Author Topic: Glue and styrofoam  (Read 1556 times)

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
Glue and styrofoam
« on: March 08, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
Hey all.

I have zero experience with working with styrofoam.  Have a bunch of extra parts and pieces from packing my move and new furniture, and I was going to make a small dio.

Wondering what type of glue would be best to use to join styrofoam to styrofoam, and have it be secure.  Also want to use the same stuff to join styro to cardboard, and/or styro to cardstock.

Sorry for the silly question guys but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Glue and styrofoam
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
Use a hot glue gun. If it has 2 settings use the lower one so it doesn't melt through.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Hot glue will work, but I like to use a construction glue from Bison, which is suitable for styrofoam. It's a multi purpose heavy construction glue, which can also be used to glue those foam ornament to the ceiling. Check the home improvement store and check if there are glues suitable for styrofoam.

Spookymufu

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
Hot glue will melt styro, I use regular white glue. It takes longer but works

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:03 AM »
Thanks guys...
Hot glue gun was what I thought, but like LS says, you need a 2-setting one. 
i've seen/heard from many that you need a better, expensive glue gun with multi-temp settings and special glue, to keep from expanding... all glue gun options for me are either too much money or very difficult to find here.

I think the white glue style might be best, is it OK to go Elmer's style or is there a better option?

Could I use an industrial wood glue?  I have a tube of this great HQ wood glue I bought at the hardware store, that the guy told me doesn't eat finishes or paint, takes a long time to dry (which is what I wanted), and is perfect for porous surfaces like wood.

Sorry for all the questions about something so easy!  Trying to do this right for something that will be in my display for a long while.  There's no craft warehouse spot like a Michaels here and my Spanish is horrible so I have to wing it a bit.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:58:07 AM »
Hey if you don't have 2 settings on the glue gun just plug it in to get hot and unplug it while you use it and the glue will be cool enough not to eat through the styrofoam.