Author Topic: aboardthedeathstar - my customs...  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
Re: aboardthedeathstar - my customs...
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »
The weathering on these is FANTASTIC.  Welcome to The Yards!

Offline aboardthedeathstar

• Cadet
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »
Hey! Thanks again everyone for your comments - I appreciate them!

• Cadet
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
All these look terrific, love the final look of the Falcon but especially the Jedi Starfighter.  

Do you mind sharing how you accomplished the look for the Jedi Starfighter?  I'd love to try that style on one of mine.

Hey JediMerc,

For the Starfighter I removed the canopy and taped up the cockpit to keep it clean. Then I sprayed the whole of the outside with a white primer spray (I think I used Tamiya on this one). After that mixed up various washes of greys and browns. (and I used some yellow ochre mixed with black - I used Revell enamel paints and a fat brush. Some washes the paint was thicker than others - some so watery (with thinner) they almost ran right off. Sometimes I'd leave a wash to dry, sometimes I rub areas with a fat clean brush or a bit of tissue to add texture and make the tones irregular. I'm just careful to let it dry throughly overnight between each coat. To be honest I just tend to mess around a bit these washes. Once I got a decent 'grubby' looking base which is all fairly 'mid-tone' I'll use a super thin brush to drop really thinned out darker paint into the runs and grooves on the bodywork to really bring out the details. I won't go too dark too quickly - I'll build it up. Then I added in some dry brushing of greys/near blacks to give it a sooty feel in places.

One technique I think is really effective and I used on all the above models is to put a little wet paint on the brush then run my finger over the top of the bristles effectively flicking the paint off the brush so it spatters and sprays over the model. I think looks a bit like oil/mud splatters etc and worked quite well around the circular window at the front of the Starfighter. I think the main thing I've learnt that works for me is never apply black paint direct. Keep applying dark grey/brown/yellow washes and build the contrast over a few days. It'll look so much richer that way - in the way dirt builds over time.

Hope that helps!

I'm going to work on a B-Wing fighter next week so if you like I can photograph each stage and upload pictures?

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
I see that AT-ST and think about sending my loose BAT-AT for one of those paint jobs. Do you accept comissions?

I've never done a commission but I wouldn't say no. I think I'm still nailing my technique - more confident in what I'm doing now - though I'm based in the UK. Where are you?  : )

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
am lovin those ships ! welcome to the yards !
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
I've never done a commission but I wouldn't say no. I think I'm still nailing my technique - more confident in what I'm doing now - though I'm based in the UK. Where are you?  : )

In the backwoods of WV in the US I am afraid. It would probably cost more to ship than the cost of it. Hmm.....maybe there is a way for me to get one shipped from the UK to your place. I do like your weathering style.

Offline wheeljack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 05:00:58 AM »
Great looking ships, nice paint and weathering, but just a little to shiny for my taste, I love dirt and rust :)