Author Topic: Wreckage's Custom Figures-Ewoking Dead custom added 11/23  (Read 10246 times)

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
I haven't been posting much because I was bogged down working on some other projects. I am the project manager for the crew that puts together custom exclusives for a local toy show, NJCC, and it took up a lot of my time. I finally finished up the other day, so I cranked out a new figure. It is GI Joe this time, not Star Wars. I do a lot more GI Joe figures than Star wars anyway, but lately I only post them on facebook for friends to see.

This was a super simple "Retaliation"-ish Low-Light. I just dry brushed the Snake Eyes from the 3 pack with a couple different grays, repainted a DG Shipwreck head, and added goggles, a marauder sniper rifle, and a cast of the retaliation Clutch vest from RaginSpoon. The red kneepads are leftover from a previous casting project.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Wreckage's Custom Figures-Low-Light added 5/27/13
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 12:49:53 PM »
Wow, it looks tops to me. On the front page.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
Re: Wreckage's Custom Figures-Low-Light added 5/27/13
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »
Now this is a Joe!  Nice touches on the thermal with the drybrushing and the spots of red stand out perfectly.  I love the blond beard too; nice choice there.

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
Re: Wreckage's Custom Figures-Ghost Ninjas, snipers and more 6/29/2013
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
This is going to be a long update. I have been spending WAAAYYY too much time stalking Lucasclones and Luke Sprywalker on Facebook, and they have been a huge influence on my work for the past month, not just in theme and execution, but also in how prolific they both have been.

I'll start with what was, for me, a simple repaint...kind of. I mentioned before that I am project manager for the NJCC custom figure giveaways. Well, last show, we used a Retaliation Roadblock to make a Salvo custom. After the GI Joe convention set, Nocturnal Fire, spotlighted Night Force, I saw an opportunity to take the "Night Force" looking Roadblock from the Retaliation ninja Dojo 3 pack and adapt him in a similar manner with some damaged NJCC Salvo parts. This is Night Force (NJCC) Salvo.

This figure is the first of my "Copying Spry and Lucasclones" Ghost Ninjas. I wasn't sure what colors I wanted to use for this first Ghost ninja, so I tried an "ectoplasm" looking greenish ghostly apparition. So, this is my "Ghost Ninja swordsman Apparition", appearing to Storm Shadow.

This next figure was inspired by the teal colored web gear from the Snake Eyes in the recent GI Joe Retaliation 3 pack. Initially the web gear was designed for a Pursuit of Cobra Jungle Storm Shadow that was meant for 2010 release but was canceled, although somewhat easy to obtain from Asia on eBay as a "prototype". I took the teal web gear and tried to copy the original unreleased Storm Shadow with a black, gray and teal color scheme and use it as a Pursuit of Cobra Ninja Ku. Ninja Ku was originally a black repaint of the 1984 Storm Shadow released in South America in the 1980's, and he inspired a SS repaint in the 25th Joe line.

More next post...

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »
The next three pieces were created from parts made by a resin artist who goes by "the Mark Ultra". I've recently gotten into art toys, specifically resin art, and he is one I have bought from and traded with. i sent him a box of parts he wanted for projects, he sent me a bag of some of his resin figure parts, but in "kit" form, he had not assembled anything. The next three piece came from those parts.

I just call this "Alien overlord". The head and body were from TMU, the collar was scratch built.

This is a repaint with added parts of Mark Ultra's "Dave" astronaut figure that has been released in several colorways from both himself and as a collaboration with Killer Bootlegs. You can see, it is a combination of recast vintage Star wars and GI joe parts. I took an unpainted figure, added the mutated limbs and skull head, and repainted it in a similar scheme to the first Dave release.

This final collaboration was a cast of a kitbashed MUSCLE figure that was damaged, so I added the robot hand. Apparently the whole MUSCLE format is pretty big within this genre, I'm not very familiar with it but i saw a cool opportunity to paint up a fun figure.

All three.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
OK, the next figure was an attempt to adapt a Chap Mei sniper figure to a modern GI Joe figure format. It isn't perfect, but close enough for me without dumbing down the paint job and sculpting the webgear from scratch.

With the original sniper figure

Back to the Ghost Ninjas, originated by the Concept case reveal at Joe con 2012 and popularized by Sprywalker and Lucasclones (who I was totally inspired by). This is my Ghost Ninja Assassin.

This is my most recent Ghost Ninja, I'm just calling it "Forest Swordsman". I assembled him from some reject parts, so he is really kind of a mess of joint rubs, but I like how he came out so I might remake him with better parts later.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
This is Tiger Claw. there have been some pretty awesome versions of him done lately, I borrowed liberally from Bad Sociologist's version.

This last guy is a Ghost samurai WIP. I took the Wolverine Silver Samurai and dremeled him to death, then added all the parts to a DG Storm Shadow. I am still deciding on a color scheme but I am leaning towards red.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
Wow, what a great update. I can see that you have been busy.

Back to the front page.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
Great Update Kevin. There are seriously too many wesome peices here to comment on! Great work all around!

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »
Too Cool Man!

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »
Lots of cool customs  0/

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »
Kevin this is a mind blowing update! I love every piece here, such nice work! The ghost ninjas are some of my favorites and I may have to buy that Silver Samurai as I must try to make one of those for my collection. Such a great looking figure in just white!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53:17 AM »
Man there are a ton of great customs in this update. Had to get it back on the front page.

Offline Wreckage

• Ensign
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
Thanks guys! Luke, I might be doing a second set of armor and seeing who wants to cast it. It would respond to paint a lot better cast in a harder material. I have a couple more Ghosts planned, I keep getting more ideas watching Chad do his. Right now, i am working on some more of the weird stuff, I got more parts from another resin artist named Killer Bootlegs that I am playing with.

Offline nickeltcd

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »
Great Ghost Samurai, i would love to see him in a dark grey or Black!
you did a great job.

By the Knights of Mandalore, our Quest will ring true