Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 42290 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Hunting
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 03:23:32 AM »
Went hunting at my MD spot last evening and came home without an arrow launch again. I did have multiple oppurtunities on small bucks and does, but still waiting on a decent racked buck. I don't know how much longer  I will wait till I see if I can fletch one. It is starting to get a bit cooler now, the leaves are turning, and the only other I need to officially make it fall is the sound of the dehydrator filling the house with the smell of jerky marinade. Here in about another two weeks it will be time for MD early muzzleloader season so I hope to get out then too. Last year I had a close call with a huge running buck that I hope to get back on. I haven't heard of anyone getting him so I am gonna take a peek and see if he might still be there.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
MMMMMMMM, Tamer's Jerkey. ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 09:14:15 AM »
Well Clint I get to make the trip to the grocery store for soy sauce and brown sugar after all. I was able to get out of work and head up to my MD spot and even though it was late look what I came home with;

As you can see I had a helper when I got home. She is sure gonna be my little hunting buddy. That got me about as excited as the harvest. She pitched a fit when momma took her in to get ready for bed. I am hoping to fuel that love of hunting and the outdoors. So far so good. Speaking of excitement, I got so excited I couldn't pull my bow back till I calmed down a bit. He wasn't a monster by any stretch, but it was the first racked buck I have seen while hunting so he got my blood pressure up. I made a perfect shot on him and he was down and out in seconds. I love a trailing job like that!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:16:11 AM by Tamer »

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 03:11:36 AM »
Nice to see mate, looks a good size too....and yes cultivate the helper there, she'll want to help her dad more and more if nudged gently......

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 04:27:38 AM »
Nice to see mate, looks a good size too....and yes cultivate the helper there, she'll want to help her dad more and more if nudged gently......

I hear you Greg. I hope to see some shots of you and your little helper sometime when you get out into the wilds for some of your hunts. I love this time of year!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
Nice buck there buddy! I'll bet you were excited. Yes the little one is a fisherman and soon to become the hunter by the looks of it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 04:53:21 AM »
Nice buck there buddy! I'll bet you were excited. Yes the little one is a fisherman and soon to become the hunter by the looks of it.

That she is Clint. Last night I went outside to rake her a pile of leaves to play in and she actually asked to go down and sit in daddy's blind so she could go hunting. Needless to say I dropped the rake and we sat in my blind for about twenty minutes. I actually had to coax her to come out of it so I could get her ready for bed. Like I said, I am not trying to push her at all and she is just asking to do this stuff on her own. I am about ready to pinch myself.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 06:01:40 PM »
Well I didn't get any hunting in as I was doing some yard work, but I did finally manage to get my new feeder up and running. I finally just decided to make it myself. I bought a fifty five gallon barrell, cut a hole in the bottom of it, attached a feeder and some large legs and I wish I had done this years ago. I was able to get everything set up for under fifty bucks too while in the stores the same type of feeder would have cost me over two hundred bucks. It really seems to work twice as nice as my old one which I thankfully retired yesterday.  I was also able to get the venison done up and boy that jerky is good. 

I was also able to get some time in this morning shooting my muzzleloader. My first shot was horrible for some reason, but was able to hit the bull three times after that so I felt pretty good. My hunting partner, who is always the better shot, had a horrible time with his smokepole and he started messing with the scope. He finally after repeated shots had me shoot and I was able to hit the bull with it too. Oh, all these shots were a hundred or more yards with muzzleloaders. It is amazing what range those guns have now. I remember starting off with the traditional one and if you could group within a few inches at fifty yards you thought you were doing good. I am also glad to be taking a few days off from work at the end of the week for the early MD muzzleloader season. It is one of the few times my friend and I get a chance to go out and chase the whitetails. I am must hoping he has enough confidence in his gun now to be able to shoot ok. It was sure funny, I have seen this guy make 1000 yard shots, no lie, and hit what he aims at. I feel shooting is like driving meaning never drive or shoot angry. I think he got made with this first shot and then it went downhill from there.  Anyhow, I will be in the woods the later part of this week trying to fill up the freezer a bit more. I did see some great sign coming out of the area I generally hunt. 

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »
You sure can get some range out of those smoke-poles. You must have yanked the trigger on that first shot instead of squeezed.  Dad used to shoot muzzleloaders in state competitions all the time. I wonder if he could make a long shot like that?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »
I have a father in law who shoots his muzzleloader open sights and I wouldn't take him on with the one with the scope I have on it.  You do any shooting Clint?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 04:48:42 PM »
I used to when I was younger buddy, I would even place at some of dad's competition.  That is one of those hobbies that seems to have vanished since I became an Ironworker. Kind of like the guitar playing.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »
Nice buck there Shawn, man I wish I would some day get one that size in the crosshairs, hasn't happened yet.  Will be trying my hand for the first time at turkey hunting next weekend.  We will see what happens on the that adventure.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 04:13:22 AM »
Thanks Chad. That was a nice one for me with a bow. Wait till you see the pics of the one I got with my smokepole on Friday. I just got back this morning and my buddies were the ones with the digital camera, but he was pretty nice. I was torn trying to figure out whether to get a skull mount or a shoulder one. Money issues helped me decide though. I will be sure to put the pics up when I get em sent to me, my hunting partner who let me in on his "honey hole" will be sure to send em to me early this week. I am telling you this was a stud buck. His rack wasn't the monster type, but I would say the deer went 180 lbs. which for us here is great. It would be about the size of one of your big does Chad, but man did I get excited.

As for your turkey hunting, I am excited to hear how it went. Ours comes in next weekend and with the luck I seem to be having, I may just go try that too.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »
Here is the proof to back up my story. This was just a stud of a deer. We aged him at only 2 and 1/2 years old by his teeth. I would have loved to have seen what he would have looked like in about three or four more  years, but I still am tickled I got him.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »
Nice one Tamer! Is that a white tail or a muley?