye on everything. As mentioned above I had another scene with the Jedi Spirits that I deleted. I'll tell more about it later. May even work some of the pictures into a later chapter.

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
Great story. Just an excellent filler episode that is totally in line with canon. It was pretty neat to see Jar Jar almost get himself in trouble. It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Thanks! For the most part my photonovel is a "filler" between ANH and TESB. There are several plot holes that are open between the events of Ep. 4, 5, & 6. I'm thinking of extending the photonovel beyond Ep. 5, but we'll just have to see how it all works out.

I'm hoping to have the next three chapters out one right after the other, but no promises. There is a playset I've found at a Big Lots that I can use over the next three chapters. I may be putting my head out on the chopping block (so to speak) with the next two chapters though.

Thanks for the front page shout out!

Jason

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
great job i really enjoyed it
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:04 AM »
WOW! so many new Photonovels in such a short space of tine!

I will catch up on this later and comment...

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 05:58:33 AM »
WOW! so many new Photonovels in such a short space of tine!

I will catch up on this later and comment...

Jules,

Especially can't wait to read YOUR comments!! There's some easter eggs throughout this chapter! I may make a comment later on where I repost each pic with a comment under each one.

Jason

Offline Starhammer

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »
I loved this. It was the highlight of my day when I followed a link to it from Facebook. Everyone's praise seems spot on, but one thing that really hooked me was the use of the Zartan figure, especially since the abilities he used in the story fit quite well with either shapeshifters or force powers in existing canon. As a youngling, I remember always mixing and matching my Star Wars and GI Joe toys... I liked the spaceships from Star Wars, but back then the Joe figures had the superior articulation, so they got to fly the ships a lot of the time (but Luke and Han got to drive the VAMP while towing Boba Fett on the Whirlwind, so that was a fair trade).

I'm really looking forward to getting caught up on your earlier episodes, this was why I registered (Though I assume I'll find plenty of other reasons to stick around also).

EDIT:
OK, just got finished getting caught up on the whole series so far. This is an awesome storyline. I can't wait to see more!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:22:36 AM by Starhammer »

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
I loved this. It was the highlight of my day when I followed a link to it from Facebook. Everyone's praise seems spot on, but one thing that really hooked me was the use of the Zartan figure, especially since the abilities he used in the story fit quite well with either shapeshifters or force powers in existing canon. As a youngling, I remember always mixing and matching my Star Wars and GI Joe toys... I liked the spaceships from Star Wars, but back then the Joe figures had the superior articulation, so they got to fly the ships a lot of the time (but Luke and Han got to drive the VAMP while towing Boba Fett on the Whirlwind, so that was a fair trade).

I'm really looking forward to getting caught up on your earlier episodes, this was why I registered (Though I assume I'll find plenty of other reasons to stick around also).

EDIT:
OK, just got finished getting caught up on the whole series so far. This is an awesome storyline. I can't wait to see more!

Sweet!! Thanks for the kind words. I really love that Zartan figure! I had only seen one on the peg when they first came out and I passed on it. Months and months later (maybe a year) I walked into a Big Lots thinking, "I wonder if they could have that Zartan figure?" Sure enough, I turned down an isle and there he was! I too mixed my Joes with Star Wars! I've got some other Joe figures I'm going to work into the series soon. thanks again!

Jason

Offline jlw515

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
Starhammer,

By the way, thanks for going back and checking out the series from the beginning! That really means a lot! I remember trying to keep up with Jules' X-Wing photonovel, and I had missed so many chapters I just went back and started from scratch.

I will tell you (if you haven't already noticed) there are "easter eggs" and campy humor all throught my photonovel. Star Wars has never been known for it's dramatic screenwriting. So even though there are some serious tones to some chapters I still try to throw in a "shout out" to either another movie or something cultural.

For example there references to two different movies in this chapter (1) The Postman [Kevin Costner & Tom Petty] and (2) Transformers the Movie [Perceptor]. There's also a major easter egg that maybe only the Brits will catch. I'm waiting to see before I say more.

Jason