Author Topic: JetpackBlues Customs Intro  (Read 59650 times)

Offline JetpackBlues

• Building Better Worlds
  • Lieutenant
  • We Keep Odd Hours
    • JetpackBlues Blog
Re: JetpackBlues Customs Intro
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
Ha, no idea what her Saber is gonna be made out of. None of the 6 inch girls I've been cobbling together have sabers yet. I figured I'd work that detail out once I finished the set if figures. Still have one more to go. It's either going to be Ventress or Mara Jade haven't decided yet

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #241 on: June 28, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
Either one of those gals would be great. Cool deal.

Offline JetpackBlues

• Building Better Worlds
  • Lieutenant
  • We Keep Odd Hours
    • JetpackBlues Blog
« Reply #242 on: June 30, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
As it turned out I had enough left over female figure fodder that I can make both a Mara Jade and Ventress Asajj. So, I started my Mara, even though I still haven't finished any of the others. Heres her early work

Mara Jade WIP by JetpackBlues

Mara Jade WIP by JetpackBlues

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
Cool, can't wait to see more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #244 on: July 01, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
Wow, looks great so far. Glad to hear you enough stuff for both. Back on the front page.

When you gonna start on that AT-AT Driver? ::)

Offline JetpackBlues

• Building Better Worlds
  • Lieutenant
  • We Keep Odd Hours
    • JetpackBlues Blog
« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »
Not sure if I should be surprised that the last figure I started in my Star Wars gals line is the first one finished...it's probably just because she was the easiest. But yeah, I'm calling Mara finish. Sorry for the crappy pictures, took these with my phone bc my Nikon is "under the weather"

Mara Jade Complete by JetpackBlues

Mara Jade Complete by JetpackBlues

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
That Mara is amazing.

And your pic quality with the phone looks better than what I do with my Nikon.   O0

0/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2014, 07:28:32 AM »
I agree, I wish my HD Camera would take as good of pics as your phone. What a great custom. I really like here. Off to the front page.

Offline JetpackBlues

• Building Better Worlds
  • Lieutenant
  • We Keep Odd Hours
    • JetpackBlues Blog
« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »
So, this past weekend was a weird one that just led to me trying something I never thought about doing or ever attempted before. It all started with me first tooling around trying an AT-AT pilot but that not working out. So instead I started fooling around with a Tie Pilot. I got this far

Tie pilot wip and Mac by JetpackBlues

I posted this WIP up on Instagram and one of my friends said it looked like a cross between Star Wars and Mad Max. Then he suggested I do a series of those figures. I liked the idea, but knowing of the awesome stuff Sillof does I assumed he must have gotten around to that mashup and upon visiting his site found that he indeed covered this concept... and recently at that. So I figured screw it. I'm not going to work the same concept. A few words with friends on it and they told me I should do it anyway, just do it 1:18 scale. Its not like I'd do the same thing. So I decided I would only consider it if I find a suitable vehicle. Yes, they actually have a 1:18 scale Interceptor from the movies but I'm not spending upwards of 200 dollars. So I went to my local shop and low and behold I found I cool die cast challenger for 23 bucks. I bought it. Here she is modeled by Evil Ash

Ive never worked with vehicles and I certainly never worked with metal so I knew I was in for a puzzle. But I picked up some enamel paints came home and scratched my head. I wanted it to be "Mad Max'y" which means it would need a super charger. So I went to my hobby guy and picked up some dinky plastic kit that had parts for me to build one. That was the easiest part. I now realized I had to cut a hole in the hood for it to fit. The die cast metal hood... and I don't have tools to cut through metal. So I MacGyver'd up my poor little Dremel in a rather unsafe way, put on homemade body armor and went at it. An hour later I was still alive and I had my hole.

So now I had the base down as best I could get it. Now I had to paint it. I sanded her down and primed her and attempted to lay down a silver undercoat with Model Masters enamel paint. It went on essentially transparent. Ok, maybe it just needs another coat. Three coats later and the door I was trying to paint was still primer colored, just shinier. So I had to sand it down again. This time I attempted to paint the silver undercoat with just a regular Testors silver. It went on with no issue. So I went about painting the whole cars undercoat with this paint. Now for the black. I figured surely the metallic black Model Masters would cover over... it didn't. It essentially went on transparent, again. So, I pulled out my flat black model masters. Surely this will coat. Surely it didn't. I don't know if I got a bunch of bad paints but I find it hard to believe all the paints I just bought that day were bad. Regardless I broke out the regular Testors black paints and had no issue. Then came weathering, another thing I've never tried on any scale larger than a 1:18 scale stormtrooper helmet. I went about this the way I go about everything (much the same way I went about this entire car), making up crap as I go along. I know there are a million tutorials on weathering and one day I will probably look at one but this day was not the day.

So, I got the car the way I want, still pending some work, but basically I like it. Then I start wondering about the figures. Should I do a Star Wars/ Mad Max mashup or just do Mad Max? I decided not to mash up, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to do movie Max or not. I feel like since the car is not accurate I shouldn't. So, for now at least, its gonna be Miffed Mac until I figure things out

Tie pilot wip and Mac by JetpackBlues, on Flickr

And a close up of the weathering

Offline kelcken

• Lieutenant
« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
 That's sweet! I love the weathering on the car, it looks like it's been sitting outside for a few years?

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
Nice paint work on the car, I love it. The figure looks good too. You could just make him a zombie slayer....

Offline JetpackBlues

• Building Better Worlds
  • Lieutenant
  • We Keep Odd Hours
    • JetpackBlues Blog
« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2014, 06:25:06 AM »
That's sweet! I love the weathering on the car, it looks like it's been sitting outside for a few years?

Yeah. It was my first attempt ever at attempting a textured weathering. Honestly I think the little bits of oxide blue sell it

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #252 on: July 09, 2014, 06:39:49 AM »
All this stuff is looking fresh.  Especially that Mara. ;)
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »
Wow, that helmet for the AT-AT Pilot turned TIE Pilot looks awesome. Love your take on Mad Max too though!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
MAD MAX!!! Nuff said!