Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/28/24  (Read 234243 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/18/15
« Reply #690 on: January 23, 2016, 08:21:54 AM »
Whatever your doing, it is having some amazing results.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/18/15
« Reply #691 on: February 07, 2016, 03:59:22 AM »
Thanks Tamer!

Last night "Customs for the Kid" hosted our first video podcast discussing Hasbro Star Wars action figures and how changes to the product line is affecting Star Wars customizers.  It will most likely be our only podcast, because we're more customizers than podcasters, but our guests have been discussing this issue with us for a long time now, and we all decided to share our thoughts with a broader audience.  Guest list: Sith_fire30, Luke Sprywalker, and Peak-OB1 Custom Creations.

Click the link to view the podcast:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/02/customs-for-kid-presents-left-on-shelf.html

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:26:55 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 2/07/16
« Reply #692 on: February 07, 2016, 05:27:57 AM »
I embedded your video here and on the pages. I am gonna give it a serious watch soon. I have a feeling I know where the conversation will go, but you guys are at the heart of the hobby and no doubt many of us feel the same way.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 2/07/16
« Reply #693 on: March 05, 2016, 05:30:47 AM »
Queen Amidala's loyal protector during the Trade Federation invasion crisis was Captain Panaka. Panaka was often referred to as "the quickest eyes on Naboo" for his attention to detail and selfless dedication to the safety of the Queen. 

To create this super-articulated version of the character, I used the Captain Typho action figure from The Legacy Collection as my base figure.  I borrowed the head and gloves from the original figure and modified the Typho where needed.  Mostly it was the clothing that needed modifying and I was able to do that with a new sculpting medium I started using called ProCreate.  Instead of making the hat removable, I just made the head swappable.  Since I had two Panaka heads, I removed the hat from one, and sculpted in his hair.

SUPER-ARTICULATED
"CAPTAIN PANAKA"
created by Darth Daddy

TO READ THE REST OF THE BLOG POST:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/03/super-articulated-captain-panaka.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:08:34 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/05/16
« Reply #694 on: March 06, 2016, 01:19:02 AM »
Great update. That ProCreate sounds sweet. Off to share.

Update: I did a small amount of digging and found this. It sounds pretty daggone nice folks:

http://amzn.to/1psssLS

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #695 on: March 11, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
A super-articulated Panaka - awesome. Really great job on the figure, your sculpting continues to amaze me.

Offline AjuntaPall

• Captain
  • Thought is the cause of it ALL!
« Reply #696 on: March 11, 2016, 10:30:24 PM »
Great Job Brian!!
THE FORCE is strong with this one...

Roger Roger....

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #697 on: March 13, 2016, 05:55:47 AM »
Thank you all!

Elias painted the bulk of this droid, while I jumped in at the last minute to sharpen up the paint on the yellow markings.  Then we added a cost of sealer to complete the quick repaint of Hasbro's figure.  It is a nice way to bookend the smuggler action figure on the shelf.

This quick project was a nice way to add something special to our Star Wars Rebels collection without devoting a lot of time to making a new figure.

"VIZAGO DROID"
created by Customs for the Kid

CHECK OUT THE POST FOR MORE PICS:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/03/vizago-droid-created-by-customs-for-kid.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:58:15 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/13/16
« Reply #698 on: March 13, 2016, 06:04:01 AM »
I so like that droid. I can remember when there was case after case after case of this wave at my wally worlds (think it had a slave leia with two sets of legs in it too). Of course I liked all the McQuarrie Figs.

Looks perfect to me from what I remember from that episode too. Off to share on the pages.

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #699 on: March 17, 2016, 07:43:39 PM »
Man, that Panaka is so inspiring!  Great job, kudos!!!!!!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2016, 04:06:12 AM »
Thanks so much!

One more Rebels post before we return to some Star Wars characters from the film series. Hasbro's Star Wars Rebels Captain Rex figure looked great, but we knew we wanted to embellish it a bit by increasing the articulation.  Dad took the ball jointed shoulders of a Yarna d'al' Gargan to articulate Rex's elbows and the knees from a Clone Trooper Pilot to get his legs to bend above the boots.  Dad hollowed out Rex's gauntlets and boots to accept the nubs Dad left attached to the ball joints that he glued to Rex's extremities.  Dad then used a styrene rod to create pins to attach to the hands articulating Rex's wrists.  Dad's efforts took an already amazing looking action figure, and made it that much better by increasing the poseability.

At some point, Dad said he is going to give him a proper paint application...

STAR WARS REBELS
"CAPTAIN REX"
created by Darth Daddy

CHECK OUT THE BLOG FOR MORE INFO:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/03/star-wars-rebels-captain-rex-created-by.html

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:36:42 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/20/16
« Reply #701 on: March 20, 2016, 05:41:14 AM »
Looks great. Sure wish they would do this to all the figures, but I guess its no use to get the whining started. Off to share.

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #702 on: March 24, 2016, 02:13:50 AM »
Great looking Captain Panaka, Vizago's green droid, and especially Rebels Captain Rex!
I too want to add articulation to a Rebels Rex figure, that is if I could ever find one without paying a small fortune for one. Great job on your Rebels Rex though!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #703 on: April 01, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »
Great looking Captain Panaka, Vizago's green droid, and especially Rebels Captain Rex!
I too want to add articulation to a Rebels Rex figure, that is if I could ever find one without paying a small fortune for one. Great job on your Rebels Rex though!

Thanks Kevin! I owe a big thanks to you for help in creating my latest custom action figure!

For the month of April, Customs for the Kid will be posting a new Cantina custom every week for the next five weeks.  The first in the lineup is Atheloe. Now Atheloe goes my a number of names, The Colonel, Solomahal, and the Hare Mouse.  The head was a cast produced by I-AM-BOBA-FETT from Riff Valley Designs and was purchased through Facebook.  I laid synthetic hair onto the headcast where his moustache was located to give the figure a special touch. I stole some hair off of one of Elias' old stuffed animals to make it happen.

The jacket was handcrafted and the body of the figure was a 100% sculpted.  I used the Rancor Keeper body as my base figure, sanded it down and sculpted onto what remained.  I stained and modified the jacket from a Black Series Endor Han Solo. First I cut the jacket shorter, and then I created pockets from the scraps left behind.  I tried to keep the stitching wherever I could to give it a more finished look.

Atheloe was a male Lutrillian who lived during the Galactic Civil War. He was present in Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina on the day that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker chartered Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon for passage to Alderaanin 0 BBY. Atheloe had a seat in front of the entrance and close to the bar. Atheloe is not very visible, and he receives little screen time, only briefly visible sitting near a pillar directly in front of the cantina entrance. Atheloe is more prominently featured in a rough cut of the cantina sequence.

"ATHELOE aka THE COLONEL"
created by Darth Daddy

CHECK OUT THE BLOG FOR MORE PICTURES:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/04/atheloe-aka-colonel-created-by-darth.html

WE ALSO UPDATED THE BLOG's BANNER IMAGE THIS WEEK:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:57:23 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 4/01/16
« Reply #704 on: April 02, 2016, 06:37:24 AM »
Looks perfect to me Brian. Flawless victory (does this date me?). Anyhow, great news on the new custom each week for the next five weeks too. Off to share.