Author Topic: MU Shulke, Scarlett Witch, Kang reviewed.  (Read 4736 times)

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
MU Shulke, Scarlett Witch, Kang reviewed.
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:00:49 AM »
Originally posted http://www.zedsjoesite.com/review/mushulk/mushulk.html

Well it was a huge surprise, but we have yet another wave of Marvel Universe in our sights.  As I mentioned last time, this has been a desolate year for a 1:18th collector.  I won't rehash what I brought up in the last review but I will say just based on the two waves this year Marvel Universe is winning in the 3 & 3/4 inch levels.  

We've seen press pictures of these figures for so long most of us wondered if they would ever see the light of day, well here they are.

Thing is with the year being so dead I have to ask myself am I overrating these guys because there is so little out there?  I don't think so but it's a fair question and one I will try to address here.  I re-read the last review now that the luster has worn off a bit on the figures and I have to say overall I am still in agreement with all that I said (I mean sometimes you get a bit excited, right?).  As good as that wave was this one I was looking forward to much more but I wouldn't call it perfect, but very good.

Let's start off with the elephant on the couch:

UGGH! So I think it's fair to say I am well beyond Spider-Man burnout.  As I said with the Movie Spidey review, I'm a bit sick of Spidey.  How many darned Spidey's do we need, really?  Hasbro thinks that since we have all of them that they need to toss in the kitchen sink as well.  Thus we have FUTURE FOUNDATION Spider-Man.  

So I do have to say I kind of like this figure, but I was really hoping for Paper Bag Spidey for various reasons (Mostly to use the bag for a joke in Scale Wars, yes I can't do a review without a shameless plug ;-), oh well I'll get it somehow).  

Honestly I don't "get" Spidey being in the Future Foundation.  First off I am not a huge fan of the team especially since the spark that ignited them into existence (the "death" of Johnny Storm) has been negated, (Of course the focus is shifting to the kids anyway, which again makes the whole team kind of pointless since the Fantastic Four is back, eh whatever).  Plus the Fantastic Four is the flagship team of Marvel, why we changing them around to a new team all of a sudden?  Also, I was planning on getting the repaint of this figure in the FF comic pack with FF Doom (Again Scale Wars).  As such this figure becomes something of a letdown.  Not because he isn't good but because, well, he's another Spider-Man.  I mean is he the James Brown of Marvel now?  He's like in every team and all over every book.  When is it decided he is a mutant and joins the X-Men?

OK, way off track.

First I was surprised when I noticed the head wasn't Armored Spidey repainted.  I like that we got a whole new head but at the same time I have to point out the wash that kind of makes him look like a gray alien.  I just hope the mayonnaise shooting webbing isn't some kind of crazy anal probe.  

Another thing I don't get about the design is it kind of reminds me of Anti-Venom.  So I guess by default the repaint will be Venom?  So like what happened to Pete's aversion to the black and white design.  Oh wait, that was tossed out a few years ago too with "Back in Black."  Makes you wonder if anything will stay constant don't it.  

So I haven't talked much about the figure, really he's one of those that hasn't much to say past the paintjob.  He packs the standard body type we are all used to (Captain Rogers, Adam Warlock, Cyclops, ect mold) reviewed to death at this point.  Not saying it's not a great mold but what else is there to say?  He has a fist hand and a grasping hand.  

With all my reviews of Spidey figs in the past I really have nothing to say about Spidey either.  Kind of left with nothing to really say about this one.  

Again I was under whelmed by the design in the comic but on the figure it looks a lot better.  While I have a slight bit of confusion with the design at least it look good overall.  I actually think it looks better than most of the art of the same costume I have seen.  Still burnout is there, I just can't deny it.  He wouldn't be here if I hadn't bought the set, but now that he is I do kind of like him and think he will stick around.  

Next up is one of those characters that had so much going for him and can't get seem to get that moxie back today.  

The Punisher kind of burst on the scene for me in the 80's.  I was actually not very similar with his early appearances and only caught him with his regular series.  One of the big things I remember very vividly was a cross over with Daredevil.  In fact it was the first time I saw two heroes have virtually the same panels for part of a comic and it was pretty cool.  

The basic premise here was that DD and Punny were following the same trail to the same thief.  They come to blows over what to do next as Punisher wants to kill the perp while DD wants to give him to the cops.  What was really great was how this fight showcased Daredevil who really took Punisher to task.  Granted Punisher wouldn't shoot Daredevil as he wasn't a bad guy, just in his way (I think he later called him "misguided" but not in this issue).  Pretty sure Punny lost and DD returned the thief to the cops, but it has been a LOOONG while since I read these issues.  That was my basic intro to Punisher and I admit I liked him right away.  

Even though I had collected comics for a long time at that point I wasn't too similar with Punisher until this crossover.  Not sure why but that's the way it was, just missed seeing him I guess.

My other vivid memory was picking up a reprint of one of Punny's early appearances in Marvel Tales and how Punny kind of lost it and started shooting at jaywalkers, ect.  It was a cool comic and personified what I loved about Marvel Tales and such series, a cheap way to read those old issues we never got to see back when there were out the first time.

Punisher got super-popular after that series.  Soon he got a second series (War Journal) and then another (War Zone) and a bunch of limited series, then a comic about his armory, and then one about his cool Mini-van (because we had to sell mini-vans, right) and then a series on his toenails and a series on his flatulence and then a series on his rising from the dead and being sort of zombie vigilante (that one is true BTW, no joke), then cross overs with EVERYONE (He even went after the Hulk, because as we know a regular guy with a gun lasts 2 seconds with the Hulk) and tons of other stuffs that simply over exposed him to everyone before the whole 90's thing died.  It's called overkill, let's face it, and Punisher personified it (Hey and I never mentioned the lamest story he had where he change his ethnicity-oh I guess I just did).  

I mention all this for a reason by the way.  I argue that if Marvel had kept Punisher to one title and kept most all those stories in that title Frank would still be a mega-popular character today.  Punisher is a very tragic character but he is also very limited.  While some great stories have been told with Punny, there is a limit no matter how you slice it (that's true for any character).  Most times he comes in, kills the baddies, moves on.  The big names get away (and it often gets difficult to make up convincing ways to get the Kingpin out of Punisher's crosshairs) and Castle continues on.  Overexposure really brought the guy down and to this day he hasn't fully recovered.

I also mention that because, well, look around.  This is the same practice Marvel uses today.  Even though characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Deadpool, ect. are not as limited as Punny, do they really need all those ongoing series?  Are we in overexposure again?  I think so.  It seems that less is more sometimes, especially when you consider the prices of comics are going up with less to interest the casual buyer.  I also don't want to see what happened to Punisher happen to X-Men, Avengers, or everyone else I genuinely love.  Sometimes though it seems to late.  I've got no idea why Marvel wants to follow a formula that has failed miserably for them already, but then again I ask the same thing about lots of companies.  

OK so what's a review without some ranting, onward.

Frank has some nice features.  While I am upset about the paint flaw above his eye, he still is a great improvement over the previous attempts at the Punisher.  I really like the silver on the blade and the silver on the guns.  Unfortunately the way Hasbro packs those soft things they get bent.  So once again I'm forced to straighten them out, again oh well.  

My biggest knock is also something I really like, the holsters.  Unfortunately the way they tie around his thighs limit his movement slightly.  OK more than slightly, a side kick is basically impossible.  I think I would have rathered his signature front ribs should have been part of the mold rather than a separate piece.  Hasbro's cheap, what can you do, right?  

Not sure about the skull on the chest.  It seems to have some extra design to it that is unnecessary.  I suppose the design is supposed to be a bit more creepy but it really distracts and when mixed with the wash kind of makes it hard to discern detail, especially since the line goes through the middle of the chest.  

Even with those knocks, Punny is a pretty cool figure.  It's great to have a figure that can fit in with the great Daredevil from last year.  With my intro to Punny being from Daredevil I have always viewed the two of them together.  Now they at least match up.  

Like I said, the wash just doesn't fit but it's still a much better figure than the last attempt at Punisher.  

I would have to say Punisher is a win.  Better than any previous attempts and I'm hard pressed to think of a reason why to buy a new one (If it's ever made, which this is Hasbro after all).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:11:42 AM by zedhatch »

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
Re: MU Shulke, Scarlett Witch, Kang reviewed.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »
From the Anti-hero to the villain of the wave.

Kang is one of those characters I am genuinely shocked we never got before.  I thought for sure he would be in the Secret Wars comic packs (being that he was so prominent in the Mattel Secret Wars series as well).  For whatever reason he is here now and he does look great.

Now this is a nice figure.  Looking him over I don't recognize (I'm sure someone will point out where I am wrong in this regard somewhere though, LOL).  He fits his role perfectly.

I once had an idea for a Kang story.  Kind of the first Kang story, before he became the conqueror.  He pops up in time attempting to prevent the Avengers from stopping him from a theft in time a few days later.  He (to him) has already been stopped by the Avengers and served a prison sentence given by the Time Authority (Take your pick there).  Anyway it is where Kang first discovers that messing with time causes alternate realities and really cannot change his life (and what has happened to him).  Never really got the chance to flesh it out but I thought it was a neat idea.

Kang fits his role perfectly and the colors are spot on.  The purple has a nice sheen to it I wasn't expecting and creates a great effect on the figure overall.  The fact that the boots are part of the mold rather than painted is another plus.  The only knock I can see is the way the raggedy crotch sits it kind of limits movement a bit, but not a great deal and Kang isn't doing acrobatics soon anyway. 

Kang rocks, end of story.  In a line always a bit short on the villains he is very welcome.  That and really he is one of those big top characters that should have been here by now.

Next, believe it or not, is the culmination of a dream. 

At last, after so many years I get to live a dream, almost.  Since Star Wars figures hit I have wanted a 1:18th scale version of my version of the Avengers.  So without further ado-AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

Some Notes: Would really like a "full sized" Wasp as well as a Giant Man (working on the BAF).  Of course I am waiting for a better Black Panther (Someday).  My reservists are Beast (ML Showdown), Black Widow, Falcon and Quicksilver.  Will do another pick with the reservists later.  Also I generally avoid using stands but for sanity's sake I did.  Astute (or perhaps anal) collectors will notice I haven't matched up the stands.  Keep in mind most of the comic pack figures (Hawkeye, Wonder Man) didn't have stands at all.  This was a quick shot to get these guys together after literally 30 years of wanting to see this.

Back to Wanda, whom I feel is often victimized in comics.

I mean seriously how many times has Wanda been the center of going nuts, being possessed and whatever else when someone wants someone else to turn on the Avengers.  Even before Avengers Disassembled and House of M Wanda kept getting possessed, turned insane, or whatever reason to turn.  I think someone told me she had like 7 storylines like that.  The only innovation of Avengers Disassembled and House of M is that they took that idea further than it had gone previously, which also ends up coming back anyway so why bother.  Add to that the FREAKING WEIRD turn of events when Hawkeye out for revenge ended up sleeping with her, uh yeah.

It seems Wanda gets the short end of the stick when it comes to character.  Sure it might relate to her "Chaos Magic" but also it might relate to poor writing as no one can figure out a way to make Wanda do anything besides go nuts. 

So in many ways it seems Marvel likes reserving Wanda to the sweet girl ultimately corrupted by the world.  Maybe I am reading too much into that. 

Personally I have tried to view Wanda a bit like Leia in the Star Wars Zahn books, a reluctant heir to her father's dark legacy and attempting to make things right by it. I would think a good writer would do that for Scarlet Witch.  Sometimes I see hints of it but I'm not sure it's intentional or not.

So is her powers magical or mutation.  There has been some long running debates for both. She has received training in magics (from Agetha Harkness) but most times the debate seems to switch back to her powers being mutant.  Still the Hex powers seem to we a weird mutant power and sometimes she falls in with those darned magic users.

And she married a robot, which I have to say even when I was young I thought was weird and lead to ideas of "stamina" if you get my drift.  I mean Vision doesn't need to rest, right?

So enough joking around, to the figure.

My one knock to the figure is the thigh cuts look like they are done totally wrong.  They don't seem to match up with the rest of the figure.  I do like the fact that her boots are molded and not simply painted (like Ms Marvel).  Her outfit and paint are spot on and work to show the bright colors I have come accustomed to from her.

While she fits well with Vision there is an odd situation that she ends up being taller than him.  Scale is a weird thing in MU and thus deserves mentioning.  She even ends up being taller than her dad's (Magneto) latest incarnation.  Need to dig out the SW and MLS versions to see how she matches with them still. 

Her head sculpt is dead on and her flowing hair doesn't seem to inhibit movement.  The only inhibition I see is the cape to the look up head, and that is mild.  The cape is actually a bit too big for her anyway.  Not sure what the design team was thinking there but placement is a bit of an issue.

So I had some fun with this figure, and that is what matters.  I'd have to say this is a great figure and worth picking up if you are an Avengers fan (Like me).

Next, shock and awe, is the other girl of this party-SHE-HULK!!!

Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to.

Any review with a Tommy Tutone reference has to be cool, right. 

So I have loved She-Hulk for a long time.  In researching for this review I found out something.  Her apparent "encounter" with Juggernaught was an alternate reality.  While I'm not saying Jen can't be with who she likes, the fact that she had such a big hang up about a date with Luke Cage due to his previous convictions always kind of bugged me that no one noticed that fact with Jughead.  Problem solved, wasn't really her.

So you ever remember those really tall girls in high school?  The ones that were pretty but guys stayed away because they were taller than all the boys.  Anyway those were the girls I often went after.  For one I really didn't mind a tall woman, it's kind of fun.  Second, well I won't go there, but the point is that I have had an attraction to tall women.  Oddly my first wife was short (5 foot 4) but my second wife was nearly as tall as me (5 foot 10) so maybe it all balanced out.  Point is that attraction moves over to Shulkie as well.

Jen is a lawyer, she also is nearly as strong as her cousin Bruce, and well what's not to love.  She also innovated the whole "breaking the forth wall" thing with John Byrne's run (often talking to the reader through the panel) which later made Deadpool the popular character he is. 

Jen never really has had a full chance IMO.  She is a very good stand alone character but she's often regulated to a support role for Hulk.  Sadly she really never gets her full potential.  While she started out being a simple female version of the Male hero she kind of transcended that becoming her own individual in the process.  If you get a chance look all this up, it's an interesting read.

So first off, Jen has standard articulation but also the addition of double hinged elbows-COOL!

She has my favorite outfit for her in the past few years.  I saw the comic pack version and while alright I thought it was painted a bit weird, hard to explain without a pic of it which I don't have because I don't have the figure. 

So yeah, I have a few knocks.  First the rocker ankles have some issues.  They just don't quite "rock" like they should.  Also Jen's "endowments" seem to be downplayed a bit.  I mean Shulkie has some huge chestys and while this figure isn't flat it seems to be about two cup sizes shy of where I would picture her. 

But I do love the fact her hands are fists, besides maybe Luke Cage's steel beam she won't be holding much of anything.

Shulkie also seems a bit short.  She is often referred as being seven feet tall but this figure is only slightly taller than Scarlet Witch.  Then again Wanda seemed tall too so that is probably a factor.

Strong, tough and smart, Shulkie is one of those must have figures.  She fits with the Fantastic Four, Avengers, Defenders and other teams or stands on her own.  A great character and a great figure.

That wraps it up this time, More figs to the collection and more fun for the future.  See you on the flipside.

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
Great reviews!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
Another good round, and on the front page.  I still have mine in a box, haven't popped 'em open yet!  I was on the fence on which Spidey I was hoping to get.  I got the FF version, to compliment the other 3, but I also want the Paper Bag version, because it's cool as Hell! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
Love your reviews Zed. Always spot on and entertaining to boot. Wish I could write a review that good.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
I'll be honest, I'd love to review these too, but Zed does such a great job, it's like throwing a snowball at a blizzard! 

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
Great reviews!

Thanks

Another good round, and on the front page.  I still have mine in a box, haven't popped 'em open yet!  I was on the fence on which Spidey I was hoping to get.  I got the FF version, to compliment the other 3, but I also want the Paper Bag version, because it's cool as Hell! 

I've gotten so little this year it's hard for me to wait LOL. 

Love your reviews Zed. Always spot on and entertaining to boot. Wish I could write a review that good.

Thanks, I just try to put in the whys of what I want about these figs.  Like I said I always wanted a 1;18th avengers to hang out with Han and Luke LOL

I'll be honest, I'd love to review these too, but Zed does such a great job, it's like throwing a snowball at a blizzard! 

Ah, I appreciate the complement. 

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »
I actually saw all these figures in TWO different WalMarts this week!  I'm considering getting She-Hulk and Scarlett Witch to use as - dun dun DUUUUUH! - Twi'lek fodder.  Gotta love a molded-in-place belly button for an exposed-skin chick custom!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:12:13 AM »
I agree Pat. I feel the same way when he reviews SW Figures.

I also wanted to let everyone know that CAFN is going to do a special end of the year best of figures show with good ole Zed! It ought to be a fun show.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »
I agree Pat. I feel the same way when he reviews SW Figures.

I also wanted to let everyone know that CAFN is going to do a special end of the year best of figures show with good ole Zed! It ought to be a fun show.

Should be an hour me complaining about Hasbro distrobution LOL. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 04:51:21 AM »
LOL. Add me to that list Zed. It will be the well this one looked good but we can't find it end of year review show.

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:51 AM »
I agree i would spend a long time just explaining how STUPID hasbro is! ;)
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot