Author Topic: Return of Darth Maul 3 pack review  (Read 9056 times)

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
Return of Darth Maul 3 pack review
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:28 AM »

Alrighty guys thought I would pop in with a little review here as there has finally been something new in my neck of the swamp to review. I went last week to Target and found the new Darth Maul Returns set and grabbed it up as this was a pack i had been highly anticipating. I will start with Savage Oppress first:

Savage is a repack of the single carded armored Savage from last year. Hasbro enters with their "Lame factor"(my term I am coining to describe dumb stuff they do ) here by not including his double saber like the fig should come with and instead giving him the gimmicky Staff sans the missle! I was hoping to not open my single carded Savage in case of possibly selling or trading him due to the fact that i could have a double of him with this pack. Because of the lame factor I had to open him up for the saber. The good part of this is now I have a Oppress to customize with ( the removable shoulder armor pads need to be casted as it they are awesome bits to have around for so many ideas ). Other than that I prefer this SO because the paint is slightly more rich in tone so I gave him the saber and he's good to maul Jedi. Same arty as the previous armored SO too. Lame no artyed ankles.
 Next up is Good old Red and Black Demonic looking chicken walker Maul:

Ok, so i think a lot of dudes were anticipating this fig for a lot of reasons. One was that the awesome Expanded Universe Maul was too tough to get and this fig is a nice cheaper alternative to him. I will start off by saying this: This is a nice figure but it is not untouched by the lame factor. Case and point: NO ARTICULATED WRISTS!! C'mon Hasbro shouldn't this be as super articulated out of any of the figs in the pack?? I will say that the legs are well aartyed but Maul cannot even two hand his saber. He comes with the saber that breaks in two and i think its the same one that came with the vintage Maul. I have a soft spot for this character as i think he has been done wrong in the SW universe and am glad they brought him back. I want this to be my ultimate Maul with the cool legs. All I can say is I will have to do some work to modify him so that he IS that. Stay tuned to my customs thread to see how i accomplish this. His wrists are so thin that I think i am going to have to break down and actually purchase a pin vise (something I have been putting off for a while) to be able to fix. Arty rundown: Ball joints: Head, hip  Ball hinge: shoulders, elbows,  knees, ankles and he has a swivel waist and again no wrist articulation. He also has this weird red doodad that you can hook his saber into. Kinda reminds me of the Grevious lightsaber thing that twirls around.

I think Raph is going to win!

Nightsister:

Easily takes the pack. While not being exactly Talzin I think she is close enough. I know a few people (Darth Daddy for one) are modifying this figure to make her more accurate but I dont think its that necessary plus i kinda like the feathers ;) Shes great with a fully articulated body like SWs figs should be sans ball jointed hips. And yes she has ankle articulation!!!! Yippee. Now all I gotta do is make a few of those cool Ninja looking chics to stand on either sdie of her! (Darth Daddy you could make some and send them to me ;))

i hope you guys enjoyed this review as it was a lot of typing! lol!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
Re: Return of Darth Maul 3 pack review
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
These are really awesome! Great review! ;D
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
Spot Chad. I bet you a lot of folks are being a bit stronger than the Lame Factor. I like your take on this from a customizing perspective. On the front page. I will do a fp imp archive button for this too.

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
Yeah...I came across this pack "in the wild" and set it back down. Just seemed like too much FAIL.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
Nice review Chad! I think I will pass on this pack. The figures are ok, but I'm only going to collect OT from now on.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
Nice Chad - Thanks!

Got two packs on order from Target.com the other night :)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »
Great review.  My Target actually has this set and the other two packs of "collector's specials" right now.  If they are still there come Thursday, I'll be a buying fool!

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
Nice review! I have one of these sets in the package for sale if any one wants it. Im looking for $30 but send me a PM.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
Cool, I haven't seen this pack yet (my nearest target is 1 hour and 1/2 away so I don't get out there too, too often).

Some questions:

Maul: any idea if the legs are the same as the SDCC comic pack?  Just wondering as there were a few issues with those and the POA (but nothing major), clearly he isn't teh exact same mold (horns and lack of wrists give that away).  He also clearly is missing the Lightsaber from the comic pack.

Savage is the exact same mold different paint? correct?  Just curious.  Lightsaber doesn't bug me too much as I have a ton of extra maul ones laying around.   

Night sister has t-crotch, and I assume regular knees and wrists, is that correct?

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
I just want the Nightsister, I have no interest or need for the Zabraks :(
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline jaq renaldi

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
I picked this battle pack up and really like it. The Nighsister is the pick of the litter in my opinion. Thanks for the review and pics. Do you have any plans for using these in a custom?

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »
I picked this battle pack up and really like it. The Nighsister is the pick of the litter in my opinion. Thanks for the review and pics. Do you have any plans for using these in a custom?
I am thinking about it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
Finally got a review button made for the front page for this.