Author Topic: XTS_Operative Battle Diorama Update!!!! 10/21/2013  (Read 16667 times)

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
Re: Scotts Jabba Dio
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
Nice job!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
Wow not sure how I missed this! This is so good! Its really awesome how you painted that doorway to give the illusion of space, not easy to do. Really love the light up tables too makes your figures come alive. And its all about the vintage reebo and sysnootles band. Kickass job!

Offline wheeljack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
Wow!!!! my son would have a blast playing with your jabba palace, hell so would I LOL

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
Thanks Fellas! I have another one brewing...I can't wait to unveil it!

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
Re: XTS_Operative Diorama Update 06/07/2012
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 05:46:59 AM »

Here is a small sneak peek at the dio I am currently working on. I couldn't help myself...I wanted to wait until it was complete, but I thought the pictures turned out so great I guess it won't hurt to share...

The story behind this fan-fiction diorama was inspired by a Star Wars role-playing game that some friends and I have been playing for several years now. Aside from Star Wars I am also a huge fan of the Fifth Element, and I hope you will be able to see the spirit of that film in my diorama.

This is Ortho's shop. Ortho is one of the trillions of inhabitants living in the lower bowels of the city-planet Coruscant. I really like the idea of portraying every day life in the Star Wars universe and I think it is going to be a major theme in all of my dioramas in the future. These are some pictures of his subterranean garage. These pictures are taken with my test lighting. It won't be fully lit until the entire diorama is complete. In future updates I will give a full length story, and pictures of the complete diorama (with fully furnished upstairs), and pictures of my custom Ortho working in his shop.

The "Loo."

O

The stairs up to the repair shop.

The turbolift shaft leads down to lower levels.

Hope you enjoy!  0/

Scott

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:46:26 PM by XTS_Operative »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: XTS_Operative Diorama Update 06/07/2012 NEW PICS!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
Wow, I just finished my daily fp reporting, but I know a story that will be on the fp tomorrow. I do agree this looks excellent.

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
Wow, Dude that is great dio can't wait to see more of this one

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
Amazing! You have really created something special here. I love your thoughts about every day life in the galaxy far, far away. The lighting is very well set up and really creates the mood. Bravo, I tip my helmet to you sir. I would love to hear what materials were used and how you created this.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
JEALOUS!!!  THIS is the kind of stuff I'm shooting for!  THIS!!  You rock!

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF GOD (picks oneself up from floor).....that is freaking AWESOME (wipes drool from chin).....Top notch effort man.  BRILLIANT.  ;D
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 04:27:51 AM »
Great lighting ! ;D
Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 05:30:44 AM »
Ok, on the fp.

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
Thanks for the great praise guys. Means a lot. I like producing things that people enjoy just as much as I enjoy looking at the products of others. Though I must admit, I can't wait until this sucker is done. I know my wife can’t wait for me to get it off her kitchen counter... ;D

@Lukesprywalker This dio is just your typical foamcore construction. I bought a 2 x 2 x 1/4" piece of plywood to make the base, cut the base down a few inches on one side so it would fit on the shelf, then essentially just created a large box made out of foamcore. I figured I could then “build-in” with architectural details from outside inward. I use both a hot glue gun and spray adhesive (made for styrene). Charcoal auto primer was used to paint the ceiling structure. Common household gloss spray-paint was used for the color of the walls. I used chalk pastels to smudge the walls to give them that dingy look. McDonalds straws and the inserts from aluminum foil rolls were used to create the overhead ducts and pipes. The flooring was made from plastic gridding bought from Michaels (I guess it is used for knitting?? I really have no idea) which was first painted with auto primer  then finished with a coat of silver lacquer (the kind that does not need a clear coat). The lighting does two things for me: it sets mood and it hides a few of my minor little mistakes. I am going to devise a parallel circuit of 10mm and 5mm LED lights. I am expecting approximately 27 LEDs when everything is said and done. The steel gantry looking thing hanging from left to right across the garage was made from 3/8" wooden dowels and toothpicks, then painted silver, then that grungy turquoise color. After painting I scratched away some of the top layer of paint to make it appear worn with use (like exposed metal ya know?). The Black Sun banner hanging in the back was cut out from old clothing and the symbol was drawn with a permanent marker.       

Most of my "education" on how to build a foamcore structure I have gleaned from tutorials by Frank Diorio, the fine folks on Imperial Shipyards, and the diorama forum on rebelscum. My theory to design an original work that seems coherent with the Star Wars universe is to use an amalgam of different details characteristic of the movie sets. The pipes in the ceiling were inspired by Frank Diorio’s Millenium Falcon Interior, the lights inset into the walls came from the Death Star, the huge garage door emulates a version of a blast door also seen on the Death Star. The upstairs areas will use more details pulled from both the prequel and original trilogy. Hopefully when all is said and done this will be a convincing location from the underworld of Coruscant.       
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:54:26 PM by XTS_Operative »

Spookymufu

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
Love the atmosphere in the pics, the lighting is great

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Wow really awesome, looks lifesize!