Author Topic: Raylen's custom figures  (Read 10538 times)

Offline Raylen

• Lieutenant
    • Hole in the Ground Productions
Re: Raylen's custom figures
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2023, 09:07:02 AM »
Not sure if you'd call this more of a repair/restoration?  As with many kids apparently, my Battlestar Galactica Dagget figure lost his tail very quickly. I only ever had Dagget and the Cyclon and I was very fond of this figure. For years, I've wanted to make a new tail and finally prioritized it. Nice thing was I didn't have to buy any new materials. I scavenged a few jewelry beads from my wife's stash that were perfect and I had a coil of soft metal wire of the right diameter. Easy!  And the soft metal means it has UNLIMITED POW- err, I mean... UNLIMITED ARTICULATION!!!!  Mixed some brown and orange paint to match the body and happy with the result. Also took the time to repaint some of the silver and eye paint that was well worn.
Collector by choice. Customizer by necessity

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2023, 02:53:49 AM »
Great looking fix and execution of said...

Off to share.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2023, 03:00:56 PM »
That's totally works! I've noticed that most Muffit figures have broken tails, so this is a good fix to get a Daggit for a lot cheaper than one with an intact tail.

Offline Raylen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2023, 02:51:09 PM »
Been awhile since I worked on a custom figure. Been wanting to do a Shadows of the Empire Luke for awhile now. Nice thing is it was a one day quick project. TVC Death Star II Luke, crappy Walmart Han vest and belt and gun from "open coat" Hoth Han (though I think this belt was used many times. Had to drill a hole through belt and into waist a bit to get the saber hilt to stay. The vest wants to interfere. Overall really happy with it!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2023, 04:28:58 PM »
I like that. It looks really good. How did you color the vest?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2023, 07:35:10 AM »
I would sure pick that up if it were on the pegs.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Raylen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2023, 01:50:47 PM »
I like that. It looks really good. How did you color the vest?

Used Auto Etching Primer, then experimented with colors. A lot of people tend to think of it as a yellow. Like a carry over from the end of ANH. But it really is more a light tan. I used Krylon Fusion Camoflague Tan.

Offline Raylen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2023, 03:14:44 PM »
continuing with my Shadows of the Empire kick, here's my Dash Rendar. Wow, I think this was the heaviest bit of kit bashing I've done on a figure. So for those who want to know the recipe....

Upper torso was from GI Joe 25th Anniversary Zartan (though I believe the same torso was used for Cap. Bludd)  The lower torso and legs were TVC Han Solo from the "Solo" film. Great thing is the two halves mate up perfectly so you can still pose the torso a bit. Now I needed to find a set of bare arms and that's a little harder to find. I forgot I had a medical frigate Luke laying around or I would have tried that first. Also a lot of figures will have an arm band or something you'd have to shave off. I ended up using a Marvel "Warpath" figure. Now I was worried it wouldn't work because he stands a good head taller than most other figures. He's BIG. Fortunately, the arms themselves weren't really longer so although Dash looks pretty ripped, he's not a gorilla!  A bonus here again was that the arm design was the same as the torso and the two arms mated perfectly here as well. The hands on Warpath didn't look right, posed almost like claws and too large. No way to hold anything. I used a pair from a fodder TVC Col Cracken torso I had. Score again as the hands snapped in without modification!

The shoulder armor, puffy shoulders and matching texture on the pants were sculpted from Procreate.  If sculpting isn't your bag, the armor has a similar "look" that you could simply paint the shoulder padding as a shortcut. Now for his head and after looking at hundreds of SW figures, there's nothing even close. I thought that perhaps a Chris Pratt Jurassic Park figure might be the closest to start with. Found a decent one and even though the neck ball seemed much bigger on the JP figure, the head swaps over without any problems. I did have to grind down the Zartan neck a bit cause its huge but the ball didn't need any changes. The holster was from the same Han figure as the color seemed a good match. Gave him a different blaster just to move him a little bit further than just a Han stand in.

As for paints, another blessing was that I had a blue color that matched the pants so I didn't have to paint everything, just the lower torso and the strips on the legs. The color is Apple Barrel brand. Color: 21484E Admiral Blue. The silver armor I spray painted on. Textured padding was DecoArt Americana brand. Color: Cinnamon Stick. For the neck stump and his hair and stubble I mixed whatever I had on hand which was a pain. But I don't feel like spending as much on gas as a couple bottles of paint and wait in line forever behind Christmas shoppers. LOL   Only real corner I cut was not adding the extra strap to the holster. Seemed like more trouble than it'd be worth and I'm more than happy with how this figure turned out. So many potential problems (or more involved work) that were avoided through pure chance. Next on my to-do list is Guri.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2023, 05:06:19 PM »
Very nice! To me your custom is reminiscent of the POTF/SOTE sculpting with modern articulation.
You did another great job on this figure!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2023, 07:03:16 AM »
Man StarLord makes a great Dash! Off to share.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2023, 09:09:10 PM »
Wow, that turned out really well! I like how the parts all fit together. Great job on the sculpted additions.