Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 5/13/24  (Read 252570 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/17/22
« Reply #1170 on: March 28, 2022, 02:30:16 AM »
Nice, I will go share this.

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
    • Star Wars: Customs for the Kid
Re: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/17/22
« Reply #1171 on: April 29, 2022, 06:20:20 AM »
Three new customs made from kits available for purchase.

"THE PHANTOM MENACE" ROLO DROID painted by Elias

The Recon-PK series droids, colloquially known as rolo-droids or R-PKs, were an intelligence-gathering droid series developed by Naftrat Odarr of Cybot Galactica. A modified version of the standard PK-series worker droid, the Recon-PK had its locomotion altered, replacing the original's bipedal format with a single wheel. Also modified was the makeup of the droid's cranial unit, which was packed full of audio/visual sensor equipment.

The Recon-PK soon became popular amongst operatives and mercenaries. Eventually, a batch of the droids was shipped to the planet Tatooine, where they were used by the various Hutt crime lords residing there. The Hutts used them to monitor their slaves, helping to prevent any attempts at escape. The tables were, in time, turned on the Hutts, when the young slave Anakin Skywalker began reprogramming the droids, causing them to turn a blind eye to any new escape attempts.

We made this droid from a kit we purchased from Angry Racoon Miniatures. He has so many cool items in his Etsy store we recommend checking out. We purchased quite a few items so expect to see some more here on the blog.

"THE PHANTOM MENACE"
ROLO DROID (REKON- PK)
painted by Elias

To purchase a resin model from Angry Racoon Miniatures follow the link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AngryRaccoonMinis

IG-11 "NURSE DROID BAG" created by Elias

This is a much needed accessory for our IG-11 droid from TVC. We are shocked he has not been released with a speeder bike to compliment the Nevarro Playset. All it took to expand the playability of the figure was a little sculpt work with some ProCreate and some minor paintwork.

Once completed, we molded the result, and then donated the mold. For those who can't wait, or are afraid that like the Blurrg it will never see the light of day, the opportunity to grab one is an option for you. Rebel Kid Creations is offering casts both painted and unpainted. Grab them while they are still available.

IG-11 "NURSE DROID BAG"
created by Elias

To purchase a backpack from Rebel Kid Creations follow the link: https://rebelkidcreations.bigcartel.com/product/nurse-droid-bag-and-child-cast

THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT "KRRSANTAN" created by Elias

Krrsantan, also known as Black Krrsantan, and nicknamed "Santy," "BK," and "Black K" by Doctor Aphra and "Santo" by Garsa Fwip and Boba Fett, was a male Wookiee bounty hunter whose career spanned from during the rule of the Galactic Empire into the era of the New Republic. Originally escaping his homeworld Kashyyyk and trained by the infamous Xonti Brothers as a gladiator, Krrsantan later became a ferocious bounty hunter. He was regularly hired by the crime lord Jabba the Hutt and at one point fought Obi-Wan Kenobi, receiving a scar from the Jedi Master's lightsaber. During the Galactic Civil War, Darth Vader hired Krrsantan to track down and capture an agent of the Emperor.

Following the death of Jabba and the end of the war, Krrsantan was employed by that late Hutt's cousins, brother and sister crime lords known as the Twins. Their cousin's criminal empire had been taken over by the former bounty hunter Boba Fett, and the Hutts sought Krrsantan's services in wresting control away from the self-appointed Daimyo. Krrsantan attempted to assassinate Fett, but was captured by his forces. Shortly after, the Twins promised to leave Tatooine, and Krrsantan was eventually employed by Boba Fett. As part of Fett's forces, he participated in a battle against the Pyke Syndicate, which resulted in the Fett gotra's victory.

All it took to create this action figure was the body of a 3.75" scale Black Series Merumeru action figure, a headsculpt and armor kit designed by SKYLU3D, and blaster rifle sold by Outer Rim Traders. First I cleaned out the joints on the Merumeru to eliminate paint rub, then I based the figure out in black and dry brushed in some highlights. After I primed the accessories in brown paint and dry brushed in the gold, and followed that up with a wash. Once the accessories were fully painted and weathered, I called the Krrsantan action figure complete!

Highly recommend picking up these parts from Outer Rim Traders if you are an impatient for a release from Hasbro!

"THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT"
KRRSANTAN
created by Elias

To purchase a Krrsantan kit from Outer Rim Traders follow the link: https://www.outerrimtraders.com/products
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:23:24 AM by Elias »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 4/29/22
« Reply #1172 on: April 29, 2022, 10:42:12 PM »
Really nice builds. Thanks for tips on kits for these builds. Your painting is amazing.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #1173 on: May 01, 2022, 05:34:42 AM »
Wow, these are amazing works of art Elias!

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #1174 on: June 20, 2022, 02:01:33 PM »
Elias is still at it. Here are some of his latest. Now that he is so busy with commissions, I have to be his hype man.

DIN DJARIN
"THE BOUNTY - CHROME EDITION"
created by Elias

"DARK DISCIPLE"
ASSAJ VENTRESS & QUINLAN VOS
created by ELIAS

When Eiias took these pictures he forgot to show off all the fine details at the back of these figures. Once my phone charges I am going to take my own pictures to show off my favorite parts of these figures. I'll post them on the blog when I get it all together,

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 6/20/22
« Reply #1175 on: June 20, 2022, 10:45:04 PM »
Those are most outstanding. What an opportunity to be a proud dad! I love the accessories for Assaj. The pair lookd absolutely brilliant, and Din looks really good, too.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #1176 on: June 22, 2022, 05:52:44 AM »
Wow, great update.

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1177 on: July 30, 2022, 03:59:00 AM »
3.75" "STAR WARS REBELS (SEASON 3 & 4)" KANAN JARRUS custom action figure created by Customs for the Kid

To celebrate 12 years of blogging, Darth Daddy picked up the sculpting tools and started a new figure after 2 years away from the hobby. Dad announced his retirement from the blog on our 10-year anniversary just before he had surgery performed on both of his eyes to treat a rare degenerative eye condition he developed. The surgery was successful but it took about a full year for his eyes to heal post surgery.

While Dad definitely expressed that he missed making custom figures, he spent the year after his recovery searching for a different job to facilitate some big changes he had been hoping to make. Well,  Dad landed a more than satisfactory upgrade to his former employment and spent a little free time returning to one of his favorite pastimes.

Dad thought that making a 1/18 scale "Star Wars Rebels" Kanan Jarrus from Season 3 and 4 would be a fitting project to take on for our 12-year anniversary celebration. To make Kanan, Dad used TVC Young Han Solo from the "Solo: A Star Wars Story" film as his base for the figure. He removed the figures jacket, sanded down the original figure with a Dremel and then re-sculpted the figure to look like Kanan. I helped Dad a bit with the shoulder pads when his new job became a bit too time consuming. After the sculpt was completed, Dad laid down the first few coats of paint onto the figure and then I finished the figure up by doing all the fine detail paintwork so we could reach our anniversary deadline. It was really nice to work on a custom figure together again.

It is important to mention that we used three Kanan Jarrus heads produced by Watto's Scrapyard for our figure both to feature all Kanan's different looks over the course of the last two seasons of the show, and well, to save on time. All three heads painted up beautifully and definitely helped us finish the project faster than if we had to sculpt all three heads from scratch.

We love the final result and I am really excited to have a little help with the blog again now that Dad can make the occasional custom figure here and there.

We're curious to hear what you'd like to see Dad make as far as future projects go. Any requests?

"STAR WARS REBELS"
(SEASON 3 & 4)
KANAN JARRUS
created by Customs for the Kid

AS ALWAYS MORE PICTURES ON THE BLOG:
https://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2022/07/star-wars-rebels-season-3-4-kanan.html

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 7/30/22
« Reply #1178 on: July 30, 2022, 06:21:49 AM »
Now that is one great custom. I wouldn't see the need to really have any other versions of him after this ultimate one. Great work you two. Glad to hear Brian is ok after the surgery too. Eye stuff scares the heck out of me. Glad that all worked out.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #1179 on: August 01, 2022, 01:41:14 PM »
That is most certainly the definitive Kanan. It's really nice that the eyes have healed and the job situation improved. Kanan is a great representative custom for the journey. So col to see the amazing work again.

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1180 on: October 03, 2022, 03:46:04 AM »
This was a custom that only takes minutes to make if you have the right parts on hand. The hardest figure to acquire would be the Han Solo Mudtrooper figure from the exclusive Target multipack from a few years back. We had two on hand and we don't need two 5poa Han Solo action figures so I borrowed the head, mask, cape and weapon from the multi-pack figure and added them to the body of TVC Miggs Mayfeld action figure being sure to borrow the the neck peg from Mayeld's head before inserting it into Han's headsocket. I then glued the ends of the hoses I cut free from the original figure into the already present suggestive circular ports at the top of the back of the Miggs body. After that I cut off the capes long peg like inserts and lined up the cape's edges using krazy glue to hold it them in place.

Last, I used a hand drill at the bottom of the volcano like hole to sink the neck socket a little deeper so the head sits closer to the shoulders. A really easy five minute custom. It actually took me longer to take the pictures and write this post than it took me to make the figure.

TVC "MUDTROOPER"
custom action figure
kitbashed by Darth Daddy

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1181 on: October 03, 2022, 03:49:47 AM »
Emerging from our silence of September, I bring you one of my most challenging projects yet. It has been in the works for quite some time.  Cyborg Admiral Trench.  The first time this version of the character was revealed on screen, I vividly remember joking about how it would be such a difficult; even an impossible project, so when I received an email from a client requesting this beautiful monstrosity, I was quite intimidated.  As it turns out, the desire to make a living is enough motivation for me to meet such a request with a "yes!"  To look at this figure completed is surreal for me after weeks of painstaking attention and unwavering passion. 

The parts I used for this figure were an Orn Free Taa body, the arms of three IG-11s, and the arms of three different Clone Troopers.  His head was completely sculpted by hand in several layers.  I sculpted his cane and electricity effect in Blender and learned a few new modeling tricks along the way!  The weapon that drops down from his forearm was hard sculpted out of dried procreate scraps cut into desired shapes and sanded for that machine smoothness.  The panel on his arm is secured via magnets, and the weapon has a piece of a paperclip hidden inside which allows it to magnetize between the panel and the arm.

This was the most challenging paint application I ever had to manage. The filigree on his robot arms was a challenge unlike any of the other high-detail paint jobs I've ever done. The major challenge was the symmetry I had to achieve on each individual panel, and then match it on the other two arms.  The patterns on the front of his robe were also difficult because of the symmetry required at such a small scale. The dark gray lines cutting through the light gray shapes are as thin as a human hair.

The sculpt on this figure was the ultimate undertaking in my opinion.  Every surface of his body was heavily modified.  The robe on the base figure was cut short and smoothed with the Dremel completely. I had to build out his upper torso in the front and the back in order to create the space to mount six arms as opposed to two. I then had to re-engineer the arms to have two elbow joints and be the correct length. Once his fundamental structures were done, I had several layers of detailing ahead of me. His robotic arm was hand sculpted into perfect cylinders with many panels, layers and grates, and then repeated twice more for his other arms.  The greeblies on his head and collar were hand fabricated out of flat dry procreate that I cut by hand and glued into place. 

With all the effort I put into this figure, I'm a little sad to see it go, but I take solace in the fact that he is going to a loving home.

"THE CLONE WARS"
CYBORG ADMIRAL TRENCH
created by Elias

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 10/03/22
« Reply #1182 on: October 03, 2022, 08:49:16 PM »
Elias, that is simply masterful! I can easily see how this was an incredibly challenging build. You did a great job on the paint applications, they look amazing!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #1183 on: October 04, 2022, 03:13:40 AM »
Man, easily one of the most beautiful works of art I have seen in awhile. Just unbelievable.

Offline Lenny Quinn

• Commander
  • Laugh it up fuzzball.
« Reply #1184 on: October 06, 2022, 09:44:24 AM »
He is just an incredible masterpiece. A true Mona Lisa amongst customs! Bravo!