Author Topic: Request for help with "painting faces"  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
Request for help with "painting faces"
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
Hey folks

Got a request for a bit of help here...I'm confident enough painting armour,clothes,ships and even hair...

But faces freak me out!!

I'd love to be able to use resin cast heads to save a bit of money (rather than buying whole figures all the time) But I done know how to go about painting them!

LE, Dayton and Hangerbay and three of you guys whose work instantly jumps out - any chance of a head painting tutorial please?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Request for help with "painting faces"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
I think if you snoop around Hangarbay94's thread he talks about a painting faces tutorial that I want to say Dayton did awhile back. His blog might be a good spot to look for that too.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Excellent, thanks Shawn!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
If I can find some time I will look for it too and then link it here. I would just like to review it again. I know Jules used it with great success at the time.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Great topic and thanks for calling me out as this is something I have really tried to get better at. Dayton did indeed cover this in his blog so all the answers are there. I think Ron Hemble also has a section at  his site on this. The big thing for me is cleaning my brush often, I am talking every 3 dips in the paint I dip it in water and wipe it with the paper towel. I also water the paint down and use several layers with different tones then cover everything with the original tone I started with. That helps blend everything together for me. The thing to do is just keep trying and figure out what works best for you after hearing these techniques as others chime in. I know Jules has been doing a good bit with an air brush and that provides great results.

Offline EnigmaticOne

• But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
  • Cadet
  • Su cuy'gar ner vod
    • My Other account
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
Is there more info on this? I am not sure where else to navigate towards to besides Dayton's work.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
This is an excellent tutorial by Hemble, showcasing how to paint a 1/6 (?) scale Ki Adi Mundi head. Very detailed and perhaps a tad too elaborate for 3 3/4", but it's a very good reference.

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomtutorial.php?id=2

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
Thats great. If anyone can find me that link for Daytons great tutorial I would love to watch that one again too.