Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/28/24  (Read 237055 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 11/02/13
« Reply #345 on: November 03, 2013, 02:21:53 AM »
I saw the pics on my phone, but seeing them on my PC makes those two look even more impressive. I love the amount of detail you've put in both of them, Brian. They both look spot on and I simply can't wait to have them in hand!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 11/02/13
« Reply #346 on: November 08, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
Thanks everyone! Those movies definitely bring back some fond memories.  From both my own childhood and now Elias' as well.  Remco, I hope they look even cooler in person.

Here's a new figure from Elias:

"Build A Droid C-3PO"
created by Elias

Check the link for the full post:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2013/11/custom-build-droid-c-3po-created-by.html

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 11/08/13
« Reply #347 on: November 09, 2013, 04:51:26 AM »
Looks great Elias. I really enjoyed your take on TESB 3PO. Off to share.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #348 on: November 09, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
I received my two Ewoks last Friday. I. Am. Blown. Away! I took some high def pics and posted them on G+ and Facebook. I can't thank you enough, Brian! I know we say this often, but this time it's more true than ever: Hasbro.... open your eyes!

These are hands down the best damn Ewoks I have ever seen.

Enjoy these pictures and be sure to check out the detailed shots of Kaink's staffs and Chukha Trok's gear!

Kaink and Chukha Trok by Darth Daddy

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #349 on: November 09, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »
Awesome looking C3-P0 mate.

Ron

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Love the 3PO and the furballs.
Were the Ewoks from a speific scene or are they your own concepts?  I can't place them.
What kind of soft goods did you use?
What technique and paint did you use as a base coat on C-3PO?  The weathering is great!

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
    • Star Wars: Customs for the Kid
« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
Thanks Ron.  Thanks Sjefke. 

Those Ewoks are from a TV special my Dad grew up with as a kid called Caravan of Courage.  You can look them up on Wookieepedia.  My dad used some fake suede like material to make the soft goods.  I know he added gloss sealer to it to give a more leather look.  I even saw him use washes and also drybrush the fabric when the gloss sealer dried to weather it. 

For my C-3PO,  Dad told me to drybrush him with a black primer base coat first.  I then used Humbrol Acrylic Gold #16.  It was really clumpy when we first opened it.  We had to use a lot of Flow Improver to make it usable.  I dry brushed the paint onto a U-3PO B.A.D. action figure.  When I was done drybrushing, Dad had me add a wash with Citadel's Delvan Mud.  I used a gloss coat that I partially watered down to seal him. Oh yeah.  Originally when I painted him, some of my paint was too thick and uneven so Dad had me use a nail file to lightly sand his chest so my paint application would have a more smooth appearance.  I wasn't taking enough paint off on the paper towel.  The nail file saved the day.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
Great 3-PO

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »
Awesome looking C3-P0! I want to make one like this too!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2013, 07:31:34 AM »
Elias wanted to communicate his thanks to everyone who commented on his C-3PO.

Here are two figures that I just made for my 4 year old nephew.  He was watching Ewoks: The Battle for Endor about 3-4 times a day for weeks on end.  My sister wanted to kill me.

For his last birthday, we gave him the entire Star Wars video library complete with all the films, the Clone Wars TV episodes, and the old Ewok movies that were made for television when I was a little kid.

When we visited his house this summer, we brought him the new Wicket action figure from the Vintage collection and the Ewok Battle Pack that was exclusive to Toys R' Us.  While we were visiting for the week, my nephew saw us make custom action figures for the blog and was really impressed with our ability to make our own toys.  So much so, that he asked if we could make him a Noa and a Cindel for Christmas.  Before we left that week, I ordered a Teek action figure to be mailed to his house, and told him to keep an eye on the mailbox around Christmas time.  When we returned home, I started to acquire the fodder we needed to complete his request.  When I started to obtain the fodder, I bought double of everything so that I could make a set for our collection too.

Since time was limited, we only had the chance to make this first set for my nephew, but once the New Year rolls around, we'll most likely make the second set for the home collection as well.  This project was a lot of  fun because it was a real team effort between me and Elias.  To create the action figures, we modified an Anakin Skywalker from Episode I to create the Cindel Towani, and we used a Willrow Hood body and a Henry Jones head from the "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" toy line to make the Noa Briqualon action figure.  I worked on the head sculpts and the soft goods, while Elias worked on creating Noa's staff and painting the figures.  I really liked the way that they both came out and I can't wait to add these two characters to Elias' collection now that I know what needs to be done.  Elias' favorite part of this project was using the Dremel for the first time to sand a wooden chopstick into Noa's staff.  It was his first time working with the tool and he said it was a lot of fun to use.

I hope my nephew enjoys the new toys that we made for him and even more importantly that his dog doesn't eat them.  Let us know what you think.

[size=150]NOA BRIQUALON & CINDEL TOWANI
created by Customs for the Kid
[/size]

[size=150]Click the link for the full post:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2013/11/cindel-towani-noa-briqualon-created-by.html[/size]

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 11/30/13
« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
Oh wow! These turned out great! Serious accuracy achieved with the sculpt work on these 2. I know your nephew is going to flip out when he opens these!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »
I just finished watching the Ewoks - Caravan of courage and Ewoks - The Battle for Endor yesterday with my kids and they loved it. You did an awesome job on the figures and I love all the small details on them.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
I am gonna have to go buy those dvds and watch these two series again. Great stuff Brian. Off to share.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #358 on: December 04, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »
Thanks guys!  Shawn those DVD's can be pretty expensive these days because they are out of print.  Let me know if you want a cheap solution.

Taken from the blog:

Recently JediStyle, one of Dad's all-time favorite customizers, sent him a message, and asked Dad if he could commission him to make a custom Star Wars action figure.   Since Dad was always such a huge fan of his work, Dad immediately asked if they could do a figure swap as payment.

Dad has long admired JediStyle's creative character creations, his ability to apply paint in such a way that the colors REALLY pop, and are expressed with such beautiful contrasts.  JediStyle has a great eye for color and he's one of the best painters in the Star Wars custom action figure community.

I don't have a Star Wars custom created by JediStyle in my collection, and I can't tell you how happy I am that I will soon.

For the figure swap they both agreed to create either a bounty hunter or a Jedi for each other and mail it when they were finished.

Dad didn't feel like he had any good Jedi fodder, at least not at the level to reach his standards.

Which meant that Dad would be making a bounty hunter.  As I saw Dad make this action figure, I kept trying to talk him into letting me have it.  I tried to talk him into just starting a completely new figure for JediStyle.  It didn't work.

At first Dad was going to try and create some crazy alien bounty hunter, but after seeing JediStyle's Mandalorian series, Dad noticed that there were no female Mandalorians on display.  That's when Dad decided that instead of doing an alien bounty hunter, he was going to create a female Mandalorian bounty hunter.

Dad also wanted to make this his first attempt at creating a steam punk action figure.  Dad used metallic paints and healthy amount of dark washes to add the steam punk touches.  The rocket pack contributed well to the look as well.  Dad wanted to keep the figure versatile by keeping the steam punk elements subtle and not too overt.  To do this he made the headpiece removable; held in place with magnets when being used. We had recently watched Tank Girl with Lori Petty and Dad said the shapes of the headgear were influenced by the imagery of the movie.  I love how Dad highlighted the femininity of the figure with the bright hot pink colored tones against the worn desert mud washed yellow.

I love female Star Wars action figures because they aren't produced as widely as the males. I know. Many would argue the the Star Wars action figure line has been the most generous toy line when it comes to creating toys featuring characters of both sexes.  I would agree, but toy customization really brings out possibilities that would never come into realization at the mass production level.  I definitely try to even things out in the street scenes of my play environments and to do that we have created a lot of female custom action figures in this house.  This figure ended being one of my favorites of Dad's.  I especially loved the sword with the Mandalorian symbol sculpted into the hilt.

As hard as she was to give up, it's cool to know that I have a JediStyle custom action figure coming my way.  Definitely worth it!  Look for the action figure that JediStyle created in December's Customizer Spotlight.

"FEMME MANDO"
created by Darth Daddy

[size=150]There are a lot more pictures for this one so be sure to read the full post over at the blog:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2013/12/femme-mando-created-by-darth-daddy.html
[/size]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:06:15 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #359 on: December 04, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
Thanks guys!  Shawn those DVD's can be pretty expensive these days because they are out of print.  Let me know if you want a cheap solution.

Sounds like a great deal to me, pm incoming.

I bet there will be one female Mando on our front page soon too. Looks great.