Author Topic: Glorbes Vehicles (Sherman and Panzer III Tanks, p. 12)  (Read 41361 times)

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
Re: Glorbes Vehicles (Sandcrawler! p. 9)
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
Holy absolute Jawa juice! That's amazing! This looks factory made! How many damn hours did it take!? I'm really curious to see how you put this together. The work is flawless. That's like laser-accurate construction there.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2020, 12:11:49 AM »
That is a magnificent build! I love the scale of it and it looks so authentic. You did a great job designing this and executing it and the paint job looks good, too.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2020, 11:14:00 AM »
Holy moly, what a beast!
Fantastic build!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2020, 03:28:24 AM »
I still haven't come up with words to explain how awesome I think this is. Such genius here.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2020, 03:39:54 AM »
Seriously, this looks like a legit prototype from Hasbro. The prototype of an awesome vehicle we probably never get - not even as HasLab Project. Much respect. This looks highly professional & super awesome! Do you work in the toy/plastic industry?

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2020, 03:42:05 AM »
Oh wow!!! That Sandcrawler has drawn me out of lurking here.   Do you have plans you could share of the Sandcrawler?

Good! :D Now, you better don't lurk anymore - we NEED your comments here! Pleeease!

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2020, 04:13:08 PM »
REALLY in love with your Sandcrawler! I don't have one and wanted one for over 25 years! Seen them all but everytime $$$. Yours is like a dream thank you for posting pictures especially the unpainted.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »
You did a fantastic job on this! I was actually thinking about buying one of these the other day, and fix it up. You went above and beyond anything I would have even thought of.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2020, 12:00:22 AM »
Damn Glorbes the Transformer ships are excellent but WOW O WOW bro that sandcrawler is brilliant.

Ron

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
Everyone has said it already, but that crawler is beyond sweet.  I love seeing all the frame pieces from old plastic models being used for pipes and other details.  So much beautiful detail.

Offline glorbes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Really, there is no pattern, just reference material that I used and made it up as I went.  I did some drawings and used the Star Wars Chronicle and Sculpting a Galaxy books to determine proportions.  My original plans had this thing being twice as big, but scaled it way back.

Anyway, my latest project (and last one for a while):

Razor Crest

The main thing I was looking for at NY Toy Fair was an announcement of a Vintage Collection Razor Crest.  Instead we got...another Troop Transport and a reissue of the Slave 1.  With that disappointment out of the way, I set about making my own damn Razor Crest.

Styrene is the material, with curved surfaces roughed out using the same method I applied to my USS Enterprise from 9 years (!) ago...creating a skeletal rounded structure filled out with a LOT of thin styrene planks.  I puttied and sanded the canopy and front, and opted to leave the engines unputtied to give the look of more panel lines and texture. The cannons were based around a wooden dowel that I shaped with my dremel to create a cannon tip.

On the show, there are hatches on each side and one main hatch in the back.  I opted to create hinged and magnetized hatches for the the right side and the aft of the ship, and the canopy would hinge from the front.  To simplify my life, I didn’t worry about having transparent canopy “glass” and opted to go for the same look with the window sections painted black.

The cockpit is pretty simplistic: I made it so I could fit Mando (and a Baby Yoda if they ever make a 3.75 scaled version), and there is a small hatch to the main hold behind where he sits.   

The main hold has pretty bare-bones detailing...just a few control panels, the Vac-Tube, and Mando’s gun cabinet.  Obviously, this thing is under-scaled, but I wanted this toy to be small enough for my seven year old son to zoom around the room, but big enough to fit the necessary characters and still look good positioned next to the Sandcrawler.   

When I was determining the proportions, I had in mind the vintage Falcon and Slave 1 toys and their proportions.

That top square panel is removable, giving access to the interior from the top of the ship:

The wings should be more elongated, but in person this thing is really exactly what I wanted.  As soon as I watched the first episode in November, I knew I was going to make this thing if Hasbro wasn’t getting it out there by the end of 2020.  I happened to wander into the Wal Mart toy aisle when I was making my weekly trip to get groceries, and I nearly fell over when I saw Mando and Cara Dune on the pegs.  Perfect timing to coincide with my finishing up this project:

I’ll still buy the Hasbro iteration if it ever gets released, but I am really pleased with how this one worked out.

Thanks for looking. 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Glorbes Vehicles (Razor Crest! p. 10)
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2020, 05:36:54 PM »
Oh, it’s a jaw dropping good time around here.
Your Razor Crest is amazing! No need to wait, just make your own.

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »
Absolutely perfect.  I doubt if Hasbro makes one if it'll be nearly as nice.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2020, 10:57:15 PM »
Brilliant! I like the design choice to keep it smaller and simpler. We collectors can get a bit hypercritical about "screen accurate" when they are toys after all, and what's the point if your children can't enjoy them right? The ship looks really great. You have a spectacular sense for modeling these ships, I am really impressed. What a great addition to your collection. Magnificent work. I'm sure if you ever decided to tackle a more to scale model it would be jaw-dropping, as this version is pretty amazing and a welcome addition to the Star Wars fleet.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2020, 12:11:19 AM »
Look great. I just hope that silver paint doesn't rub off on your younglings'  hands and all over the house  :P

Love the scale. Very much matches the old Kenner esthetics.

Glad you found the figures to go with it. I know I'd snag that Mando for $13 if I saw it too... And I don't even collect TVC or anything during first run, especially right now.