Author Topic: HangarBay 94's Dioramas - Selling the Family Jewels  (Read 34633 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
HangarBay 94's Dioramas - Selling the Family Jewels
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:44:22 AM »

Hi, everyone!

I thought that rather than have a new post every time I have something new to show, this is where I'll come to chill out, take a breather and post images of my progress.

Thanks in advance to anyone who comments on my creations, it is a real privilege to be able to show off what I make, and also thank you for taking an interest in my hobby.

If anyone wants any further information on what I make, how it’s made, or even if you want guidance on how to make your own cool stuff, I am only too happy to help.

Best wishes,
Hangarbay94
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:06:29 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
Photonovel Teaser
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:05:54 AM »

As my first post here, I'd like to show what I've been putting together for my attempt at a Photonovel.

Putting together a Photonovel requires not only putting togeher models and dioramas, but also customising figures, photography, editing and of course story telling (sharp intake of breath!).

For a while now I've been aspiring to get into the genre, but with a business to run and 2 kids to look after, time is at a premium. So, rather than try to make sets out of solid materials (which is time consuming), I've decided to try to put together a system of sets using mountboard, a method I used to create my large Death Star Hangar.

By creating sets in this way, walls, floors and other details can be shifted into varying positions in order to create the illusion of different locations, also the walls and floors can have decals on both sides, again making location changes quick and simple.

After scouring the net for a couple of hours I then had enough images to create both of the sets I'll need for the first act of the novel, which takes place on Coruscent, on the lower levels and on the Azameen Family Base.

The other good thing about this process is that the kids can play with this stuff, they can create their own scenes using their own imagination.

Anyway, without further ado, here are my test shots of my first night work.  

And here is the film studio....

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:09:03 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Hangar Bay 94's Chill Out Room
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:14:58 AM »
Nice place you have here, HB94! Those test shots look great! And also, thanks for the offer for your help and guidance. I may take you up on it.

This thread was a good idea.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:17:10 AM »
So all the surface detailing is *flat*?  Where did you come up with the images to use?  Did you build removable doors in the walls?  I particularly appreciate the last shot, showing how everything was actually set up and arranged.  That should be of enormous benefit to me once I get started on this type of project!

I'd love a more detailed tutorial of how you go about building your walls and then your sets - you know, where you get images, how you manipulate them, what you print them out on, what sort of arrangements you make for holding the walls upright, and so on.

I'd seen your flickr with the other sci-fi base, so I knew you had a good grasp on utilizing 2D...but I had to go back to the first pic in this thread when I realized you'd used *stickers*!!  I didn't realize the detail was all FLAT!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »
Doc,

Without trying to sound too smug, putting this stuff together really is child's play. The hardest part is knowing enough about Photoshop Elements to be able to cut and paste images onto one another and to alter their sizes. I've been using Photoshop for some time, and if you want to get into making this stuff, then you may need to get a tutorial. The real beauty is, is that once you've mastered it, you can really have some fun. The stuff shown above literally took me a nights work.

To start with I used Niub Niub's decal sheets as a template, everything I do conformes to his sizes, that way I know it will all be to scale. I use one template and simple pate my images onto that template size.

Materials wise all you need is a cutting board, some mount board (thick card), a good craft knife, a pair of scissors, a pack of "one sticker per page" A4 sticky labels and enough ink in your printer (ink represents the highest production cost, so make each sticker count).

When I am looking for images I use Google Image Finder. If you go to Google http://www.google.co.uk/ig?hl=en on the top left corner you'll see some tabs (WEB, IMAGES, VIDEO, MAPS, NEWS etc, etc) select image, then enter your search requirements. A page of images will pop up, and you have the oiption to see a selected image in full size, just save the images by right mouse click (Save Image As) to your desktop or on your hard drive and there you have it your own image library.

It helps if you type in the right search requirements. I usually enter in specifics like "Imperial Cruiser, or Death Star, alternatively I enter in variables like "Scifi wall texture" or "Hangar bay interior", you'll be surprised what comes up.  

If you want my decals here they are...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/sets/72157619465883345/
I will add more as I make them.

Also here is a link to an earlier tutorial I put together for my Star Base project. I used a similar tecnique, except with Mount Board it's much simpler. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/sets/72157614287992670/

Have Fun!!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:08:00 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
I just stumbled upon this thread over at Star Destroyer.net, you have to check out the Digital hangar bay images, they are perfect for editing.

https://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=124353&start=75

Jx
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:03:26 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
Nice links, HB94! Thanks for sharing em with us.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »
Yeah, good links!  I was afraid you were going to use the dreaded P-word! (photoshop)  I pretty much suck at stuff like that.  If I end up making "flats," I'm sure I'll be using someone else's design and just printing them out as-is onto the sticker pages.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
Doc,

Yes, If yov'e never used Photoshop it can be daunting. No worries, if you want me to make you decals I will do so, you just need to let me know what scene you want to create. Once you've got the decals, the rest should be easy for you.

J

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
Segnett and I have been wanting to do this for quite some time, I think we just need a little kickstart.

Does this board have "group challenges"  Since we all seem pretty interested in the dio story/photonovel idea/process, maybe we could all start one at the same time.

HB, have you considered mounting bitz to the mounting board, to bring out some 3d elements?

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
Narce, I prolly will for my own purposes.  I think Jules wants his as flat as possible for storage purposes and bitz will screw that up fast.

Jules, once I actually know what all I want on flats, youbetcha I'll give ya a shout!  The very first thing I can think of would be floors - ships, cargo-bays, buildings, whatever.  I'm going to look into some RPG terrain for textured/detailed floors to see what's been done already that I can use.  A variety of doors is another thing I know I'll be needing - everything from light-duty interior doors up to airlock/pressure doors.

Primarily, I'll be working on turning the Fixer stories into illustrated stories or photonovels, so as I reread/rework the stories, I'll be making notes on backdrops/sets that pop into my mind and I'll harass you from there.   ;D

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »
Segnett and I have been wanting to do this for quite some time, I think we just need a little kickstart.

Does this board have "group challenges"  Since we all seem pretty interested in the dio story/photonovel idea/process, maybe we could all start one at the same time.

HB, have you considered mounting bitz to the mounting board, to bring out some 3d elements?

Narceron,

In answer to your question, I have been considering adding detail to the mount board, but rather than bits stuck on, I'll probably do sunken sections, that way I can still re-use everything.

Another question I keep askigng myself is "how far do I want to go with this?" because apart from the set building, I need the figures etc etc, I need to drawer the line somewhere. Righ now I'm satisfied that I can create the sets at relatively low cost, and get them made fast. My priority now is to focus on the story, get that written and then continue to make the sets.

Doc,

Putting the stuff together for you should be no problem, if you supply me with images of what you are trying to achieve, then I should be able to design something suitable.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
Willdo.  Thankee.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff