Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/28/24  (Read 237040 times)

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 9/22/13
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
That Diva Shaliqua is Awesome! Nice job on the Pong Krell too. I made one too a good while back. The one I made can be seen in my thread here if you'd like to check it out. How tall is your custom Pong Krell? Can you post a pic with him next to a standard size star wars figure?
 Cool stuff!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:04:27 PM by I-am-Boba-Fett »

Offline butterfingers

• Ensign
« Reply #301 on: September 23, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »
That pong krell looks awesome. Great work. Can't wait to see the finished product

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #302 on: September 23, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
That Diva Shaliqua is Awesome! Nice job on the Pong Krell too. I made one too a good while back. The one I made can be seen in my thread here if you'd like to check it out. How tall is your custom Pong Krell? Can you post a pic with him next to a standard size star wars figure?
 Cool stuff!

Hey Kevin,

I can snap a photo when I get him back.  He's the right size. Perfect height in comparison to a clone.  Right now he is with customizer Hyperdrive being outfitted with soft goods.  As soon as I get him back I will have him photographed with a bunch of 501st Clone Troopers created by customizer Wraithnine.

There were a few times I put Krell down because he was so much work.  After seeing you and Colins Customs post your Krell  action figures, it inspired me to pick him back up and keep working at him.  I wanted a Krell in our collection too.

Thanks everybody for all the nice feedback.  It makes all those hours I put into him worthwhile.

This figure collaboration was willed by The Force.  No lie.  True Story.  

During the creation of this figure, I came to a point where I began to think about how I was going to make the clothes for Krell.  I was looking at what I had sculpted so far. I had started to fabricate soft plastic robe skeletons that I could later use with Green Stuff to make a flexible outer layer of clothing for the figure.  I was starting to think that maybe I should abandon my plan and just do soft goods for the rest of his clothing.  

Hyperdrive's soft good clothes popped into my head and I thought to myself, "I wish I could do soft good's like Hyperdrive."  

My immediate second thought was, "I wonder if I could get Hyperdrive to do the soft goods?"

Followed by, "How should I go about asking him?"

Here's the cool part of the story.  In less than a minute after I had that thought, I got an email from Hyperdrive asking me if I could update the video of his work on our "Customs I Wish I Owned" page (http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/p/star-wars-customs-i-wish-i-owned.html).  I obliged and while I had his ear, I asked if he would collaborate with me on Krell.  The rest is history.

The next time you see this guy, he'll have more on than just his underwear.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:39:02 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #303 on: September 23, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
Cool Brian. Can't wait to see your Pong Krell finished. I'm glad my custom Pong Krell could be part of an inspiration for you to dive back into finishing yours. Too bad hasbro can't give us an actual Pong Krell figure.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »
Who knows? Maybe we'll get to see Krell in the Black series in a future wave.  I didn't want to take any chances though after we saw the end of the Clone Wars line. 

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »
Here's a quick custom modification that takes only a few minutes to make.   Parental Supervision Required. Take the torso of the Young Anakin Darth Vader from that Target 2 pack and swap it for the Vintage Darth Vader with the ball jointed hips and call it a day.  I boiled both figures in hot water and then when the plastic the figures are made of got soft enough I swapped the heads.  Figures will be hot and you can definitely burn yourself.  I advise letting the excess water completely drain off the soft goods before attempting to touch the figure even with your oven mitts on.  

I like this project because it takes only a few minutes to create.  I need to grab one more of the Vintage Vaders so I can do an Episode VI removable helmet Vader with ball jointed hips and the Sebastian Shaw likeness.

VINTAGE ARTICULATED
EPISODE III DARTH VADER
created by Darth Daddy

Vader with the Hayden Christensen head sculpt.

Here the link to the full post:

http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2013/09/vintage-articulated-episode-iii-darth.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:29:46 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 9/26/13
« Reply #306 on: September 27, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »
Wow, great tutorial here Brian. I have to go share this. Seems like a no-brainer.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #307 on: September 27, 2013, 07:34:02 AM »
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is better about that Target exclusive head?

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #308 on: September 27, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is better about that Target exclusive head?

It isn't about the head.  It's to give the Episode III figure better articulation in the hips.  I did it to give Vader better poseability when we play out Order66.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #309 on: September 28, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »

It's the only one with the Hayden Christensen likeness.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 9/26/13
« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2013, 05:57:33 AM »
This is a figure update.  The first time I finished him I wasn't really happy with the results.  Yesterday, I spent a few more hours on him and while I'm not 100 % thrilled, I think it is a definitely an improvement compared to my first attempt.  

Chalmun was the Wookiee proprietor of the most popular spacer's bar in Mos Eisley, Tatooine, the eponymous Chalmun's cantina.

"CHALMUN THE WOOKIEE"
created by DARTH DADDY

CHECK OUT THE BLOG POST FOR THE RECIPE AND MORE PHOTOS:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2011/07/chalmun-wookiee.html?spref=fb
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:18:34 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 10/01/13
« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2013, 09:56:34 AM »
That Vader is awesome. I would like to see a Youtube video of how to do that custom. Not that I need it, but I would like to see it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #312 on: October 02, 2013, 03:02:05 AM »
Chalmun looks good, on the front page.

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
« Reply #313 on: October 02, 2013, 05:26:45 AM »
LOVE Chalmun! What a cool custom!

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #314 on: October 02, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »
Great stuff as always!  You're the best!!!