Author Topic: aboardthedeathstar - my customs...  (Read 6690 times)

Offline aboardthedeathstar

• Cadet
aboardthedeathstar - my customs...
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »
Hey All. This is my first post here. I've been a lifelong Star Wars fan but am only recently getting into model-making and custom painting. I've attached images of a few of my first projects.

Hopefully I've used the right code and my photos reproduce!

The AT-ST was my first custom paint that I did a few months back. It's a vintage Kenner number. I messed around with the yellow colour scheme which I thought was fairly successful… I later found the top gun after I took these photos. I guess looking at it now some brown rust runs would help lift it some?

The Falcon is one of those Revell Easy-Kits. I LOVED painting this. I really wanted to make it look dirty and old - more so than in the films… I gave it my own colour scheme as an experiment in custom spray-painting using masking fluid. I know it's not screen accurate but I love it nonetheless. Managed to get my hands on a 2.5ft Legacy Falcon(!) off eBay recently so I'm excited to work on that..! Might take a lifetime compared to the Revell version though!

Finally the Jedi Starfighter. I don't know about you all but I thought personally maybe the endless colour schemes available on these toys/models is a bit(!) much and I wondered if I could create something a bit more faithful to the original trilogy in that respect. I think I prefer it stripped back and grey though I think a small amount of colour in a y-wing/x-wing style might work… Nothing too overpowering. So maybe a bit of a WIP this one...!

Would love to know what you all think. There are some amazing customisers on here! So feedback welcome. I'm plotting out a few custom mods to old toys I have as well as paint jobs - I got a couple of other things on the go and I'll continue to upload here as I progress.

Thanks for looking!

Alex

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: aboardthedeathstar - my customs...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
Wow, what an awesome weathering style. Look for one of these to be on our front page tomorrow and welcome to the Yards.

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Cool Stuff!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:03:07 AM »
Quite an entrance, those vehicles look pretty cool like that. Welcome to the yards  :)

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »
Excellent work! I wish the ships in the prequels had looked more like your Jedi starfighter; that looks a lot more like the Star Wars I grew up with!

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
Wow, what an awesome weathering style. Look for one of these to be on our front page tomorrow and welcome to the Yards.

Thanks so much for putting my work on the homepage! Really appreciate that - I'm working on jet-black Tie Interceptor at the moment which I'll upload images of soon...

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
Excellent work! I wish the ships in the prequels had looked more like your Jedi starfighter; that looks a lot more like the Star Wars I grew up with!

Thank you! Yeah, I've picked up a few toys from the prequel that I'm looking to customise/custom paint. I got a couple of ARC-170's I want to spray and weather which should be fun...

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
Thanks as well Jedi Minstrel & Incom for your comments. I look forward to uploading more work soon!

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
Wow! Welcome to the Yards! I really love your technique. It gives a nice mechanical effect with a beautiful realism to these vehicles. I'm looking forward to more pix of your work.

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
Great work man! Love the paint apps you are doing they are so finely done. I have to say you Jedi starfighter is amazing, I have wanted to pick one of these up for awhile to repaint and your work has really inspired the direction I will go. Nice to have you on the yards and welcome!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
Now that is an entrance! Wow, all of these models are stunning! Love your paint and weathering style. Can't wait to see more from you...oh yea, welcome to the yards!

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
Welcome! :)
Those are some incredible looking pieces...excellent job!

Offline M4K3R1

• "FEAR IS OUR ALLY"
  • Lieutenant
  • "CODE OF THE SITH ORDER"
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
Love your work, your painting and weathering is awesome, and the small details you give are great.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
All these look terrific, love the final look of the Falcon but especially the Jedi Starfighter.  

Do you mind sharing how you accomplished the look for the Jedi Starfighter?  I'd love to try that style on one of mine.

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »
I see that AT-ST and think about sending my loose BAT-AT for one of those paint jobs. Do you accept comissions?