Author Topic: do definitives have to be customized?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
do definitives have to be customized?
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:59:03 AM »
My pal segentt says you can make a "definitive" general grievous by combining two different stock ones(though he wasn't sure which ones).

This got me thinking, in your opinion which figure is the definitive of a given character, and can it really be a stock figure?

I have a greedo that spuda customized, he works for me, he's super articulated, a great likeness and if I hadn't scratch his leg paint, he'd be perfect.

So what do you think?  What is the definiitve han, luke, amidala, or chewie and what factors go into it?  Likeness, articulation, coolness?  limited number of figures available?

For example, I think the all metal boba is pretty sweet, but for me, the evolutions boba is definitive.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
Re: do definitives have to be customized?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
you guys are kiling me, :)

slow.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:10 PM »
That's an interesting question.  I'll have to think on that one.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:04:45 AM »
personally I think you have to have a mix of articulation and sculpt. I still do not think there is any definitive figure yet. I think eventually you will see the wrist articulation on the Legacy figs and then we will be very close.  I know one thing, if someone doesn't do a 3D rendering of Mark Hammil they are nuts. The face renderings we have seen of him are just downright awful. I think Harrison Ford and Carrie Fischer are right on, but as technology improves I think we are gonna just keep seeing improvements.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:53:27 PM »
OMG you scratched greedo!?  poor greedo... do you need him to get fixed up? let me know next time your in murray and i'll see what I can do.  of course... dawn is the one who expertly mixed the paint for that guy! lol...

how the crap did you manage to scratch him btw?  was it on the area that was sculpted?

as far as the question you posed.... the only good figure is a custom figure in my mind anymore... there is hardly a single stock hasbro figure that I look at and say "oh yeah, that's it"....  at least not with sw...

I guess though, that's my "why can't it do the splits?" mentality with the articulation...  thus the reasons for super articulating greedo. 

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »
Hasbro apparently always manages to goof up a percentage of a figure. On one hand, you've got this killer articulated, perfectly sculpted, naturally soft goods wearing Jedi with LED lightsaber, which unfortunately suffers from a paint job that looks like a toddler applied it with finger paint.

But Hasbro's getting better at getting near the definitive mark, it's just they keep making these in between releases that just don't cut it, you know.

But to answer your question: no, imho a definitve version of a figure shouldn't need customizing. A definitve version is 100% perfect  :)

Just my 2 cents.

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »
I would say no definitives are by defenition the best version so they would not have to be customized, as all the elements would be there already. Now if you took a definitive version and made a whole diffrent charecter then I guess you could, really a question with many possible answers all of which would be right so its your call really

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:53:25 AM »
I think the vintage '04 Chewbacca was about perfect as he was.   Don't have the VOTC Han but he looks like he's that good too.  and the 08/09 crazy wizard Ben Kenobi is every bit as definitive as Chewbacca IMO.

beyond them, I don't think there's been totally ideal definitive versions of anyone else straight out of package.   

I love the 2007 ANH Vader but his capes were thin, crappy, see through and need to be customized.   No definitive versions of any Leia in any movie outfits has been released yet.  X-Wing Luke is the closest to perfect they've gotten for him but that's flawed in many ways too, all is his ANH versions blow and that new Death Star II Luke is a joke.  R2-D2 they're almost there on, maybe the Resurgence of the Jedi version will be MAYBE.  Endor C-3PO with the knees was almost good enough until the Clone Wars version came out last year and kicked its ass on articulation but he doesn't work with the movie realistic figures so they rendered eachother obselete.   No sign of a definitive Lando Calrissian on the horison anytime soon, they miss the mark EVERY TIME with him.   Grand Moff Tarkin is in severe need of a modern great update but who knows when that will happen, if ever.   And every Han since 2004 has been crap in way or another, especially that Endor version from '06, yuck.    Yoda?  HAHAH, they'll never ever get him right and at this point I'm burnt out on him anyway so I don't even care if they ever make a perfect version of him.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:09:57 AM »
It sounds like you have quite the vintage figure knowledge, NFC. You and Wayne should get together.

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »
It sounds like you have quite the vintage figure knowledge, NFC. You and Wayne should get together.
I'm a true blue geek, what can I say?    ;D

Offline Clone_General_1977

• Commander
  • "We're Airborne, We're Meant To Be Surrounded"
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »
I don't know, I think they should.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »

Sorry, you can say sorry, :D

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 06:08:40 PM »

Sorry, you can say sorry, :D
never, never, never ever would I apologize for it, I'm damn proud of it