Author Topic: My first post! Death Star Hangar Bay Diorama...  (Read 9143 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: My first post! Death Star Hangar Bay Diorama...
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
Wow, I'm amazed at sll of the comments, thank you very much.

I'll get some more images together of more of my stuff very soon, in the meantime, I'm off round the forum.

J

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
Very Nice !!

Welcome to the boards.

Can't wait to see more of your work..
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »

I'll get some more images together of more of my stuff very soon, in the meantime, I'm off round the forum.

J

There is some great work posted here. Have fun. Can't wait to see your updates.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 02:33:06 AM »

J

There is some great work posted here. Have fun. Can't wait to see your updates.

Thanks so much for the response to this diorama project, you may not appreciate this but I don't think I would have continued making this stuff had it not been for the kind encouragement I receive.

I'll post some more images very soon.

Best regards,

Hangarbay94

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 02:42:20 AM »
It seems to me you used foamcore and niubniub decals,  excellent, but expensive  ::)
It think you would try to make the floor hole in the hangar, it's annoying to do,but look at mine, and you will see that it changes all  8)
Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Oh man, you can't stop now! Daggone that would be like recalling every walker made. LOL. All kidding aside, I love the way this looks, very realistic. I would be a shame not to finish it. It is stuff like this that has made me think about pursueing my own diorama dreams.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »
Oh man, you can't stop now! Daggone that would be like recalling every walker made. LOL. All kidding aside, I love the way this looks, very realistic. I would be a shame not to finish it. It is stuff like this that has made me think about pursueing my own diorama dreams.

Ok, you have twisted my arm, I'll post some more images. Please watch the forum!!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »
Cmon now, don't tease little ole Tamer.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
It seems to me you used foamcore and niubniub decals,  excellent, but expensive  ::)
It think you would try to make the floor hole in the hangar, it's annoying to do,but look at mine, and you will see that it changes all  8)

Yes, it would have been good to make the floor lift, but my intention was to make the whole thing flat pack for storage, plus I wanted to make the floor out of mountboard rather than foamcore as it wouldn't get damaged if walked on. Believe it or not, the whole hangar diorama folds flat in a matter of seconds, there is only a small foamcore section consisting of a corridor and blast door, which attaches with Velcro.

Even though I get a huge buzz out of buildig this stuff, they need to be child friendly as it is intended to be played with. The dio's also have to take up as little storage space as possible as it needs to fit in with my wife's wishes in not wanting the house to be a perminant Star Wars shrine (as would be my wishes).

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »
Both of those options make the construction a bigger challenge, indeed. Hats off to you, buddy. Those are both feats in engineering as well as was building the thing in the first place.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »
Both of those options make the construction a bigger challenge, indeed. Hats off to you, buddy. Those are both feats in engineering as well as was building the thing in the first place.

Indeed....

I've been looking at the amazing Death Star Franck is making and I made something similar a year or so ago, it was my first foray into Dirama making. It was a modular system made up of sections that could be stacked in numerous different combinations, the hangar base and side walls were reversable and could turn into the Trench. As a toy it was a great idea, and Hasbro could make a mint making something similar using industrial methods, but in reality, on mine the decals peel off easily and the whole thing is a bit too fragile for everyday play (I have a 4 year old and a seven year old, so anything I make needs to pass the ultimate play test).

It comes out of it's box occasionally but it needs to be stored in the garage as it's so bloody huge, if  I left it out, the gloss floors quickly attracted massive amounts of dust. I vowed that if I was going to create anything else, it needed to be tougher and more child friendly, after all, I love making the stuff and taking pictures, but my kids are the ones who play with it all. I think Franck is taking the idea a step further and is certainly making a better job of it in terms of the design.  You'll probably see elements of my set used in a forthcoming photonovel.

Here was my Death Star 1:

As a consolation for having to store the playset in the garage I quickly made a miniture hangar bay for my eldest for his bedside shelf.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:33:17 PM by hangarbay94 »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »
Super killer stuff, buddy. I think it's great that you make this stuff for your kids.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »
Daggone, awesome stuff again. I love the way you make this stuff modular, able to be torn down and stored. I too wish hasbro would make something like this with thier production capacity. You make this stuf for your kids, can you adopt me?

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 03:23:53 PM »
Daggone, awesome stuff again. I love the way you make this stuff modular, able to be torn down and stored. I too wish hasbro would make something like this with thier production capacity. You make this stuf for your kids, can you adopt me?

Get in lline Dude...Get in line ;D

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 03:41:36 PM »
As far as thr modular idea goes, I am most proud of a modular playset i made for my eldest sone for his 6th Birthday, and it's possibly his and most of the neighbours kids (judging by the number of times I catch them playing with it) favourite.  If you are old enough to remember Starbird, it was inspired by the cardboard base that accompanied it.

I'm probably most proud of this one (apart from the Landing pad) as it's totally my own creation...If you don't mind me going off topic for a moment I'd love to share the images with you!