Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/28/24  (Read 234766 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 10/30/16
« Reply #810 on: October 31, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
Really nice job. The character is an excellent likeness (and a great choice for a "villian" character). Great sculpting and paint apps locations as usual.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 10/30/16
« Reply #811 on: December 02, 2016, 08:30:10 PM »
Thanks everyone!

If only Hasbro provided consumers with a greater selection of super-articulated figures, or at the very least treat their consumer of the Black Series version of the Rey with all three heads for the character to justify the premium prices that they charge.  This version of the desert scavenger is just a simple head swap using the 5POA "Rogue One" Rey (Jakku) head with the Black Series body of Rey.  The combination looks great and the most lengthy part of the customizing process was opening the package for the two figures the parts came from.

One day we would love to see Hasbro return to a larger super-articulated line and ditch the 5POA line all together. Until then, we have to create figures like this Jakku Rey by purchasing two figures to create the one we really want.

SUPER-ARTICULATED
"REY (JAKKU)"
created by Customs for the Kid

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/11/super-articulated-rey-jakku-created-by.html

With Rogue One only two weeks away, we felt it was about time we posted our first custom action figure from the new film.  When deciding what character to make the decision was pretty easy.  Many of you wouldn't know this, but Dad is a huge kung fu aficionado.  We have a few hundred kung fu movies in our home library and Donnie Yen's movies are in abundance.  When we found out he was going to be starring in Rogue One, we knew it was a movie we wanted to see based on his appearance alone.

We still can't believe this character wasn't released in Wal-mart's Black Series line because an action figure of a martial arts master with barely any articulation is just outright sinful.  Well, leave it to the customizers to correct yet another huge oversight by Hasbro.

We tried to use as much of the original figure as we could when putting this figure together.  We kept the head, upper torso and forearms of the original figure as well as the slip over removable cape.  The legs and lower torso we stole from a Vintage Darth Maul.  The shoulders, upper arms, and elbow joints were from a Clone Wars Count Dooku action figure.  Dad created the soft goods from scratch and he used some ProCreate to blend the original forearms to the elbow joints and to recreate the shoulder sash on Chirrut Îmwe's left arm.  Dad used some Midnight Blue paint to match Dooku's arms to the original figure.

Dad also added articulation at the left wrist and on both forearms.  He drilled completely through the shoulders of the torso and added a cylinder of plastic with some holes drilled in at the end to attach the shoulder joints to the sockets that were originally designed for the swivel joints of the once 5POA action figure.  Now the figure is articulated so we can place him into all the dynamic poses we always wished we could.

Chirrut Îmwe was a blind human male, born on the moon Jedha, and a spiritual warrior-monk who was active during the days of the Galactic Empire. Alongside his friend and protector, Baze Malbus, he and other members of a rogue group of Rebels fought in an effort to steal the plans of the first Death Star.

SUPER-ARTICULATED
"CHIRRUT ÎMWE"
created by Darth Daddy

CLICK THE LINK FOR MORE:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/12/super-articulated-chirrut-imwe-created.html

If you are like us, and you really miss the removable thermal detonator from the 2006 Saga Collection Princess Leia Boushh figure well it only takes a quick hand swap to give the newer Black Series version of the character that cool touch to give her the look that you want. 

We even added a silver chain to the new Black Series Chewbacca with improved articulation to update the prisoner version of the figure until we have time to redo the head sculpt so it includes the dog collar.  Stay tuned for the new headsculpt , because it will definitely be coming sometime soon. Until then enjoy the benefits of the swapped out parts to give your current figures that little extra something that makes your collection display that much better.

"Princess Leia Boushh"
Hand Swap
by Customs for the Kid

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/11/princess-leia-boushh-hand-swap-by.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:09:04 AM by Tamer »

Offline Blizzard Force

• Lieutenant
  • The shield will be down in moments.
    • Blizzard Force Customs
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 12/02/16
« Reply #812 on: December 03, 2016, 05:50:48 AM »
What a great update! Even though the Rey is just a simple swap, the end result looks wonderful...and finally a figure where the gloves fit the rest of the outfit... :)

The Chirrut is the figure we'd all rather have, the sculpt is so much better on the new (5POA) figures - only the articulation is lacking...

And last - but not least - a great pair from ROTJ. Simple - but elegant!  :D
BLIZZARD FORCE CUSTOMS on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blizzardforcecustoms/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #813 on: December 03, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
Wow, all kinds of good stuff in  here. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #814 on: December 03, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
WOW they look awesome with articulation.

Ron

Offline Foxtrot Delta

• Commander
« Reply #815 on: December 06, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
nice work on the added articulation Darthdaddy

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #816 on: December 17, 2016, 03:28:56 PM »
Thank you all!  So glad I added articulation to Chirrut Îmwe now that I saw the film. I was a big fan of Rogue One.  Really loved the film!  Highly recommend you all go out to see it.

I was recently commissioned by Jimmy Mac of Rebel Force Radio to create a Clone Wars "Ziro the Hutt" action figure. When I built my second version, I also created a short step-by-step tutorial of the "Ziro the Hutt" build to assist you in making your own version of the character.

I tried to keep the video short to make it more digestible, but if you have any questions, just put them in the comments section and I'll do my best to answer them.

CLONE WARS
"ZIRO THE HUTT"
(Jimmy Mac Commission)

created by Darth Daddy

CHECK OUT THE TUTORIAL VIDEO AND SOME ADDITIONAL PICTURES IN THE LINK:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/12/making-ziro-hutt-with-darth-daddy-of.html
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:07:44 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 12/17/16
« Reply #817 on: December 18, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »
I just saw this on our FB Page and shared it. I appreciate you showing folks how to make one of these. It seems hasbro might never get around to it.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #818 on: December 22, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
WOW! You really nailed this one! Seriously, everything is just right! The mouth is perfect and that seals the deal! Super nice paint work too, Jimmy Mac is going to love this!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #819 on: December 30, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »
Thanks! I can't wait so see what he says when he has it in hand.

Here is another custom from Star Wars Rebels.  This was an action figure of one of the newest villains featured on the Star Wars Rebels animated TV series.  She was created using a Force Unleashed Juno Eclipse action figure with the head and legs of an Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Irina Spalko action figure that were resculpted and modified.

Once we saw her square off against Sabine in the episode Antilles Extraction, we knew we wanted to add her to the Rebels collection.

Arihnda Pryce was a female human who served as governor of the Lothal sector fourteen years after the rise of the Galactic Empire. She was, at times, absent from Lothal, and Minister Maketh Tua would directly govern in her absence.

"Governor Pryce"
created by Darth  Daddy

CHECK OUT THE POST FOR MORE PICS:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/12/star-wars-rebels-governor-pryce-cus.html

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:12:03 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 12/30/16
« Reply #820 on: December 31, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
You can read my comments on the front pages. I also shared your year in review.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #821 on: December 31, 2016, 06:20:25 PM »
Excellent work mate.

Ron

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #822 on: January 02, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »
Really nice updates. The additional articulation on the Rogue One figures is real improvement. I like the Governor Pryce figure, she turned out well.

Offline Foxtrot Delta

• Commander
« Reply #823 on: January 08, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »
Those posters behind the Govenor are AWESOME, did not notice it before but tha facial features on your Rey (Jakku) is right on the money

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #824 on: January 09, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »
Thanks guys!

This is a meaty post.  I've been wrapping up a few WIPs that I had laying around rather then starting a new project. 

Added a soft goods skirt to my SA CW Darth Sidious to make him more screen accurate.

Finally got around to adding a Jawa with a palm leaf fan to my Jabba display.

Just completed my Domino Squad too.  I really wanted to weather them, but I only had one Cut Up action figure, and I only customize duplicate figures. As a result I left the whole group shiny.

I also got around to adding the tattoos on my Cham Syndulla action figure.

My last figure is one that I have been wanting to wrap up a while now.  Originally we were under the impression that all we had to do was make the CW Darth Sidious headcast from our mold, sculpt some hair onto it, and then add it to the Brian's Toys "Jocasta Nu" exclusive action figure. 

While we did do just that, we learned very quickly that there was too much of "Palpatine" in the headsculpt, and we needed to do more to the face sculpt than we had originally anticipated. By the time we finished the figure, we had resculpted the entire head except for her nose.  We sunk in the hollows of her cheeks, accentuated her prominent cheekbones, refashioned her chin to remove the cleft, and make it more pointy to reflect her on screen appearance.  In the end, we couldn't be happier. She looks great on the shelf alongside the other Jedi.  We dedicated this figure to the actress who played Jocasta Nu in the Prequels, Alethea McGrath, who died last February at the age of 96.

We still have quite a bit of WIPs to wrap up but these were the ones we were able to get to over the holiday season.

MORE INFO FOR ALL THESE FIGURES CAN BE LOCATED ON THE BLOG:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/p/customs-for-kid-action-figure-index.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:22:42 AM by Tamer »