Author Topic: Glorbes Vehicles (Sherman and Panzer III Tanks, p. 12)  (Read 41420 times)

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
Re: Looong absence...but finally a new Star Wars vehicle project!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:40:55 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!  And thanks also for the shout-out on the main page...quite an honor!  My little guy is having a grand old time with it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Looong absence...but finally a new Star Wars vehicle project!
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
No problem. I hope you keep building!

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
Re: Glorbes Cardboard Star Wars Builds
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 07:30:36 AM »
 Finished this up a few days ago...my son and I tackled the Sail Barge.

Its all corrugated cardboard, cereal box, masking and duct tape, and carpenter's glue.  It took about 2 or 3 days all told, but they've been spread out over the last week and a half.  Its not an accurate recreation or anything, but since Hasbro missed the 30th anniversary of Jedi without announcing this, I figured...why not?  Besides, Jedi is my little guy's favorite SW movie, and his favorite scene is the barge battle.  He did cutting, gluing, helped draw the templates, and spray painted this thing...some serious skills, man! 

The inside is undecorated at the moment, but we may do something about that soon:

With last year's cardboard behemoth:

Thanks for looking.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Glorbes Cardboard Star Wars Builds (3-day Sail Barge p. 2)
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:55 PM »
How cool is this! L.E. is gonna go nuts when he sees this.

Three days and built out of cardboard! Brilliant. Look for it on our front page soon.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
WOW! You've created a size template for the sail-barge that Hasbro need to mass produce. This really is an impressive creation, the images don't give away it's true scale until you see the figures on board.

Absolutely fantastic!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 01:24:50 AM »
Wow, that looks great, Glorbes!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »
Doesn't this just make you shake you head about Hasbro?

Once again just great work and it is at the top of our front page today.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 06:25:42 AM »
That is amazing! Bravo to you and your son on this build.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 06:39:02 AM »
Awesome stuff Glorbes! 3 day build!?! Very impressive! I love this version of the barge and as has been said, Hasbro could easily do one this size. It isn't to scale but is big enough to make for an awesome rendition of the barge that you could actually play with. So awesome that your son helped build this one and I know he is happy having this ship in the collection. Man, I want one!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 08:11:38 AM »
Awesome stuff Glorbes! 3 day build!?! Very impressive! I love this version of the barge and as has been said, Hasbro could easily do one this size. It isn't to scale but is big enough to make for an awesome rendition of the barge that you could actually play with. So awesome that your son helped build this one and I know he is happy having this ship in the collection. Man, I want one!

What a great father & son project. 
BTW, That sail barge may be simple cardboard, but the weathering is amazing!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »

I spent a few bucks on white spray paint and foam balls for the shield generators (which I'll have to fix, since the partially disintegrated from the paint).  Otherwise, I made it from stuff from the recycle bin.  The way I see it, this is a practice run for a more elaborate vehicle made of wood or styrene...but to be honest, this cardboard ship seems to really fit the bill.

First, the look in your son's eyes is priceless.  You are such a great geek dad.

Second.  Pick up a little bit of two component plastic repair medium or a tub of wood filler at your local hardware store.  Those usually costs about $5-6, and you can use them for so many other projects.  Take a small amount of the stuff and roll a thin layer on the surface of your styrofoam balls.  Once cured, it will take paint without disintigrating.  The other solution is to use a ping pong ball instead of styrofoam.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:21:00 AM by Sjefke »

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
that sail barge is Excellent !!! oh how it breaks the heart that hasbro wont be doing a sail barge  ....

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and for the page 1 boost!

The idea was definitely to produce something that was not at an insane scale, but that could exist in the vintage Kenner or current Hasbro line.  It was more of an impression of the sail barge than an accurate recreation...the simplicity of some of my choices made it possible for my son to be involved as well.  The best part about working with cardboard is how easy it is to achieve curved surfaces (unlike styrene, which is a pain in the arse).  The cheapness is also a big plus, and I gotta tell ya...if you build the support structure with enough material, it stands up to some play. 

That tip on coating the styrofoam balls in plaster or spaclking compound is brilliant...I'll be using that for sure.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 02:58:41 AM »
Glorbes one of these days I would love to hear you talk about these on an episode of our customizing podcast called Custom Action Figure News. Consider this an official invite if you ever have the time.

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »
The Tatooine Skiff has been an elusive toy for me over the years.  Whenever Hasbro has released it, it’s been as an exclusive and has had a ridiculous mark-up on eBay by those who are willing t sell it.  After losing many auctions, and ultimately giving up, I figured, since I made the Barge, and the epic battles that have been happening in my house over the Great Pit of Carkoon (an unused Bumbo baby seat covered by a beige blanket), I figured the skiff would be a great subject for a small scale styrene build.

030 and 060 styrene sheet and some tube and rod make up the elements of this guy.  I wasn’t trying to do anything spectacular here, just make something that looks the part and can stand up to some play.

One feature that was a must was to have a retracting plank...a simple bit of engineering that almost works!

The basecoat was olive green, covered in a few layers of silver, brown, orange, white, and tan.

Almost works with the Black Series Leia...almost:

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.