Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/28/24  (Read 234248 times)

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 2/20/14
« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2014, 05:39:55 AM »
I first saw this action figure on the Facebook page of Star Wars customizer Wraithnine.  It was his friend Jay Butterworth's Bo Katan custom, and the artist was selling the figure.  Jay Butterworth was new to customizing and he hadn't yet learned to tackle the issue of paint rub on the articulating joints.  He sold me the figure under the premise that I would fix the paint rub for him.  I used my Dremel to reduce the joints, added needed sculpting to the helmet and lower torso that was absent, created a head sculpt of Bo Katan without her helmet on, and added all the necessary paint applications.

Bo Katan is a character that really needed to be released in action figure form.  She was an immediate fan favorite from The Clone Wars TV series. Unfortunately, it appears that she won't be released any time soon, if at all, even though she has a huge fan following.  Especially among the fangirls.  Hopefully one day we'll see Bo Katan on pegs, but at this point in time, making your own is probably your only chance to have her in your Clone Wars action figure collection.

Now I didn't do the build on this figure, so you'll have to bare with me.  I will do my best to cover the recipe.  The lower legs are from the Clone Wars Death Watch Mandalorian Commando action figure, the thighs are from the Clone Wars Aurra Sing action figure but have been modified with my Dremel to remove some strapping, the torso was from an Isabet Reau action figure with sculpting on the lower part of her armor under the belt, also swapped out the belt to make it more screen accurate. Last, I sculpted the hair and headband onto a Clone Wars Asajj Ventress action figure for Bo Katan when her helmet is off.  I used Green Stuff to make the hair so it would be durable.  I wouldn't recommend Fixit for sculpting the hair.  It is too brittle for this task.  I'm not sure what helmet was used, but Jay did the sculpting around the eyes. I did the sculpting along the bottom of the helmet.

Hope this post inspires more versions of this character in action figure form.  This collaboration was loads of fun!

BO KATAN
created by Darth Daddy & Jay Butterworth

Lots more pics over at the blog:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2014/02/bo-katan-created-by-darth-daddy-jay.html?spref=fb

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:21:43 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 2/23/14
« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2014, 06:15:11 AM »
Wow! This is just spot on with the character. Nice work Brian and to Jay and Jay! Off to share. Gonna be a shame to see them never make this figure. Wouldn't it be cool to see Hasbro do a blast from the past line and release about five to six characters a year from previous lines (like TCW) that didn't see the light of day? Think how releasing a quick line of TCW Characters around the new series release on March 7th would have sold?

Offline clonecommanderjay

• another clonecommanderjay custom
  • Ensign
  • Mando'ad draar digu
« Reply #407 on: February 23, 2014, 07:00:37 AM »
You've  improved my custom so much Brian she looks awesome something I could of never done glad it's gone to a good home

Mando'ad draar digu

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #408 on: February 23, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
Awesome job DD!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #409 on: February 23, 2014, 09:32:14 PM »
Excellent sculpt work on the face.  How did you sculpt the helmet?
Green stuff / Kneadite is the best thing for sculpting hair IMO.
Bo Katan is so on my TCW do-do list.

Offline Jon Dough

• Cadet
« Reply #410 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:59 PM »
Kudos to everyone involved in making this figure!
Excellent work!

JD

Offline poke_wars

• Cadet
« Reply #411 on: February 24, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
Awesome, your work is just amazing  0//

Offline BugSkirt

• Lieutenant
    • BugSkirt's Workshop
« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »
This is definitely a custom I wished I owned.  The face is great.  The paints are nice.  I haven't seen many Bo Katan customs but this version is great.  Hasbro really missed a golden opportunity to make money on this character.  Bo is one of my favorite CW characters--probably in the top 5.  Definitely top 5 for deserving an action figure.  Thanks for posting it.   
We had 5 POA in '78...

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #413 on: February 25, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »
Does that  helmet fit over her head or is it a separate "head".

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #414 on: February 25, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »
Excellent sculpt work on the face.  How did you sculpt the helmet?
Green stuff / Kneadite is the best thing for sculpting hair IMO.
Bo Katan is so on my TCW do-do list.

I did use Green stuff for her hair, but Fixit on the helmet :)

Does that  helmet fit over her head or is it a separate "head".

Thanks everyone for all the complimentary feedback.  It is two separate heads.  When I bought the figure, it only came with the helmet.  I made the unhelmeted headsculpt to complement it.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:51:39 AM by darthdaddy »

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #415 on: March 06, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »
This is such a great figure! That head sculpt and proper helmet is just stunning. Top shelf work!

Offline kelcken

• Lieutenant
« Reply #416 on: March 06, 2014, 09:45:43 PM »
Saw this after I posted my updated Bo Katan, and wow. I love the paint job on this, and that head sculpt is just incredible. Looks great!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #417 on: March 07, 2014, 03:16:23 AM »
Thanks guys!

Taken from the blog:

To commemorate the release of "The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions" on Netflix, Dad wanted to do something special for all the fans that fought so hard for us to see these last remaining episodes of "The Clone Wars" TV series with our "Save the Clone Wars" campaign.  Dad thought it would be fun to make an action figure of the architect of the Clone Wars.  The master puppeteer himself, Chancellor Palpatine.  Unfortunately, this action figure was never made.  Probably because there were some serious fears of peg warming, but hardcore Clone Wars fans all wanted to add this figure to their collections.

To create the action figure, Dad committed a little Star Wars collector sacrilege.  He defaced one of the rarest and most sought after Clone Wars action figures ever made.....that's right, Darth Sidious.  For a few years now, Dad and Star Wars customizer, Peakob1, have been wondering just what was under that plastic hood of Darth Sidious, but both of them had no interest in taking a chance at ruining the rarest action figure in their Clone Wars collection.  Instead they just twisted the action figure at numerous different angles trying to see just how much of Palpatine's headsculpt was hidden under there.  

That was, until last week, when Dad was able to acquire a second Darth Sidious action figure.  He called Peakob1 on the phone, immediately took out his heat gun, pointed it at the head of the Darth Sidious action figure, waited for the glue holding the head to the hood to soften, and when it released, Dad found a near perfect headsculpt of Palpatine under the hood minus Palpatine's hair.

Dad knew that he wanted to make more than one version of Palpatine, but with just one head, he had to do some molding and casting to get the job done.   This is where things got dicey.  Using the head to make the mold was easy.  The hard part was having a neck post to use with the head with if he wanted that head on another body.   Out came the X-acto knife and off came the neck post.  Dad molded the head and the neck post, and fortunately all the casts came out extremely well.

Last, Dad sculpted the hair onto the Palpatine head casts with Aves Fixit, accounting for the variations in the hairstyles for Palpatine along the Clone Wars timeline.  Modified the arms on the ROTS Palpatine body with the red clothing, and finally painted the head casts to complete the figures.  

The best part is, now we have an unlimited supply of Clone Wars Palpatine heads.  Before anyone goes damaging any more Clone Wars Darth Sidious action figures trying to recreate what we've done here, send me a message at customsforthekid@gmail.com.  We have a mold for this head.

I even made one of my own version of Chancellor Palpatine after Dad finished.  Dad says mine has the best paint applications.  Even better than his,

Hope you all enjoy "The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions" if you're watching today!

"CLONE WARS
CHANCELLOR PALPATINE"
created by Darth Daddy

"CLONE WARS
CHANCELLOR PALPATINE"
created by Elias

Click the link for the full post:

http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2014/03/clone-wars-chancellor-palpatine-created.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:11:47 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/07/14
« Reply #418 on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:29 AM »
Now that is a great way to celebrate the release of these new episodes. Looks great Brian. Off to share.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/07/14
« Reply #419 on: March 07, 2014, 07:57:55 AM »
That is an amazing head sculpt!  

I know at least 2 guys who frequent JTA who would pay dearly for that head.
Will you be selling them?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:05:55 AM by Sjefke »