Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/28/24  (Read 236457 times)

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 11/21/15
« Reply #660 on: December 08, 2015, 05:18:08 AM »
Thanks everyone.  It was a really fun project.  I ended up keeping the Hedji and the Jaxxon figures for Elias' collection, but gave away the rest of the figures that I had made.  I now have a physical copy of the CD in hand and it was a pretty cool experience making Star Wars custom action figures for a band's album cover.  Never in a million years did I think this activity would have lead to that road.  It just shows that what we post in these forums can easily get massive exposure one day.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #661 on: December 08, 2015, 05:21:31 AM »
Nothing too intensive needed to create this custom action figure.  In fact, you can probably make this figure in less than a minute.  All you need is the new Black Series Kylo Ren figure that is exclusive to Wal-mart and the head and plastic cloak from the Armor-Up Kylo Ren action figure. With a few seconds of drilling to expand the hole on the Armor-Up head, you can do the head swap needed to make this figure. I'm sure a lot of people will be doing this quick modification if they haven't already.  The cost for the parts can be a little pricey, but the results are too good to not give it a go!

We personally feel that the Armor-Up parts that we used here should have already been included with this particular Black Series action figure.  When one considers the steep price tag, $15.83 on this so-called "collector's series" action figure, it's easy to call poor form on Hasbro's part for not following proper etiquette when not including all the proper accessories for a figure. Even more so when the parts were already manufactured.  We never collected their 6" Black Series line for this very reason.  Hasbro is a company cutting corners where they shouldn't. Collectors are frustrated. Consumers who used to spend thousands of dollars a year are walking away in droves. 

Super-Articulated
Unhooded "Kylo Ren"
created by Darth Daddy

More a statement piece than a custom action figure post, but if you want to see more pictures of this figure, there are plenty more over at the blog:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2015/12/super-articulated-unhooded-kylo-ren.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:54:25 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 12/08/15
« Reply #662 on: December 09, 2015, 03:58:47 AM »
It does look good. Off to share.

Offline Havoc_Hobby

• Havoc
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #663 on: December 09, 2015, 07:54:47 AM »
It looks great with those new parts added on. Definite improvement over the standard Walmart ones.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #664 on: December 09, 2015, 09:08:03 AM »
In fact, you can probably make this figure in less than a minute.  All you need is the new Black Series Kylo Ren figure that is exclusive to Wal-mart and the head and plastic cloak from the Armor-Up Kylo Ren action figure. With a few seconds of drilling to expand the hole on the Armor-Up head, you can do the head swap needed to make this figure.

We personally feel that the Armor-Up parts that we used here should have already been included with this particular Black Series action figure.  When one considers the steep price tag, $15.83 on this so-called "collector's series" action figure, it's easy to call poor form on Hasbro's part for not following proper etiquette when not including all the proper accessories for a figure. Even more so when the parts were already manufactured.  We never collected their 6" Black Series line for this very reason.  Hasbro is a company cutting corners where they shouldn't. Collectors are frustrated. Consumers who used to spend thousands of dollars a year are walking away in droves. 

Thanks for this DD.  Excellent upgrade which should save me a lot of effort. I like easy.

I will give it a go.  I read JTA's RDR on him, but I guess I glanced over the part about the one piece head, hood and shawl.  I was planning on cutting the head free, and then doing some sculpting, but while your solution will cost $15, I'm sure my time and frustration is worth at least that much.  Now all I have to do is find the exclusive armor up figure.  As it is, it took four weeks of early, early morning runs to Wally to finally score. SA 3.75 Kylo and 3 FO Stormies on Monday.  Is it really worth it?

I tend to save editorials for the blogs, but I totally agree with your second paragraph.  While it is within my abilities to tighten up paint apps and make modifications to the figures, why should I have to when I'm shelling out $13 a $14 for a 4 inch plastic toy.  For that price, they should be as close to perfect as a manufacturer can make them.  Hasbro has obviously lost their pride.

Your statement really hit home with me.  I started out buying these for the kids and then I realized how much I enjoyed collecting these wondrous realistic sculptures for myself.  Between the cost, the deteriorating quality of the product and the time wasted trying to find Hasbro's poorly distributed product, I will soon be joining the droves that are walking away.

Again, excellent upgrade. 

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #665 on: December 13, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
That was a great tip to really improve the figure. Thanks for sharing.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #666 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:52 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Here is my first figure of 2016!

So It has been a few weeks since The Force Awakens has been released in theaters, and here at home we are already looking ahead.  Already we are missing Star Wars Rebels and can't wait until its return this January.  After a very successful first half of their second season, we can't wait to see what is in store for us in the last half.  The other night we started to watch the Stealth Strike episode and shortly after I had the itch to get a certain project done that I had been putting off since Season One, make Chopper in Imperial disguise.  Ever since he appeared this way in the Rebel Resolve episode I knew I wanted to make this version of Chopper.  Just a simple repaint of the retail release, there wasn't anything complicated to make this one.  Elias was really pleased with the results and was more than happy to add him to his Rebels shelf.

"CHOPPER DISGUISED AS AN IMPERIAL DROID"
created by Darth Daddy

CLICK THE LINK FOR MORE IMAGES:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/01/chopper-disguised-as-imperial-droid.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:38:23 AM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/05/15
« Reply #667 on: January 06, 2016, 02:53:16 AM »
Looks good. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #668 on: January 06, 2016, 04:50:17 AM »
Great work mate it's simple but really looks great.

Ron

Offline koth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #669 on: January 06, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
Nice job. Love it!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #670 on: January 08, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
Thanks so much!

In The Clone Wars first season episode Trespass, Anakin and Obi-Wan were caught in the middle of an escalating conflict between the furry territorial inhabitants of a desolate ice world and the greedy representatives of a nearby moon while investigating the disappearance of a clone security force.  The Talz species was first introduced in A New Hope in the iconic Cantina bar scene with the character of bar patron Muftak.  We loved that this species was brought back for an educational episode about the perils of advocating ethnocentrism.  So much so, that we wanted to pay tribute to the episode by immortalizing one of the Talz characters in plastic. 

Medcha Wanto was a Talz who was scribe to the Talz chieftain Thi-Sen.  Hasbro produced an action figure of Thi-Sen that was one of the best figures we got from The Clone Wars action figure line. With removable accessories, the action figure gave consumers the ability to army build all the Talz warriors that they liked.

Good friend and Star Wars customizer, Peak-OB1 had the brilliant idea of adding accessories to the base figure to create the Medcha Wanto action figure.  To do so he fabricated a headdress and removable clothing to create the character.  We really admired his brilliance, and were very thankful when he let us borrow his sculpted headdress to mold and cast to make one of our own.  The casting process wasn't perfect (air bubbles are the enemy) so I had to make a few adjustments to his original sculpt to repair the cast that was made.  After that I made a sculpt of his clothing and parchment from Green stuff to complete the figure.  Like Peak-OB1 Custom Creations, I made the accessories removable. We really liked how the figure came out!

"Medcha Wanto"
created by Darth Daddy

CLICK THE LINK FOR MORE IMAGES: http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2016/01/medcha-wanto-created-by-darth-daddy.html

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/08/15
« Reply #671 on: January 09, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »
Great job! He turned out really well.

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #672 on: January 09, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »
Sweet figure, I got a Talz in my line up this year! I going try using some faux fur! Figure cross!

Offline AjuntaPall

• Captain
  • Thought is the cause of it ALL!
« Reply #673 on: January 09, 2016, 11:59:23 PM »
Awesome, love the thalz and that episode! I also like that chopper in Imperial disguise great job. Cant wait for rebels to return.
THE FORCE is strong with this one...

Roger Roger....

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #674 on: January 10, 2016, 05:24:27 AM »
Very nice. I remember that episode. It has been awhile since I have seen it. Off to share.