Author Topic: customsforthekid.blogspot.com 1/28/24  (Read 236257 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 3/23/14
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
Looks good!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #436 on: March 31, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »
Hey everybody,

Not sure how many of you watch The Wolfpack Podcast on YouTube.  I was introduced to the video podcast a few months ago by some of my fellow customizers who were extremely loyal watchers.  I hopped on board after one viewing.  They are very customizing friendly on there and yesterday I had the opportunity to sit down and talk The Clone Wars with them and I gave a lot of shout outs to a lot of you guys on here as we talked Star Wars for 6 hours during their Remember The Clone Wars tribute show.  I had a great time talking on there and am looking forward to the future Star Wars custom action figure show we have planned.

Here's the link to the video:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-wolfpack-podcast-57-remember-clone.html

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
    • Star Wars: Customs for the Kid
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2014, 05:47:59 PM »
Completing my first sculpted figure was a real milestone in my development as an artist. It made me feel like I was more a part of the customizing community now that I could participate in conversations about sculpting with some experience behind me. Prior to making this figure, I had only observed my dad sculpt action figures. Dad gave me this project feeling it would be a great introductory lesson on sculpting for me. Dad said that he first practiced his sculpting technique by creating hair on action figure heads before he attempted more advanced techniques.

To sculpt the hairstyle on the matured Yoda character model, I used Green Stuff. When my sculpt hardened and dried, a grey prime coat was applied to the sculpt and then black washes were used on the recesses while white paint was dry brushed to the raised areas of the sculpt.

THE CLONE WARS: THE LOST MISSIONS
"Yoda" Custom Action Figure
created by Elias

CHECK OUT THE LINK BELOW FOR THE FULL POST:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-clone-wars-lost-missions-yoda.html

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 4/06/14
« Reply #438 on: April 07, 2014, 03:00:19 AM »
Very cool, looks good to me. Off to share.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #439 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:15 AM »
Great work, Elias!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #440 on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
DD & Elias,

Awesome work guys.

Ron

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »
DD & Elias,

Awesome work guys.

Ron

Thanks Ron.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After I finished making my two custom "Clone Wars Chancellor Palpatine" figures, I found that I now had two "Clone Wars Darth Sidious" action figures in the house and I only needed one.  I had a collectible that was displayed on a shelf in Elias' room, and I also had one that I bought to create head casts of so I could create new figures. I recently bought the second one, so I didn't have to rip the hood off of the head of my collectible.  He's a super rare action figure and I didn't want to damage my only one, just so I could create a mold of what was underneath. Once I made a mold of the head underneath the hood, I was able to cast new heads for my customs and I was really thrilled with the results.  

It all worked out great, but unfortunately, now the resale value of the figure I used to make my customs wasn't as good as my collectible because I hacked the neck off of the figure right at the shoulders so I could mold it at the same time as the head to speed along my customizing process.  After the mold was made, I re-glued the neck back onto the figure, and reattached the hood and the head. Luckily, the cut in the neck wasn't visible, because the hood and soft goods hid all the damage I did to the figure.  

So now what to do with it?  

I knew I couldn't get the money I invested on the second one back now that I cut the neck off, and then glued it back on.  No one would pay a premium price for that. While the figure later did pay itself off through other means, I still had an extra figure I didn't need, and I had to decide what to do with it.  

I figured why not make a super-articulated version of Darth Sidious, giving the action figure both ball-jointed hips and knees.  Originally, Hasbro's version had only a swivel waist and his legs were just one solid piece of plastic with no articulation anywhere at all.  I decided to give the second figure more range of motion.  First, I cut the knees out of the legs and replaced them with two Revoltech joints we had in fodder. I then cut the legs off where they attached at the groin.  Afterwards, I created two ball sockets inside the groin with my Dremel and then made another recessed set of sockets at the top of the thigh to accommodate the the ball joints I stole from the elbows of the first Clone Wars Cad Bane action figure which proved Sidious the joints needed for his ball-jointed hips.  

I stole the hands of the second figure earlier to make one of my customs so I replaced them with two Palpatine hands that I found in the leftover parts I used to make my Clone Wars Palpatine figures.  

I will most likely give the figure new feet with ball-jointed ankles once I find something appropriate to use.

SUPER-ARTICULATED
"CLONE WARS DARTH SIDIOUS"
created by Darth Daddy

Check the blog for more pics:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2014/04/super-articulated-clone-wars-darth.html

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 4/11/14
« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2014, 06:15:32 AM »
Very interesting process Brian. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #443 on: April 13, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the cartoony style Clone Wars figures but you did an amazing job giving this some execellent articulation.

Ron

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:33 AM »
This is one of those figures I could never get my hands on in stores and Always wanted one. Not willing to pay eBay prices for it though. Your figure, has now trumped Hasbro's. I LOVE THIS.
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2014, 04:38:27 AM »
This is one of those figures I could never get my hands on in stores and Always wanted one. Not willing to pay eBay prices for it though. Your figure, has now trumped Hasbro's. I LOVE THIS.

Thanks! Btw, your Sugi came out really well! Nice job!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 4/15/14
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2014, 04:40:56 AM »
TAKEN FROM THE BLOG:
"This was a quick action figure Dad threw together to help promote Yakfinities #52: Jabba's Denezins.  Dad used the body of a Black Series Ceremonial Luke with the head and hands of the Ishi Tib action figure.  Dad just had to repaint the neck, jacket, and shirt to finish this guy off after he put some pins in the hand to articulate them.

Tiel left SoroSuub after being blackmailed and fell to crime, ending up in the employ of Jabba Desilijic Tiure. She continued her accounting profession there under Mosep Binneed alongside Tessek and Loje Nella. Like them, she came to despise her employer and sought to regain her freedom.

Tiel was present in Jabba's Palace, asleep on Jabba's dais, when Leia Organa disguised as Boushh, attempted to free Han Solo from carbonite. She later witnessed Luke Skywalker's encounter with the rancor and was aboard the Khetanna when the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon broke out.

We'll have another custom action figure from Jabba's next week so make sure you come back to see it!"

"Shasa Tiel"
created by Darth Daddy

CLICK THE LINK FOR THE FULL POST & MORE PICS:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2014/04/shasa-tiel-created-by-darth-daddy.html

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #447 on: April 16, 2014, 02:56:19 AM »
Looks good to me, back on the front page.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #448 on: April 17, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »
 a really well done  Shasa Tiel ! i am curious about the paint color what did you use to get that color ?

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
    • Star Wars: Customs for the Kid
« Reply #449 on: April 19, 2014, 06:36:14 AM »
a really well done  Shasa Tiel ! i am curious about the paint color what did you use to get that color ?

I think Dad used Citadel Scorched Brown on the shirt and Formula P3's Bloodtracker Brown with some Citadel Desert Yellow to bring out the highlights in the jacket that unfortunately didn't show up on camera with the poor lighting conditions Dad had when he photographed him.  Dad took a picture of him in my Jabba the Hutt diorama without his usual lighting set-up.  Because the lighting was so bad, none of the detail on this figure is visible.