Author Topic: X-Wing Alliance News - More to come!  (Read 9647 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
X-Wing Alliance News - More to come!
« on: July 30, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Hi folks,

I apologize for being scarce lately, I've been re-training so there has been very little time for my project however, I have been taking a little time to re-think the artwork moving forward and I have decided to try to bring more life into the characters by using CGI generated faces. It will make the project more difficult for a while but I feel the results will be worth it. I know that with each development I'm moving away from using custom figures, but I want to create more realistic imagery.  

Here are my first test renders of my favorite characters.... I hope you guys approve.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:51:13 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: X-Wing Alliance News
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
Wow, Jules, those are incredible!  Very cool indeed, looking forward to when you get more time to see how these turn out!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
bloody hell!!  you do realise you are considered a true innovater in the realms of the photonovel ...and rightly so my friend
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03:49 AM »
Wow. I will try to think of better comments shortly as I try to re-hinge my jaw Jules.

Daggone my friend, you just take graphics to an entirely new level and I credit what little skill I have to trying to emulate some of the things I have seen you create. Wow.

Ok, need to go share this on the fp.

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:31:08 AM »
Absolutely amazing graphics Jules!!! You truly bring this hobby to new heights in terms of realism and vision. I cannot wait to see what promises to be a groundbreaking shift in your series. Thank you for sharing!!!

Spookymufu

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
well Jules, looks like I'm the fly in the buttermilk, but, I like the actual figures better, the skill and execution of these are great, but I will miss the figures and "old" style of your imagery.

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
WHOA these are AMAZING!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Darth Depressis

• Commander
    • http://starwarsphotonovels.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Depressis
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
"you've taken your first into a larger world"

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »
well Jules, looks like I'm the fly in the buttermilk, but, I like the actual figures better, the skill and execution of these are great, but I will miss the figures and "old" style of your imagery.

Spooky you are not alone in your thoughts, I too really like using the figures and adding expressions has worked really well, I am also worried about adding the CGI but I have reached a bit of an impasse. Using figures allows for only limited dialogue, if I want to explore the characters and the interplay between them then adding expressions and working in extreme close up is the only solution, otherwise you just end up with lots of middle distance shots that become boring to read.

I'm going to give this a shot, but if it doesn't look right I'll be continuing as normal.

J

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
Those are sexy

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 04:00:21 AM »
Here are my first test renders of my favorite characters.... I hope you guys approve.

There's a statement you never, ever need to make!  I know I'm pleased with your new artistic direction---not that the action figure look was unappealing in any way---as the renders look out of this world.  Both forms---the traditional or CGI---have (or will) show off your storytelling acumen quite well...

Excellent new look for an excellent PN!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »
this is really the next step reagarding your photo novel work, just awesome. Its really a big step to even better story-telling and close-up shots. Alwasy pushing the limits, my friend. Unbound creativity - congratulations!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »
I agree, Jules, this is the next logical step for you to take and I would never dream of impeding the progress of something so wonderful.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »
Jules these new images look great! I too have to say I will miss the figures with your enhancements. I really love your old style but understand a artist is always evolving and having new ideas. I look forward to seeing this new ground breaking experience in photo novels, like so many other things you have perfected and shared in the forums.

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Hi folks, I apologize for my absence of late, family and work responsibilities have taken up nearly all of my time. I have managed to grab some time to devote to my favorite project and I thought I'd share with you a teaser image for the upcoming chapter.

It's some way off yet mainly because of the extra artwork that I need to do, all frames are now Photoshop created plus I've had to create all of the characters (you can see Maya, Y'Alla, Ace and Cho in the image below). I am also trying to add some character driven areas as well as the epic space battles we all love, so there is much to do. I've also been mulling over the idea of taking the story off the rails and taking it in a new direction, away from the game missions and into some new Wraith Squadron type stories, but that's for later.

In the meantime I am looking forward to presenting the next chapter and will have it completed as soon as I can.

J

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:52:14 PM by hangarbay94 »