Author Topic: Blanx Action Figures  (Read 9042 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Blanx Action Figures
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
Go Native Toys

Seriously, these things look great!  They're 3 3/4", so they should fit in just fine with the rest of your Star Wars collection, and at $7 a pop, they're actually cheaper than the SW figures on most shelves!
I plan on getting a few of these and making custom D&D Eberron figures!  I need me a Warforged!

My only complaint with the figure is that, even though it's 3 3/4", it's not quite as tall as standard G.I. Joe figures. 
Here you can see the scale issue.

Alone, the figure is pretty great, though; because of the O-ring style waist, you can swap the torso out with other figures if you like, and it comes with the G.I. Joe style double-jointed knees by default.

From what reviews I can find of the figures online, they appear to be ever so slightly textured to allow paint to bond to the figure better.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:36:21 PM by smeagol92055 »
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Re: Blanx Action Figures
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
I wonder if you'd be so kind as to pick me up one and send it this way,we could trade or I could send you some money.I am intrested in customizing one of those.hit me up in a PM,thanx.

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »
The Website has direct order!  The link's in my original post.   ;D

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
Dang no female bodies... lame

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Silver Rider38

• Customs Padawan
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »
I immediately thought this was an awesome idea. A few years ago, my cousin and I wished for something like this. I am disappointed that it's Paypal only...

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
Dang no female bodies... lame

The FAQ on the website seems to imply that if sales of the Alpha Male figure (the one pictured) can justify it, they'll produce female figures as well.  On their Website, you can actually see a group shot of what appears to be several different body styles and colors.  I guess the only way to get this done is to buy some figures so they can justify mass producing their entire line!  ;D

Offline Silver Rider38

• Customs Padawan
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »
They are only $7 each, plus s&h...  ;D

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
I just bought three of them - shipping to the UK was $20. Not great but at least at that price you'd expect them to arrive fairly quickly!

I couldn't help myself after looking at the custom Mando on the users gallery page.

My three are going to become custom SW/Centurions crossovers!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:28:21 AM »
I just bought three of them - shipping to the UK was $20. Not great but at least at that price you'd expect them to arrive fairly quickly!

I couldn't help myself after looking at the custom Mando on the users gallery page.

My three are going to become custom SW/Centurions crossovers!

give us a good review of the figs when you get them... take pics if you can, details of their construction, how easy they are to take apart, all that jazz...

i've been saying for years that hasbro needs to get on the ball and offer blank clones/stormtroopers with a paint set... or go one step further and offer blank figures like this for customizers. 

heck, even a generic grunt GI-Joe that has swappable parts would be amazing for customizing!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
Folks as this is not an actual custom from a member I am gonna move it to the resources and references thread as it seems to be better placed there.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »
                     Blanx Alpha Male figure

First off I only ordered these on 16/12/2011 - the arrived in the UK (From the US) a few days later - $20 for postage, but boy golly it was quick. I ordered three of these figs for converting into custom figures ala StitchFett's Micromen Clones.

The good...

The figure is well made, easy to take down and extremely posable. He comes with two heads and three pairs of hands! The plastic seems hard wearing, textured to take paint and the joints have good clearance.

The figure has a nubbed neck on a ball socket - making for a good range of head movement. The legs have the SA double jointed knee, in a similar style to most modern Joes. The legs attach to the pelvis in the same manner as a Joe and the Blanx figure also has the old fashioned O-Ring torso. The torso is easy to take down with one screw.

The not so good?

This guys is a little short. Here's a comparison with a couple of other figures...

And here he is with a Joe head

We all know that the Avatar figures were a little shorter than 3.75" it would appear that this guys is a little off as well. Not as much as my Avatar figure, but he is short compared to other SW figs, let alone modern GI Joes. Also his shouder joints are a little bulbous, his thighs are a little weird too.

HOWEVER those niggles are minor, over all the Blanx figure is great and has a lot of potential for yarders, the plastic is good quality and as a base figure he offers some great possibilities for customizing. This figure will make a great base for some SA custom Mandos / Clones / Armoured figures - I can't wait for my dremmel to arrive so I can try and take my customising to the next level...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:13:11 AM by Wookie-Balls »

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »
Thanks for the review and for taking one for the team and ordering this guy!  I'm really chomping at the bit to get my hands on a few of these as well.
I'm going to make a couple of my D&D characters out of them!  One of them will be a warforged, so that will be interesting to work around the height issue.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 01:41:57 AM »
meh.... the scale issues and the weird shoulder-hip size ratio is just killing it for me.  those hips look FUBAR... 

Do something for me wookie-balls, see if the ball joint at the hip on the Blanx will accept a gi-joe thigh... the longer joe legs might make up for a bit of the height issue, but then of course you loose those nicely sculpted legs.

Like I said, if the torso was sculpted a little better, with better proportions, I might be more atuned to getting these.

I'll keep my reservations about a female version... if that were made available I'd probably get a bunch of those!  there aren't enough 1:18th scale female figures. 

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
meh.... the scale issues and the weird shoulder-hip size ratio is just killing it for me.  those hips look FUBAR... 

Do something for me wookie-balls, see if the ball joint at the hip on the Blanx will accept a gi-joe thigh... the longer joe legs might make up for a bit of the height issue, but then of course you loose those nicely sculpted legs.

Like I said, if the torso was sculpted a little better, with better proportions, I might be more atuned to getting these.

I'll keep my reservations about a female version... if that were made available I'd probably get a bunch of those!  there aren't enough 1:18th scale female figures. 

For me, the weird proportions don't kill this for me at all.  If anything, it gives a nice clean, uncluttered base to build on with epoxy and other sculpting materials.  Gives a lot of room for clothes/armor/robes to go smoothly over the top without bulking out the figure, and since most of us are going to swap the legs out anyway, that should go quite a ways towards fixing the height problem.  I intend to get a few of these soon.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
I would like to get Dayton's take on this figure as it would seem to fit his style of whittling the figure down to nothing and then rebuilding it. Perhaps taking this to our facebook page is in order.