Author Topic: BlackThorne's Dioramas  (Read 60446 times)

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
Re: BlackThorne's Dioramas
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:27 PM »
Wow, this looks fantastic!

Off to share on the front pages.

Thanks! S2

That's really nice! The mud and muck on R2 looks fantastic and that tree is amazing. Looks top notch.

Thanks, Starchaser. That was my fisrt time making foliage. It was hard and to be honest I almost ripped the trees outs. But in the end worked OK.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2021, 12:06:56 AM »
I was thinking of a similar display last week when I opened the 2-Pack with Luke & Yoda. Your display diorama looks really good. I think the trees are a piece of art by themselves as I find it quite difficult to incorporate trees in 1/18 scale in my dios - not even talking about 1/12 scale. So kudos to you!
Such a nice display to honor these well done figures.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2021, 02:01:30 AM »
This is such a sensational dio/display mate especially in such a small space, you have been able to get everything to combine very naturally with each other without sacrificing one for another 10/10

Ron

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »
I was thinking of a similar display last week when I opened the 2-Pack with Luke & Yoda. Your display diorama looks really good. I think the trees are a piece of art by themselves as I find it quite difficult to incorporate trees in 1/18 scale in my dios - not even talking about 1/12 scale. So kudos to you!
Such a nice display to honor these well done figures.

I had the same insight after opening this 2pack. The trees were the main challenge, I made them with chopsticks.Put some toghther and covered with acrilic mass and when it started to dry I sculpted the base texture. Then started gluing the foliage, a bit at time. The was made with some brown tones, for medium to darkt, and after grees from lighter to darkers.

This is such a sensational dio/display mate especially in such a small space, you have been able to get everything to combine very naturally with each other without sacrificing one for another 10/10

Ron

Thanks, I'm glad in the end all went well. During some stages I was about to scrap the whole thing. But, do or do not, there is no try.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2021, 12:27:57 AM »
Thank you so much for the detailed instructions! I'll try this tonight and will share some pics later! Got some chopsticks which I'm going to use for tents on my "Lake on Endor" diorama - inspired by EA's Battlefront game and as part of my "peaceful scenes". Hadn't thought of building trees with them yet - even though they're thin bamboo sticks...duh!

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
I kind of finish the first phase of a series of dioramas for my new rebel base. For this one I made a full repaint of the POTF A-wing, giving it some solid ROTJ colors.

The next set will probably feat the B-wing.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2021, 01:47:37 AM »
This Sunday was the best one in quite some time on here for me. BlizzardForce is back and you shared a new diorama! I absolutely love your Rebel Base! I think you got the best A-Wing to date and still hope we'll get an all-new one from Hasbro for TVC. They just have to make it happen to complete the Rebel fleet in TVC packaging...I also like how you combined figures and outfits from all recent entertainment by Di$ney and make them look great! Headcanon is a great thing.

I love how you highlighted some bricks of the wall, but I'm especially amazed by the texture of the floor and how you painted it. Thanks for sharing this miracle of a display with all these nice accessories!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2021, 02:56:52 AM »
I found myself nodding to all of Philipp's comments about how cool this is. Great work. I love how the foilage and green adds a great balance to the walls too. Just awesome work. Man that A-Wing!

Off to the front pages.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2021, 01:57:39 PM »
This Sunday was the best one in quite some time on here for me. BlizzardForce is back and you shared a new diorama! I absolutely love your Rebel Base! I think you got the best A-Wing to date and still hope we'll get an all-new one from Hasbro for TVC. They just have to make it happen to complete the Rebel fleet in TVC packaging...I also like how you combined figures and outfits from all recent entertainment by Di$ney and make them look great! Headcanon is a great thing.

I love how you highlighted some bricks of the wall, but I'm especially amazed by the texture of the floor and how you painted it. Thanks for sharing this miracle of a display with all these nice accessories!

Nice! Users generated content are some of my favs too. With some recent ROTJ launches now maybe hasbro give us a new A-wing, if this comer true I'll change the painting because I have enought ones with ROTJ colors. In fact this one would have the McQuarrie concept colors, but I changed my mind last minute.

I'm glad you like the dio, there will be at least 2 more with the same theme.

I found myself nodding to all of Philipp's comments about how cool this is. Great work. I love how the foilage and green adds a great balance to the walls too. Just awesome work. Man that A-Wing!

Off to the front pages.

Thanks! My main referrence for the walls was this image: https://teamsbackground.net/star-wars-background-images/star-wars-backgrounds-04/

Those old vehicles have an awesome sculpt under an industrial paint. I mean, its not a bad paint by any mean, but like potatoes it can alway be better.

Hangarbay94's paints app were an inspiration since my first day here.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2021, 09:13:03 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing this link to teamsbackground! The resolution is rather small, but serve their purpose as desktop background. I’m going to print some of these high-res backdrops for my dioramas.
And I’m very excited to see more hangar dioramas! You really inspire me to finish my current projects. Thanks so much for sharing your epic work here.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2021, 03:04:48 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing this link to teamsbackground! The resolution is rather small, but serve their purpose as desktop background. I’m going to print some of these high-res backdrops for my dioramas.
And I’m very excited to see more hangar dioramas! You really inspire me to finish my current projects. Thanks so much for sharing your epic work here.

Nice! Here you can download the hi-res ones, including some of the Jumar base I used as the source material:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-backgrounds

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2021, 08:06:08 PM »
That's a great dio! I like the paint job on the A-wing. I, too, really like the organic elements (vines and greenery). You do such an amazing job with the details on these builds. Nice placement of figures and accessories too.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
Very cool! I especially love the paint on the floor laying out the parking area; that's a rad detail.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2021, 05:43:40 PM »
That's a great dio! I like the paint job on the A-wing. I, too, really like the organic elements (vines and greenery). You do such an amazing job with the details on these builds. Nice placement of figures and accessories too.

Thanks! I hope to share the final layout in a few weeks.

Very cool! I especially love the paint on the floor laying out the parking area; that's a rad detail.

Yes, this type of grime is a must have for the SW dios.

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2021, 07:08:05 PM »
This is so cool!