Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII  (Read 34467 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
Please for the love of God nobody spoil the movie. I probably won't be able to see till next week. I'm sure most people won't see it the first day.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:29:35 PM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
I had the opportunity to go on Thursday with some work buddies. I declined as I'm seeing it on Sunday. As much as I wanted to, I already made plans for Sunday with some close friends. We wanted to see it earlier but agreed Sunday would be better for all of us. Believe me, I would love to see it the first night, and nothing against my work buddies, but it just wouldn't seem right to me to see it without my friends (I grew up with them).
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2015, 01:32:53 AM »
I saw it last night. Still reeling from it. To say J.J. Abrams and his cast and crew didn't disappoint is a huge understatement. Han's quote "... we're home" applies not only to him and his best pal, but also to Star Wars as a film franchise. Fast paced, awesome effects (both cgi and practical) and fun! Man, did we laugh out loud on more than one occasion!

Go see it, my friends, go see it many times. I know I will. In any case tomorrow evening and Saturday afternoon with my two girls (7 and 10 y/o). Boy, I can't wait how they'll react to the movie and to some key scenes in particular. Probably next Tuesday/Wednesday as well :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2015, 04:35:00 AM »
Remco, thank you for your spoiler free thoughts about the new movie. I am on pins and needles thinking my wait is almost over today. I have surgery (scheduled way before we even knew about the movie) and I will be seeing it anyhow even if they have to wheel in a chair.

Please folks share your thoughts and keep em spoiler free like Remco has so we don't ruin the storyline for anyone who may not get a chance to see this for awhile.

My thoughts right now are that I am way more excited for this than I was for the Prequels and I was way excited for them. I do feel like I am coming home. It is just a great way to put it for me. I kinda feel like when I first got back to the states after Desertstorm (my tour) was over.

When I got off the plane, a little old lady I didn't know ran and hugged me and wouldn't let go. It is one of the best memories of my life. I kinda feel like that little old lady now ready to run up and hug JJ and my fellow SW Fans for what is looking like the golden age for we Star Wars Fan. Does anyone else feel the same?

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:35 AM »
I'm sure you will love the movie.
The 3D effects make for a very cool experience.
You will see great new characters, both hero and villain as well as old friends. The story has everything a Star Wars movie needs, action, adventures, love, hate, courage, fun, sadness, technology, new worlds, aliens, humans and droids.
The story ends...as you'll be able to guess...with a cliffhanger and I'm sure you will feel not be able to wait till Ep.VIII.

Yes, in my book there are a few shortcomings which a fan who's familiar with the saga could have helped to avoid, but hey, there's always something to complain about.
Altogether, this is a movie you will want to watch several times as there's so much to see which you may overlook during the first viewing.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2015, 12:48:22 AM »
It just occured to me that from now on, in the SW verse, the initials J.J. will no longer be scoffed at. Instead, they will be treated with respect  ;D

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2015, 02:16:37 AM »
I've seen it twice now and all I can say is thank you J.J. as with the new Star Trek you have made Star Wars come back to life and as a mate said after the midnight session his comment was STAR WARS is back and I couldn't agree more.

EP VII was a breath of fresh air, the action, comedy, plot, the way the characters interacted with each other took me back to when I first saw EP IV everything just blended in perfectly it actually gave me goose bumps.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2015, 05:13:39 AM »
I am going this morning as my surgery went well. I cannot wait. The whole house is astir.

Offline CloneCommander Buy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
i am going x-mas day with my two boys. santa will be bring them tickets to see it in 3d

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2015, 05:08:08 AM »
Well my initial reaction is a little more subdued than most folks. There were a few things I would have done differently, but such is to be expected.

Still, it was new Star Wars and that is good period. The new characters they introduced I found I really liked and seeing a gal as the new "hero" just warmed my heart as having a daughter I sometimes feel there is still a bit of lag or gender imbalance for women. Disney, Lucasfilm, JJ, or whomever is shattering that I thank you and bravo sirs and mams! Rey is just a great hero and I can't wait to see more of her period. My daughter loved her. This movie is so right for the little gals and boys who can now have Rey and Finn to play as their heros.

It has everything you have come to expect in regards to Star Wars Movies; epic planets, great special effects, beasties and new aliens, scoundrels, heros, evil and battle. The return of the heros I loved in the original trilogy brought a tear to my eye and daggone it was good to see em again. It just felt right. Thank You whomever made them a big part of the new movies too. I am coming to grips with the fact that new movies mean new heros and what not, but trust me our childhood heroes are still around and play more than just bit appearances in this which is what I feared.

Other than some minor story things I didn't like (to be expected as SW is my baby after all) I felt the movie was more than predictable in many situations, but overall I didn't mind that and would have felt cheated if they didn't have some of the things we have come to expect in a Star Wars Movie. I hope that makes some sense, but for OT moviegoers I bet it does.

My criticism is small, very small folks. It is a series of movies we can get our whole families into and all of us root for the heroes or the bad guys (yes I do a bit of that too) and none of us are gonna leave the movie theater feeling cheated or let down. Go see it as Remco said. Go see it many times!

Offline KIM

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
Well it's been a whole day since I saw it and I'm still accessing it, trying to come to terms with it. It wasn't like the original where it was a life changing experience, this was thought provoking like the phantom menace but with a positive slant. It was a good film but without the natural flow of dialogue of the original, forced in places with a few ad libs thrown in, nit picking perhaps but I can't see kids quoting phrases from it. The special effects were faultless,  but there's this need to out do previous efforts that makes the whole story line unbelievable, bigger weapons doesn't necessarily make a better film. Several friends thought it was a copy of the first film and I can see their point of view.
 It hasn't made me want to buy any of the current products Disney has to offer but I can see possibilities for the future   
None of the new characters have taken the place of Han, Luke or Leia but maybe that's for the next generation of fans.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
KIM, good points. For us the magic was the first three films. Honestly is anything ever gonna hold a candle to those? I doubt it.

I mean when I first walked out of the theater and my wife and I related just a bit at first I felt a bit short changed. Then, I listened to my daughter (her first SW film) talk about it and I had to realize I was viewing it through different lenses. If this was our first film I bet it would be our favorite.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2015, 07:19:04 AM »
*spoilers*
I've read nearly every Star Wars Book, every book report throughout my school years was on Star Wars, I played the games, I always had to wear my Star Wars sweats to pre-school, I have hundreds of action figures, a dozen T-shirts, I recognize every species by name, read the comics, I'm only 20, so I can't remember a time in my life without Star Wars. I wanted to like the film, but was extremely reserved about it, for it stands for the destruction of the EU. Like I said, I wanted to like it, and gave it a chance... I feel like Disney spit on me again, and my Knowledge of the galaxy far far away! They took one of the most important things in my life, and replaced it with this trash! The story is a complete copy of episode 4! Oh lets start with a droid that gets away from a fire fight with a secret, same thing happened at the beginning of Ep. 4. Then the droid finds a lonely girl, R2 found a lonely boy (he was, all his friends left Tatooine years before him), and both took place on a desert planet. Both Rey and Luke were reluctant to realize their destinies, for Luke it was cleared up with the death of his aunt and uncle, for Rey it's later, but very much the same. They then take that droid to where it needs to go, Rey and Luke both get a lightsaber from a teacher, sure Rey's isn't as in depth, but Luke's was't much longer. The main villain is a powerful force wielder that struggles with his destiny, and serves a master that's only using him, sound familiar? He's no Vader though, dang what a child he is. Oh, and the new Death Star, call it Starkiller Base, all you want, but it's a death star, in the movie they even make it a point to say there's a difference, but the only difference is it destroys a system, completely unoriginal! Oh and don't forget the "resistance." That's not at all like the rebellion, nope, not one bit. Not to mention all the things in the movie that don't Make sense! BB-8 had a huge chunk of the galaxy in that map, and they couldn't figure out where a hole sector in the mid rim is? Why would Han, and Leia call tier child Ben? Ben wasn't a master or teacher to either of them! In the EU (the true Star Wars), Luke names his son Ben, that makes sense. Leia is a General out of nowhere, and I quote she says "I went back to doing what I do best." What the Heck? She was never part of the military, or had anything to do with it, she was raised to be a politician! That's even Cannon info! Then Why would Han run away? If he learned anything from the first three movies, it was his friends needed him, and he needed them! Just grrrrr! How stupid is Jar Jar Abrams! The misplaced references to the original trilogy, didn't make sense, the characters didn't see the movies, but it was written as if they did. Why was it our world modern? With the phrases, and words they use, the only connection between our world, and the Star Wars universe is that it's written here. Everything was also too just so happened. All the events just line up, Han and Chewie, just happened to have the Falcon stolen, and out of a huge Galaxy, just happened to be there, and that was the hole movie. You can argue the other movies to be the same, but not the entire movies. Like when R2 and 3po where picked up by Jawas, and sold to the Lars, jawas are scavengers, and pick up everything, and they sell to moister farmers, it's cause to effect, not just so happens. To top it all off, the misplaced comedy. All it was missing was Adam Sandler, then it really would have been a bad comedy. It just wasn't Star Wars, like the Rogue One pic, most of the movie didn't even give a Star Wars feel. Think what Lucas did, he gave us recognizable species, and droids to complement the new ones after the first movie. TFA gave a lot of new in that category, but nothing to tether it into Star Wars. For me Star Wars is dead, and for that, a part of me is dead, with the EU, the true Star Wars, so much better than episode 7, I feel completely alienated, and lonely... and all because I love Star Wars... Sorry to rant, but I'm not going to lie I need to let it out. 20 years is a good run I guess, but I don't know what it's like to not have Star Wars.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:53:03 AM by Mandalore25 »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »
You forgot to say, SPOILER ALERT!

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2015, 07:52:36 AM »
Oh! My apologies, I didn't intend to spoil anything, but this is a thread about the movie, and it is out now. Will fix it now.