Author Topic: Updated 06/13/12 Add-ventures in Articulation w/ BL4CK5H33P...  (Read 5447 times)

Offline BL4CK5H33P

• Mandalorian Madman
  • Lieutenant
  • "Mandalorians wear the finest armor blood can buy"
So, I've been sporadically cleanin' & reorganizin' my workbench & have been comin' across some kinda interesting parts... I don't know about the rest of U guys, but, I try to give my customs as much articulation as possible w/o sacrificing design elements. The afore mentioned "interesting" parts, I had previously considered "unusable" - specifically a World Peacekeepers (PTE) buggy driver figure... I was intrigued by the hybrid "T-crotch/hinged" hip articulation combined w/ the mid thigh rotational articulation, but disliked the lower boot/ankle construction... What to do??? Well, I had a WW2 CaptainAmerica that had rocker style ankles with rotational articulation @ the boot tops & decided to attempt a "mating" of the 2... here is the process & end result --- not completely satisfied w/ the position of the single hinged knee, but the proportions seem proper & hopefully I can "disguise" them in the finished product. I am NOT a tutorial guy - this just demonstrates how to get the most out of odd combonations of parts (somethin' I seem to have a knack for) P.S. - most types of lower boot can B modified in a similar fashion (U do not have to use the rocker style ankles)

World Peacekeeper (PTE) crotch & legs - unaltered & pics of the crazy articulation

Lower leg surgery - stage 1

Lower leg surgery - stage 2

Lower leg w/ transplanted Cap boots

Post surgery - articulated poses

action pose

relaxed pose

With torso added & belt area dremelled down

U can see, as depicted in these last few pics, how the rocker style ankles allow for a much greater range of positioning...

Feel free to add any articulation modifications U may have done to this thread...  8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:27:35 AM by BL4CK5H33P »
Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live & die on this day. How we die is equal to how we live. Once more into the breach, my friends, once more, or we close the walls up with our dead...

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
Re: Add-ventures in Articulation w/ BL4CK5H33P...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
cool! that figure looks aweome! what are your plans for it?

Offline BL4CK5H33P

• Mandalorian Madman
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »

THNX gs18 - next step on this one is to sand down all the "mold flash" @ the seam lines - then give it the regular BL4CK5H33P gear/loadout treatment (holsters, straps & pouches) - & I am leanin' towards an AFE/mando assassin styled SANDALORIAN... I am also gonna try my 1st attempt @ a desert colors tiger stripe camo pattern (this fig is kind of a "proving grounds" if U will...) Whichever direction I go, I am very pleased w/ the long/lanky look... I think it will show a good deal of variety in the spectrum of diverse looks that I'm attempting w/ my Mando customs...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:20:55 AM by BL4CK5H33P »
Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live & die on this day. How we die is equal to how we live. Once more into the breach, my friends, once more, or we close the walls up with our dead...

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »

THNX gs18 - next step on this one is to sand down all the "mold flash" @ the seam lines - then give it the regular BL4CK5H33P gear/loadout treatment (holsters, straps & pouches) - & I am leanin' towards an AFE/mando assassin styled SANDALORIAN... I am also gonna try my 1st attempt @ a desert colors tiger stripe camo pattern (this fig is kind of a "proving grounds" if U will...) Whichever direction I go, I am very pleased w/ the long/lanky look... I think it will show a good deal of variety in the spectrum of diverse looks that I'm attempting w/ my Mando customs...

Very Cool! I can"t wait to see it, post step by step pics please!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:19:34 AM »
Cool title, great tutorial. On the front page. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I am always astounded as to the great folks here who will share exactly how they do things.

Offline BL4CK5H33P

• Mandalorian Madman
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »
How to add MU style ball joint hips to Boba Fett...

Some of U have seen the WiP pics of my attack swoop... Well, I needed a rider that could be seated correctly on it... what better character for such an all-out, nasty machine than the Mandalorian man himself... Mr. Boba Fett - In order to do this I needed a better articulated hip joint... & found the cure in the form of a Thor movie Hogun figure... it had the proper "smaller" style ball/swivel joints (I'm fairly certain that any slender MU fig would work)... here is a kwik rundown...

1st - U need 2 cut the Boba legs away from the T-crotch design - just above the thigh pouches - in this case, I used a pair of animated Fett upper legs (I liked the pocket design on this version) & hollow out the thigh w/ a dremel - a larger "bowl" (to accept the ball) & a smaller "socket" hole (to accept the peg)

2nd - U need 2 cut U'r donor hips - making sure U leave enuf material 2 mate the hips 2 the lower abdomen & then shorten the pegs (so they fit N2 the corresponding "socket" hole & don't interfere w/ the knee posts & then test fit & assemble the parts

3rd - U need 2 mod the Fett belt/lower abdomen part, so that it fits over the modded hip part - I used a random SW torso post, that I cut & then drilled a small hole in, gluing it N2 the top of the Fett waist/belt

4th - U need 2 trim the post in the Fett upper torso, so that it can B inserted N2 the hole U drilled in the modded lower torso

5th - assemble the 2 torso parts

6th - set the assembled torso on2 the modded hip

7th & final step - permanantly attach the modded belt part 2 the modded hip part w/ a small dot of adhesive in the front & back 2 secure the parts - resulting in a fully articulated hip on U'r Boba Fett

The last mod I will do to him is add a set of double articulated wrist/hands, so he can grip the handlebars...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:25:03 AM by BL4CK5H33P »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Updated 06/13/12 Add-ventures in Articulation w/ BL4CK5H33P...
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
Wow, what a great reference to make a figure that will actually ride a bike. Very nice. Look for it on the fp soon.

Offline wheeljack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!! Fraking great!!!! those are some great alterations, very good reference tool for anyone wanting to make those peacekeeper dudes into a great action figure. Thanks mate, I have dozens of those dudes laying around serving no better purpose than dead bodies on the battlefield. You have breathed new life and potential into them now :)

Offline Crow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »
i always love these customs that involve surgery. very well done sir.

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:00:29 AM »
Excellent work!!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
Very nice! I've been looking to do something similar but with less work by just converting a Joe fig into Boba Fett. I like how this Boba turned out. Can't wait to see the hands added.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:25:56 AM by CloneSniper78 »

Offline BL4CK5H33P

• Mandalorian Madman
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
Very nice! I've bean looking to do something similar but with less work by just converting a Joe fig into Boba Fett. I like how this Boba turned out. Can't wait to see the hands added.

^^^ I had considered a Joe leg conversion - I just couldn't figure out how 2 do the lower legs & keep them Boba lookin'...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »
Very nice! I've bean looking to do something similar but with less work by just converting a Joe fig into Boba Fett. I like how this Boba turned out. Can't wait to see the hands added.

^^^ I had considered a Joe leg conversion - I just couldn't figure out how 2 do the lower legs & keep them Boba lookin'...

You would have to find a set of legs that looked very similar to boba's originals and then modify them to match boba's style.  Look into my thread and check out some of the super articulated variations of boba and other mando's that I've done.

Sorry I won't be adding a link, I'm rushed for time and can't look it up, but it's on here... or you can look it up on my Deviantart website under spudafett: super articulated Boba Fett.