Author Topic: Celebration 6 action figure customizing panel  (Read 3503 times)

Offline sillof

• Cadet
    • SILLOF'S WORKSHOP
Celebration 6 action figure customizing panel
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:52:05 AM »
I have been cleared to officially announce that at Celebration VI in Orlando there will be a panel on Action Figure Customizing.

The panel will have 3 members. Luke Sprywalker, Sithfire_30, and myself. That is why I asked the poll a while back for who were the best customizers. I could not be happier with the line up and feel that the 3 of us cover very well rounded and diverse approaches to the hobby.

The last I heard it was going to be on Sunday and last around 45 minutes including a Q & A.

The panel will be part introduction to the hobby, part showcase of various customizer's work, and part "how to" clinic with tips and tricks.

While the format is pretty set, I would love to hear what people would like to see covered in the panel.

I also would love to showcase peoples work. I am looking for images of:

modern 3.75
 vintage customs 3.75
 12" customs
 your workstations & fodder
 I really need some WIPS

I can't include everything and I have certain holes I need to fill bu I would appreciate any help so if you have any of the previous please post them here or send me some images at sillof at sillof dot com

I am really excited about the event I think it will be a great boost for the hobby.

I have a bunch of fun stuff planned and will even be giving away one of my figures to some random attendee.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Celebration 6 action figure customizing panel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »
Already commented on RS. This is awesome and the three of you will handle this like the pros you are, I'm sure.

I'd love to help out, WIPs are kind of a specialty of mine  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »
I can't wait to talk about this on Thursday Evening. This is just awesome news Sillof. You definitely couldn't have asked for better partners on the panel. Consider any of our resources here yours.

As far as what I think would rock is first just an overall reference image slide show with some of the over the top SW Customs folks have created with a smattering of figures, vehicles, and dioramas to show people how a stock figure or vehicle can be transformed. You could then start simple with kitbashes and work you way to full on sculpting. I think your three areas are spot on. I love the thought of a Q and A Session too.

Also, if you need any help putting together parts of a slideshow or images of any sort let me know and I would be happy to assist.

This is just awesome news and I am glad you were finally able to share it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
Time for me to go shout this from the roof tops.

Sillof I think this is such a cool and great thing, validating customizing once again as a more than legitamite art form and promoting it on a kind of international stage. Thank you for letting us be a part of it.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
Definitely gonna be awesome!  Congrats, Sillof, SithFire, and L.E. for getting the nod to represent us all.  You will absolutely do us proud!

I don't have many photos of stuff or anything, and there are certainly far more deserving examples of customs out there, but you're welcome to use anything I've posted here if you need it...

Good luck and, again, congratulations!  (And enjoy yourselves while you're there!)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:21:06 PM by JediMerc »

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
Congrats guys!!! :)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys! I am really excited about this event! Go ahead and mark that last sentence as the understatement of the year...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
I am not even gonna be able to go and I am more psyched than I have been for awhile!

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
Question on painting figs what is the prep work you do on figure before you paint and what kind do of paint do you use.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
Wow, I missed this!  MEGA-congrats to you guys!!  If any of my pics are of interest, have at them! 
(be sure and mention fan-written webcomics/photonovels!)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
Figured it might be good to post this here too:

Hey we have a location and time for the customizng event happening on Sunday!

First off, here is a link to a download section for a mobile app that will let you download the complete convention schedule on any device.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/About-SWC/Star-Wars-Celebration-Is-Going-Mobile/

Here is the specific info on the customizing panel:

"Action Figure Customization

Time: 11:15am - 12:00pm

Description: Have you ever wanted an action figure the toy companies did not make, maybe of an obscure character, or one of your own creation, or even of yourself in the Star Wars Universe? Action figure customizers make their own figures by using pieces of existing figures and sculpting their own pieces from scratch. Come learn more about this interesting hobby that is great for kids and seasoned hobbyists. Guests will see examples of amazing creations and how they were made, plus get tips and tricks from some of the top names in the craft. A few lucky attendees will walk away with a unique action figure made by the panel members. Talk about a con exclusive!"

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »
Somebody please videotape this panel discussion and post it on Youtube.  I can't wait!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
Thanks for adding this Shawn, I just looged on to post it. I am very excited to be involved in the first ever customizing panel at a celebration. I just wish more of my friends here at the yards could make the trip so we could all meet and hang out. Also, so everyone knows, Chad/Lucasclones will be attending and I will be reserving 2 front row seats for him to broadcast it live on Imperial Shipyards (front page). So tune in to hear it live or you can listen after he gets it uploaded. Not trying to speak for him but just getting the info out. I am sure he will chime in next time he is on.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:45:55 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:31 AM »
Somebody please videotape this panel discussion and post it on Youtube.  I can't wait!

Brian, we are gonna do better than that. Chad has agreed to livestream this for ISY.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 04:18:23 AM »
This bit of news just blows me away. I can't think of a better group to spearhead this panel.
You guys are gonna rock the house!